Carol the Dabbler

"Sherlock" actors we've seen elsewhere

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Do you watch BM too? Why didn't you say so? Let's have a very very nerdy discussion thread! XD

Nope, sorry, have never seen it -- just looked up Robinson on IMDb.  :D

:cry::cry: I need nerdy friends before I kill all my existing ones with my boring topics!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, I was nerdy before the word even existed!  I just don't happen to watch Black Mirror.

Last week I revisited Inspector Lewis, Season 8.  In the second episode, The Lions of Nemea, one of the guest actresses looked sooo familiar to me, but I couldn't place where I'd seen her before.  Roll end credits, and duh . . it was Sian Brooke (Eurus).  I did not recognize her at first because she was sporting her naturally blonde hair and playing a sort of frumpy Mummy--a complete 180 from Sherlock's psychotic little sis. Though this woman had been quite naughty and created all sorts of problems in her marriage and family.  Her actions drive someone to commit triple homicide.  She's just not the doer this time.

This episode aired two years prior to Sherlock 4, so Sian qualifies as someone I'd seen before and I just didn't realize I'd had.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Hikari said:

I did not recognize her at first because she was sporting her naturally blonde hair and playing a sort of frumpy Mummy--a complete 180 from Sherlock's psychotic little sis.

She does seem to be a natural chameleon, even judging by just the four "roles" she played in Sherlock.

Speaking of other favorite British detective shows of mine featuring a Sherlock actress . . 

I had not seen Loo Brealey prior to her appearance as Molly (a role which would have been a one-off, only in the first episode, but Loo was such a fan favorite from her very first appearance, producers made Molly a full-fledged recurring cast member, and 'Too right!' we say to that.)  2014 was a busy year for Loo, because in addition to filming Sherlock 3, she also appeared in a seven-episode run as "Dr. Amelia Frayn" on Ripper Street, also on the BBC.  Loo's look is eminently suited to playing a Victorian, and the fact that her character was a doctor--extremely rare, if not nonexistent in the Victorian era--cemented her lock on daring, feminist characters.  Molly is a daring feminist in her own quiet way.  Her alter ego in The Abominable Bride is what Molly is like on the inside.  :)

The following year, Loo appeared on another of my favorite shows, Inspector George Gently.  Here's hoping that we haven't seen the last of this very talented woman (who studied with a noted clown teacher as part of her training)

Loo is the polar opposite in physicality from Laurie R. King's Mary Russell, but I could actually stomach Russell if Loo would play her.  She's 39 and therefore technically too old for Russell, but that's a quibble; she looks much younger than that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hikari said:

[Molly] would have been a one-off, only in the first episode, but Loo was such a fan favorite from her very first appearance, producers made Molly a full-fledged recurring cast member....

A producer favorite actually.  By the time Study in Pink was aired, Molly had already been included in Blind Banker and Great Game.

I believe the usual story is that she was meant to be only in Pink, but was so good that she was made a regular.  But that doesn't quite wash either, considering that the Series 1 episodes were reportedly filmed in reverse order.  And as I recall her scenes in Banker and Game are pretty brief.

Well in any case she obviously impressed Moftiss right off the bat.  And you're quite right that she's a favorite with the fans as well.

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

Loo is the polar opposite in physicality from Laurie R. King's Mary Russell, but I could actually stomach Russell if Loo would play her.  She's 39 and therefore technically too old for Russell, but that's a quibble; she looks much younger than that.

I've been giving this some thought.  The main problem I see is that although LB would be a fine choice to play Russell in adaptations of the later books, the first book is by far my favorite and the next few are still good, but I seem to have lost interest after a few more.  And youthful or not, I can't imagine LB passing for 15, or even 18.

I’m thinking the idea to include Molly in more episodes is likely based on the pilot as she was in it. So when that episode got re-worked to a 90, they included her in the other 2 episodes as well.

• Thanks 1

Oh, right, she was!  I was thinking not, but I just checked Ariane DeVere's transcript, and now I remember liking the "donated his body" line.  So yeah, obvious.  Duh!   :picard:😛

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, I was nerdy before the word even existed!  I just don't happen to watch Black Mirror.

Do you still if Star Trek doesn't count :lol4:?

Hey, Star Trek still counts!  (I'm talking about the original series, of course. :llap:). But I was nerdy before Star Trek!  Now I'm a nerdy old fogy.  :xmas2:  (Especially at Christmas.)

• Like 2

:D Why Christmas in particular?

I believe you are, even without Star Trek. XD It’s compliment btw.

In RL I actually feel that I don’t have my fix of nerds. Not that I eat them, but I long for mindless good in depth discussions where we can talk about anything and everything. I probably only have met very few people in that capacity all my life, and I would say only one goes to really crazy desirable depth, but none of them are near now.

I’m curious on how do you think yourself as one, as I’m also not very sure if I fit into classic category but I never feel I’m not.

What I see in popular culture, nerds are normally portrayed in shows as Star Trek and Star Wars fan (so not), into games like Dungean and Dragons, Warcraft etc (I relate with similar games but had never played these), very into with Superheroes and comics (indifferent) and basically really really hate being outdoor and sport (love them!), very much into gadgets (nope, only those I find useful) and very awkward but trying not to.

For me, I think being obsessive and curious in something certainly counts as one, and have to admit I am academically boring as good grade is some kind of duty for me.  I tend to be interested with people who maintain high concentration and interest and putting their mind into topic of discussion and find AD, although not ADD, as highly unattractive. I’m into those nerd stuffs: math, chemistry, books, scifi but not those sitting in the corner with spec, scrawny with pale skin. Pretty active in sports and outdoor, not in social way, never join what was mainstream but wasn’t categorized as loner as well. I am awkward because I choose not to join certain activities or discussion but don’t think it’s awkward in term of trying to fit in and fail/made fun of because I can manage myself in social situation well if I want to, although for very limited amount of time.

I think the portrayal of nerds is very stereotypical and not accurate. But then again, maybe there are sub categories like geeks and dorks. There I’m lost at which and which. Whatever it is, I think we are kewlll :) 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 2:14 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Why Christmas in particular?

Because the only old-fogy emotie that we have is wearing a Santa hat.  I admit it's awkward dressing that way in July, but I do my best to be forum-complient.

I believe you are, even without Star Trek. XD It’s compliment btw.

Thank you.  :smile:

m curious on how do you think yourself as one, as I’m also not very sure if I fit into classic category but I never feel I’m not.

Having been a nerd since before the word existed, I've never been entirely certain what the exact meaning of the word is.  Basically "non-cool" I think, where "cool" is defined by the in-crowd, which I have never thought I was part of.  But there are a lot of non-conformists that I would not consider to be nerds.  Or geeks.  And I'm not really sure what the difference is supposed to be.  (But dorks are different.  Not even nerds and geeks think dorks are cool.)

I guess at least part of it is defining your own cool -- like Moffat thinking it was super cool that he had read every single one of Conan Doyle's Holmes stories, or like a Trek fan taking pride in knowing all 79 episodes.

I think maybe an avid stamp collector would be a nerd, but not a geek.  (Those who are more in tune with the current vocabulary may feel free to correct me.)  A geek has to be more techie in some way, i think, like being into computers or science fiction.

But your question was why I consider myself to be a nerd/geek.  Well, when we were bored in class, my friend and I used to write notes to each other -- in Latin.  That's pretty nerdy, I think.  And I spent most of my career very happily writing software in Forth (which is kind of a cult language).  I think that qualifies me as a geek.

However I do not care to be called a nerd or a geek by anybody who isn't one themselves, because I well remember when those words (like Trekkie) were insults.

• Like 1

I was in band from 6th grade until I finished university. We called ourselves band geeks and the choir people were choir nerds. With the way my brain works and the random bits of knowledge I know from across the various subject matters, geek or nerd apply even if I didn’t fully apply myself in school. With that said, and kind of shows my brainy side, I used to rarely do my Spanish homework in secondary school and still get A’s on the tests.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

... I used to rarely do my Spanish homework in secondary school and still get A’s on the tests.

You must have had a good teacher, then.  The aforementioned friend and I quickly discovered that the way to make good grades in chemistry class was to ignore the teacher completely (meanwhile entertaining ourselves with the aforementioned notes) and then skim the chapter the night before the test.    The teacher used ready-made tests from the textbook publisher, he graded on the curve, and the kids who had actually been listening in class were so confused by his lectures that we easily made straight A's.

She was good and my brain retained what she taught. My issues came with the oral as it takes my brain awhile to process the foreign language I hear. If it had been written questions with oral answers, I would not have had too much issues at all.