Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Lifting The Ban on Series Four Spoilers.

As it has now been a decent amount of time since the airing of series 4 of Sherlock we feel it is prudent to relax the ban on discussion of series 4 episodes in the general Sherlock discussion areas.

We would ask that members continue to keep within the bounds of topic titles and subjects, in order to make it easier for people to choose which discussions they wish to view.

Photo

How has Sherlock impacted your life?

Sherlock Sherlock BBC Sherlocks impact your stories

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 startspreading

startspreading

Trainee Detective Constable

• 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

I’m involved in a Sherlock-themed project and I want to know from fans: how has Sherlock impacted your life? Has it helped in a pivotal moment? Has it changed the way you see things? How was your experience as a Sherlock fan?

#2 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 13,352 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hi there, Betty Boop! :smile:

Let's see ... I think the major impact on my life is spending way too much time on this forum! :D It's really quite an odd thing, to spend so much time sharing thoughts with people you don't even know. But I quite love the international aspect of it. And it's always a good feeling to discover there are other people who share your affection for something; you realize you're not just weird. Or as Sherlock would say, it's very affirming. :)

It's opened me up to productions I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise, such as Frankenstein. Although that's to do more with a certain actor than with Sherlock the show.

I do sort of identify with Sherlock and his difficulty "fitting in." I don't think that's really had an impact on my life, though; it just helps me enjoy the show more.

That's about all I can think of; hope it helps. Good luck with your project!

• Inge l-w, Van Buren Supernova and Amber§ like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#3 Shadow Dweller

Shadow Dweller

Consulting Detective

• 1,809 posts
  • LocationChocolate Store (I am the choco-monster!) or behind the screen
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Six Thatchers

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

I meet a lot of like-minded people in this forum, which I found when searching to see what kind of fandom the series had spawned. :) My life is much richer since then, less headache from constantly surrounded only by aliens. Right on the moment I desperately need discussion partners who can talk like mature and knowledgeable people. It doesn't hurt that the discussion topics and process are interesting. :)
  • Carol the Dabbler, Arcadia, Inge l-w and 2 others like this
We are Sherlockian, speculating is part of the fun ;) M is Mycroft, Moriarty, Mary and Magnussen. I am M, a fangirl :P "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." - Plato

#4 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 3,644 posts
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hi welcome, do participate outside as well. Don't you want to know how does it feel to enter the world of ahemm..reasonable and well behaved Sherlock fans?

To me, I've never found a character I can relate to as well as Sherlock although my life is nowhere as exciting as his, and my brain is nowhere near his.

And there are no other series that makes me feel the way I feel like Sherlock for prolonged time. There are some that come close, like the one I kind of falling for a real life genius but still to me, Sherlock presses many right buttons that I care enough to seek for a forum. I have only joined three other forums all my life. Two were for hobbies and only one was for TV show to get certain info and heartlessly abandoned after a few weeks, all dated long time ago.

Like Arcadia and Shadow, I am grateful for faceless people I meet here (well not exactly faceless, they look like their avatars, I know :P), I enjoy having weird discussions with like-minded people here. Strangely enough, I actually share more with members here than real life as I feel safer hiding behind my anonymity. Much more I guess, so I'm afraid I have to kill you all someday.

Ah.. of course, Sherlock makes me slightly more crazier. Just slightly. Of course.
  • Carol the Dabbler, Arcadia, Shadow Dweller and 2 others like this
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
I said I'd tell you the truth. Didn't say you'd like it.

#5 Amber§

Amber§

Detective Superintendent

• 218 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

I remember that a friend of mine introduced me to the series. I loved it so much that, since then, I sterted watching and rewatching the episodes, reading all Conan Doyle's books and now I'm a fan of all the films/tv series that talk about investigation and mysteries (such as "Law and order", "Rizzoli and Isles" and so on).

I started observing people a bit more carefully, trying to understand them, as Sherlock does. It may seem stupid, but the charachter of Sherlock helped me to open a bit more to the world, to start thinking and reasoning in a more precise way. For exemple, I find the tecnique of the mind palace so useful (difficult to useof course, but so useful).

Then, the frienship between Sherlock and John always reminds me that very different people could become close friends, could face difficulties together.

Finally, I'm writing in this forum, "talking" with people from all over the world, as Arcadia was saying. I think that's very beautiful :)

• Arcadia, Inge l-w and Van Buren Supernova like this

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad." "How do you  know I’m mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

#6 T.o.b.y

T.o.b.y

Consulting Detective

• 5,134 posts
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

It's the first time I have ever been a real fan of anything, let alone interacted with other fans. And I am in my thirties... There's just nothing quite like it in my eyes. I love Sherlock.
  • Boton likes this
"All lives end - all hearts are broken" / "The East Wind takes us all in the end"

#7 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,645 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

It's the first time I have ever been a real fan of anything, let alone interacted with other fans. And I am in my thirties...

I'm probably your mother's age, and this is only my second fandom -- with the first being the original Star Trek. And nothing in all the decades between.
  • Boton, Inge l-w, Van Buren Supernova and 1 other like this

-- Carol

#8 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 13,352 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

This is the only fandom I've been this involved in. To be more specific, it's the first one where I felt compelled to connect with other fans; and once I did, felt like I fit in.

• Shadow Dweller likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#9 Boton

Boton

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

I'm in my 40s.  Sherlock is my second fandom; my first was the original Star Trek, which I watched in reruns and the original movies.  

I think everyone above has talked about the feeling of "finding your tribe" and enjoying the interaction.  That's true for me.

Also, as someone who tests (but maybe doesn't always act?) intelligent, being exposed to Sherlock has given me permission to let my brains show a little more in my daily life. At least for someone my age and background, it has always been a bit of a balancing act to determine how "smart" you could act and still be permitted to enjoy and project feminine qualities; there has always been a de-feminizing effect of being "too" smart.  Ironically, even though Sherlock and Mycroft are men, their unflinching acceptance and use of their own intelligence has given me permission to use mine without caring quite so much about what others might think and about whether or not people think it's appropriate.  I don't really think the majority of the people I encounter on a daily basis are idiots, but there is something comforting about being marginalized for your intellect and thinking "I'm surrounded by goldfish."  It is a good coping mechanism when applied judiciously.

Beside that, Sherlock has gotten me to read the ACD canon.  I have never been terribly interested in reading mysteries before, and my school-age exposure to Doyle was always that the library would trot out Baskervilles every Halloween and put it on display, and the boys would talk about how scary it was.  But watching Sherlock has given me enough touchstones that I can now read and enjoy the canon, thinking about the Holmes & Watson relationship or imagining Holmes flouncing around being a drama queen when he wants to show off.  And I still squeal happily when I encounter a line or a scene that was used in or adapted for the show.

• Carol the Dabbler, J.P., Van Buren Supernova and 1 other like this

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com

#10 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,645 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

... Sherlock is my second fandom; my first was the original Star Trek....

... being exposed to Sherlock has given me permission to let my brains show a little more in my daily life. At least for someone my age and background, it has always been a bit of a balancing act to determine how "smart" you could act and still be permitted to enjoy and project feminine qualities....

Funny -- that's how I reacted to Spock! In my case, that was during the network run, back when it was trendy for a woman to be both a competent professional and, well, a woman. I kind of felt like Spock would understand how that felt, since he was also a product of two worlds, and not really at home in either.
  • Boton and Inge l-w like this

-- Carol

#11 hann156

hann156

Detective Inspector

• 63 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Wow, so nice to see that "older" people are fans of Sherlock. :D I have thought that I'm pretty old for fandoms and I'm only 26. Maybe it's because people around me aren't actually fans of anything specific series. Or they don't just admit it!

Yup, I have to admit that Sherlock isn't my only fandom. In different periods in my life, I have been a fan for many things, for example Star Wars, X-Men and J-rock bands. Fandom gives life something from imaginative world and you can expand it with fanfiction and fanart also, which is a very nice extra. In modern life where everything is about career, starting your own family, money and stuff like that, fandom gives a place to rest and to be "not so serious". And the special bonus is in this Internet era that you are able to meet interesting people around the world who share the same interest. :) As some of you have mentioned earlier in this topic, this forum feels a warm and safe community and I don't have to fear that I sound stupid or anything else.

• Arcadia, Boton, Shadow Dweller and 2 others like this

You are not a puzzle solver, you never have been. You’re a drama queen.

#12 Boton

Boton

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

I don't have to fear that I sound stupid or anything else.

In fact, we take turns sounding stupid, so if you'd like us to add you to the rota, we can let you know when it's your day.   :D

• Carol the Dabbler, Arcadia and SherlockedCAMPer like this

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com

#13 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 13,352 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

Although you should be aware that I frequently forget which day is mine, and go out of turn.

Such as ... (and here's an "old person" question if there ever was one) ... what does the "J" in J-Rock mean? Japanese? Juvenile? Je ne sais quoi? :D

• Carol the Dabbler and SherlockedCAMPer like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#14 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,645 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:50 AM

Jailhouse? Jazzy? Jumpin'?
  • Arcadia and SherlockedCAMPer like this

-- Carol

#15 Van Buren Supernova

Van Buren Supernova

Consulting Detective

• 3,644 posts
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

John Watson. John Harrison. Obviously.
Geez guys.

In fact, we take turns sounding stupid, so if you'd like us to add you to the rota, we can let you know when it's your day. :D

:blanket: there is a turn??
Eh, how many time exactly did I steal someone else's turn then?

I need a season pass.

P.S. you guys should really put all these things in the fine print in the sign up page. Tsk..tsk.
  • Carol the Dabbler, SherlockedCAMPer, Boton and 1 other like this
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
I said I'd tell you the truth. Didn't say you'd like it.

#16 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 13,352 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:38 AM

But it's so much more to make the rules up as we go along! :D

• SherlockedCAMPer likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#17 hann156

hann156

Detective Inspector

• 63 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

Such as ... (and here's an "old person" question if there ever was one) ... what does the "J" in J-Rock mean? Japanese? Juvenile? Je ne sais quoi? :D

Mwahahah, maybe I'll keep it as a secret. =D But we can decide it is John Watson rock, because it sounds so freaking cool.

And yes, I want to be a member of "saying stupid and awkward things club" !

• SherlockedCAMPer likes this

You are not a puzzle solver, you never have been. You’re a drama queen.

#18 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 15,645 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

@startspreading -- We seem to have gone a bit off course here. Maybe if you'd ask a few more specific questions, it'd help us focus.

-- Carol

#19 Inge l-w

Inge l-w

Consulting Detective

• 1,897 posts
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

Well, to answer the original question, I am about two months younger than BC. I was first introduced to him by a friend while watching Star Trek:Into Darkness and she happened to mention a modernised version of Sherlock Holmes. My inital reaction was to be appalled! How dare they? Then, an Internet friend with whom we share an interest in WWII U-boats pointed me to this forum. She has more or less given up, because the forum is separated into tribes: Sherlockians who have watched almost any adaptation, like me, and others who are devoted to this particular version. The main point is to have fun while playing around in this forum!
So, basically, it is not this version which has impacted my life, because I find it puerile, full of plotholes and plagiarisms from other shows, but the members of the forum itself with their wit, endlessly patient moderators, and even an unparalleled technical support!
  • SherlockedCAMPer, Boton and hann156 like this
"All I have to say has already crossed your mind."
"Then possibly my answer has crossed yours."

#20 sittything

sittything

Consulting Detective

• 2,631 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

It introduced me to Mark Gatiss and Loo Brealey and for that I am forever grateful.   Adorable cupcakes.

• Arcadia and SherlockedCAMPer like this

Howling ghosts: they reappear
In mountains that are stacked with fear,
But you're a king and I'm a lionheart.

("King and Lionheart," Of Monsters and Men)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sherlock, Sherlock BBC, Sherlocks impact, your stories