Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Lifting The Ban on Series Four Spoilers.

As it has now been a decent amount of time since the airing of series 4 of Sherlock we feel it is prudent to relax the ban on discussion of series 4 episodes in the general Sherlock discussion areas.

We would ask that members continue to keep within the bounds of topic titles and subjects, in order to make it easier for people to choose which discussions they wish to view.

Photo

How has Sherlock impacted your life?

Sherlock Sherlock BBC Sherlocks impact your stories

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 14,723 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:06 AM

Such as ... (and here's an "old person" question if there ever was one) ... what does the "J" in J-Rock mean? Japanese? Juvenile? Je ne sais quoi? :D

Mwahahah, maybe I'll keep it as a secret. =D But we can decide it is John Watson rock, because it sounds so freaking cool.

And yes, I want to be a member of "saying stupid and awkward things club" !

You are hereby inducted. Congratulations, or something. :P

• SherlockedCAMPer likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#22 Inge l-w

Inge l-w

Consulting Detective

• 1,930 posts
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

@Sitty, you should ask verentjoeng to do cupcake versions in plaster of your favourite charters! The lady is very talented and all her surplus goes to support schools and educational opportunities in Indonesia!
  • Carol the Dabbler and SherlockedCAMPer like this
"All I have to say has already crossed your mind."
"Then possibly my answer has crossed yours."

#23 Artemis

Artemis

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 660 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

My first introduction to anything Holmes happened when I was very little, with the Disney movie "The Great Mouse Detective". I liked it, but my brother wouldn't let me watch anything else, because he didn't like the other movies I liked. So he made me watch it all the time, every day... and after awhile it became like eating Ramen noodles for every meal. Even the thought of it made me so sick, that it tainted whatever interest I might have had and put me off of exploring anything else Holmes for a very long time.

Except for a very brief period in middle school, my next exposure didn't come until 2012, after the Guy Ritchie films had come out. Sometime prior I was visiting my brother, and he popped in the first one; but he talked the whole way through, so I had no idea what was going on. What I saw didn't seem particularly interesting to me. Another day, I was visiting someone else, and she popped the second movie in. But not only did she also talk the whole way through, she started it in the middle and cut it off before the end. So once again I had no idea what was going on.

Fast forward a bit, and one late night I was up and looking for a world to throw myself into. I had seen all my movies a bajillion times, so I took a look at my dad's collection, and remembered I had not seen the "Sherlock Holmes" movies all the way through (or really at all). Figured I may as well give it one more try (I was over my aversion to "The Great Mouse Detective", by the way). I made myself some tea and a fried egg, and watched them both.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved them. I watched them again many times. Then I realized that hey, Sherlock Holmes is a major literary figure, there must be tons of other Holmes stuff out there! So I did some searching, and that's when I came across "Sherlock" on Amazon. I wasn't too sure about it at first. I love period films, so the modernization threw me off a bit. But I was quickly impressed by the way they adapted it, and by the end of the first episode I was hooked, and by the pool scene in TGG, I was really really hooked. I was so bummed when I figured out that each season was only 3 episodes. As soon as I could I went out and bought the books, and I watched several other adaptions as well. "Sherlock" is my favorite, though the Guy Ritchie films remain close to my heart and take second place.

I struggle with severe depression, and isolation. I have a habit of ensconcing myself in a book, movie, or TV show when it's at its worst, to keep from drowning in my darkest thoughts. I search for something new, and when I find "that one", I will watch it over and over until I've managed to work myself out of the pit. As someone who has difficulty connecting with people and has lacked in relationships ever since I was a child, I've always used film theater as a way to experience connection. I find characters and situations I relate to and explore humanity, theirs and mine, through them. There have been days when a TV show was all that kept me going that day. "Sherlock" came around just when I needed it.
  • Carol the Dabbler, Arcadia, Shadow Dweller and 3 others like this

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#24 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 14,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Wait until the hiatus has dragged out for several years. At least you won't be alone in your depression. :P (Okay, okay, I've suffered from it too, so I get to make jokes about it, right? Right? Uh-oh.....
R1Zhpv1.jpg?2

• Inge l-w and Artemis like this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#25 Inge l-w

Inge l-w

Consulting Detective

• 1,930 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

I feel for both of you, dear Arcadia and Artemis! I suffered from post-partum depression after the birth of my daughter, which is more common than one may think, and medication was problematic due to breast-feeding! Literally pulled myself out of it (not completely, I still have black moods my family has come to recognise) by the bootstraps, and when my attending physician wrote out a prescription, I did exactly what the joke above says: I threw the blasted pills out the window!
At about the same time, I started my involvement in uboat.net, and discovered how therapeutic a forum can be.
  • Carol the Dabbler and Artemis like this
"All I have to say has already crossed your mind."
"Then possibly my answer has crossed yours."

#26 Doe

Doe

Detective Superintendent

• 352 posts
  • Twitter @sihirliprofil
  • LocationBodrum Turkey
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

I had to learn English (actually not yet)

I watched films Turkish translate until Ben's voice. His voice sounds like Alan Rickman. 

and somehow i ended up here. :)

• Arcadia and Inge l-w like this

#27 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 14,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Well, we're glad you found us. We can always use more people who like Ben's voice! :D

• Doe likes this
It's this, or Cluedo.

#28 Doe

Doe

Detective Superintendent

• 352 posts
  • Twitter @sihirliprofil
  • LocationBodrum Turkey
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Well, we're glad you found us. We can always use more people who like Ben's voice! :D

I absolutely agree with you :D

His voice is brilliant!

• Arcadia and Inge l-w like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sherlock, Sherlock BBC, Sherlocks impact, your stories