Favorite TV episodes

Boton

HLV is not only my favorite Sherlock episode, it is the reason that I sought out a fandom, and it certainly ranks in my top 10 favorite television episodes of all time of any show. (Now, that would be a fun thread to kill some hiatus time...)

But, hey, vive la difference!

• Like 3

HLV is not only my favorite Sherlock episode, it is the reason that I sought out a fandom,

Same here!

and it certainly ranks in my top 10 favorite television episodes of all time of any show. (Now, that would be a fun thread to kill some hiatus time...)

Oooo. I may have to start one. But first I have to think if I have such a list. Hmm, City on the Edge of Forever, Once More With Feeling, hm, hm......

However, I just realized I don't actually have any time to kill at the moment if I want to get to the store before it closes......

• Like 1

Oooo. I may have to start one. But first I have to think if I have such a list. Hmm, City on the Edge of Forever, Once More With Feeling, hm, hm......

I'll be thinking about my list this weekend.  :-)

Glad to have made your day, fellow forum members :D

So, your preference, being American, is that the way out of any currently unsolvable dilemma is to pull out a gun and snuff out the offending party! In this instance, Magnussen. Impressive use of the little brain cells at the end there, I must admit.

• Like 1

HLV ... ranks in my top 10 favorite television episodes of all time of any show.

... I have to think if I have such a list. Hmm, City on the Edge of Forever, Once More With Feeling, hm, hm......

Well, I may not agree with you regarding Sherlock episodes, but I see that we do have the same favorite Star Trek episode. (What show is "Once More With Feeling" from?)

I found Sherlock shooting CAM the most shocking scene in the show...but I understand it is entirely what Sherlock would do.

• Like 3

So, your preference, being American, is that the way out of any currently unsolvable dilemma is to pull out a gun and snuff out the offending party! In this instance, Magnussen. Impressive use of the little brain cells at the end there, I must admit.

I admit, on my low days, it does seem all too an American solution to me too. :( I'm afraid my fellow citizens do indeed love their guns. I never will forget being in a movie theater when some "good guy" blew away an unarmed "bad guy", and the audience cheered. That was unsettling.

At any rate, I love HLV in spite of the gun violence, not because of it. Color me weird. :P

HLV ... ranks in my top 10 favorite television episodes of all time of any show.

... I have to think if I have such a list. Hmm, City on the Edge of Forever, Once More With Feeling, hm, hm......

Well, I may not agree with you regarding Sherlock episodes, but I see that we do have the same favorite Star Trek episode. (What show is "Once More With Feeling" from?)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's a very dark, very funny, very sad, musical.

I think Trouble with Tribbles might make it onto the list too. I haven't seen most Star Trek in so long, I can't remember what they're really like. But I've caught a few episodes recently on some retro cable channel, and except for the cheesy-by-our-modern-standards production values, they held up very well.

I think an episode of WKRP would make it onto the list too if I knew the title of it. The one where they spoof the Hindenburg disaster .... (yes, I have weird humor... :D )

• Like 1

HLV is second only to TAB in my list of favourites.

But Sherlock certainly committed an immoral act.

• Like 2

I think Trouble with Tribbles might make it onto the list too. I haven't seen most Star Trek in so long, I can't remember what they're really like. But I've caught a few episodes recently on some retro cable channel, and except for the cheesy-by-our-modern-standards production values, they held up very well.

I think an episode of WKRP would make it onto the list too if I knew the title of it. The one where they spoof the Hindenburg disaster .... (yes, I have weird humor... :D )

"Turkeys Away"

I'm undecided about the episode myself. I love WKRP in general, and that was indeed a well-done episode, but

I have trouble enjoying any program where animals are (supposedly) killed or injured, especially if it's supposed to be funny. It's a real testament to the quality of this episode that I can actually watch it all the way through, with only a slight uneasy feeling. With most shows, I turn off the TV as soon as it becomes obvious where things are headed.

Agreed that "Tribbles" is top-notch Trek as well. And the later spin-off episode (DS9?) that revisits it is utterly brilliant!

• Like 2

Trouble with Tribbles is definitely my fave original Star Trek episode.

But who would love to live in the virtual Sherlock Holmes world on the Holo deck in Next Generation?!

• Like 1

"Turkeys Away"

I'm undecided about the episode myself. I love WKRP in general, and that was indeed a well-done episode, but

I have trouble enjoying any program where animals are (supposedly) killed or injured, especially if it's supposed to be funny. It's a real testament to the quality of this episode that I can actually watch it all the way through, with only a slight uneasy feeling. With most shows, I turn off the TV as soon as it becomes obvious where things are headed.

Agreed that "Tribbles" is top-notch Trek as well. And the later spin-off episode (DS9?) that revisits it is utterly brilliant!

Thanks!!! Normally I would agree with you about the animals, but for some reason that ep just killed me, I couldn't breathe for laughing. Like I said ... weird.

And yes, that's ... as far as I can recall ... the only ep of DS9 that I genuinely enjoyed. Esp. where one of the ladies has the hots for Spock and I sure hope we're thinking of the same episode. :D

Trouble with Tribbles is definitely my fave original Star Trek episode.

But who would love to live in the virtual Sherlock Holmes world on the Holo deck in Next Generation?!

Not I. I always found the whole holodeck idea utterly ridiculous. Did I mention I was weird?

Since there is no news on S4, I love City on the Edge of Forever, but my favourites are Trouble with Tribbles and the two Mudd episodes and The Devil in the Dark: Bones' best one-liner: "I am a doctor, not a bricklayer", and the mother's complaint about humans being 'ugly water bags', which, in essence, we are!

• Like 1

... The Devil in the Dark: Bones' best one-liner: "I am a doctor, not a bricklayer", and the mother's complaint about humans being 'ugly water bags', which, in essence, we are!

I didn't hear about Star Trek for the first few months (busy year in school), but then I made up for lost time. I believe "Devil" was the first episode I ever saw, and still one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Dear Carol, one of the mother's offspring features very prominently in Diane Duane's (a favourite writer of dear Caya) My Enemy, My Ally, which then developed into a fascinating Romulan tetralogy. The banter between Bones and Spock concerning the young Horta is hilarious!

• Like 2

Well, I don't know that I can separate my feelings on HLV from my being American, but the reason that I like HLV more than any other Sherlock episode is that it has absolutely everything I want in a TV show, all in 90 minutes.  I loved the initial 20 mintues or so, where it appears that John leaves for a month and Sherlock completely loses it:  drugs, women, and heaven knows what else.  I love the subtle implication that he's probably enjoying himself and just fooling himself when he says it is purely for a case.  I love the scene where Mary shoots Sherlock and then we descend into the mind palace.  (Adore that scene; I'll watch it alone if I just need something to keep me going during the day.)  I love Sherlock's vulnerability when he is wounded, and I love that he will rally  himself for John and Mary.  I love that he and Mycroft have a little moment with "your loss would break my heart," and I love seeing the Holmes home at Christmas.  And yes, I love that someone wiped that scum Magnussen off the face of the earth, because this is fiction, and we can do things we wouldn't condone in real life, and there are just too many people in positions of power who delight in crushing other people under their boots. 

OK, enough of HLV in the S4 thread.  Top TV episodes, in no particular order, until we decide to start a thread for this:

1.  HLV

2.  Amok Time (Star Trek TOS)

3.  Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen (MASH)

4.  Three Stories (House)

5.  The C-Word (House)

6.  More Troubles, More Tribbles (Star Trek: DS9)

7.  Nor Battle to the Strong (Star Trek: DS9)

8.  City on the Edge of Forever (Star Trek: TOS)

9.  Journey to Babel (Star Trek: TOS)

[10. One episode to be named later]

Edited to add:  Going to take this discussion to the HLV thread.  I'll post a link shortly.

Edited to add:  Here's the link.  Have at it if you are so inclined.  (Thanks to inge-lw for getting me started this morning!   :) )

http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/1840-episode-33-his-last-vow/?p=107661

• Like 1

Still pondering what might go on my list, but there's one Star Trek: TNG episode for sure, namely "The Measure of a Man."

• Like 2

Hmmmm... Here's my list:

1.) Sherlock: The Great Game

2.) Sherlock: A Study in Pink

3.) Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall

4.) Sherlock: The Sign of Three

5.) Every other Sherlock episode

6.) The Office: The Christmas Special Part 2

7.) The Office: Training Day

8.) The Office: Tim's Birthday

9.) Yes Minister: The Christmas Special

10.) Yes Minister: A Bed of Nails

11.) Yes Minister: The Greasy Pole

12.) A Bunch of Yes Minister Episodes I don't remember the titles of, but they're all brilliant

13.) The Musketeers: Knight takes Queen

14.) The Musketeers: Musketeers don't die easily

15.) As Time Goes By: You Must Remember This

16.) As Time Goes By: The one where they get married (can't remember the title)

Wait a minute... they're all from BBC shows!
:lol:

I'm assuming miniseries don't count, or else I'd have included some from Parade's End and from the Pride and Prejudice version with Jennifer Ehle.

• Like 2

This may sound ridiculous, since I am here, chatting among friends, but none of the Sherlock episodes are on my top ten list. *is blackballing allowed on digital forums?* (suspicious look over shoulder). The series mentioned below in their entirety:

Granada Sherlock

Blackadder

Yes, Minister, Yes, Prime Minister

Kavanagh, Q.C

Inspector Morse

Lewis

Rumpole of the Bailey

Star Trek TOS

Raffles

Father Brown

and runners-up are The Return of Perry Mason, as well as The Borgias, Miss Marple with Marjorie Hicks, Poirot with David Suchet, Parade's End, with BC, Anna Karenina with Nicola Paget, Smiley and Smileys People with Alec Guinness, The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1

....as well as The Borgias.

So I take it you'd recommend it?  I'm getting ready to start watching it, on the theory that I would like it because I liked The Tudors.  

• Like 1

Oh, absolutely! Both Jeremy Irons and Adolfo Celi in the 1980s series, chew up the scenery most amazingly as Pope Alexander VI!

Thanks for reminding me, dear Boton: also runners-up The Tudors, Downton Abbey, and two French ones, Les Rois Maudits and Maigret, with Bruno Cremer.

• Like 1

Am I allowed to list my *least* favorite episodes? Guess I'd have to include "Blind Banker" (most plot holes), ST:TOS "Omega Glory" (schmaltziest), ST:TOS "Savage Curtain" (cheesiest), and of course ST:TOS "Spock's Brain" (grand champion worst episode). Oh, and The Dick Van Dyke Show, "The Twizzle" (most pointless).

Added: The items listed above are merely annoying, but the final Rockford Files "episode" (actually a tv-movie) is depressing as hell. You know how most Rockford episodes start out with a likeable character in a terrible fix, but by the end, pretty much everything is fine? Well, with "If it Bleeds ... it Leads," it's just the opposite. If you love The Rockford Files (or even if you merely like the show), but haven't seen the series of tv-movies that followed, by all means watch them -- EXCEPT for the very last one. I honestly wish I'd never seen it!

• Like 1

Oh, dear Carol, if we are looking for worst ever Star Trek TOS episodes, Spock's Brain is cringe-worthy, but so is The Dolman of Elaas and the one with the empathic one, whose title eludes me now.

If we weren't talking about series only, I would say that Star Wars:Episode I is also the worst of the bunch! We went to watch that thing full of expectation, and got Darth Sidius instead. I'd rather eat Gaa'gh (live Klingon bloodworm dish) than watch it in its entirety again!

• Like 1

I'll agree with you on Star Wars I, and I'm not real fond of "The Empath" either -- but I kinda like "Elaan of Troyius." Not one of my favorites, but I'll gladly watch it.

• Like 1

Inge, just wanted to say I started The Borgias last night, and I love it!  That is going to be a fun ride, so thanks for the rec!

• Like 1