The Political Thread

5 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

I tried to slap a schoolmate once as a teenager because he said something truly horrible to my friend and everybody laughed at me. 

Kids can be so cruel.  That must have really stung.

• Thanks 1

Yes. Regardless how small and unimportant, certain trauma and incidents as kid can be destructive and be remembered negatively until adult life.

Another question that is probably sensitive, I have read quite a lot of times that Trump is referred as leader of the free world. Or maybe American president, in general. But hey, leader of the free world, isn't it contradictive?  Who are the followers? Who elect the leader? What does he lead? What is the definition of free world?

Or is it just harmless figure of speech?

31 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Yes. Regardless how small and unimportant, certain trauma and incidents as kid can be destructive and be remembered negatively until adult life.

Another question that is probably sensitive, I have read quite a lot of times that Trump is referred as leader of the free world. Or maybe American president, in general. But hey, leader of the free world, isn't it contradictive?  Who are the followers? Who elect the leader? What does he lead? What is the definition of free world?

Or is it just harmless figure of speech?

I think what "free world" means in this context is countries with democratic government that acknowledge certain human rights such as freedom of speech, assembly, etc. The term is definitely much older than the current presidency and when people refer to Trump in that way, it's quite likely to be ironic imho. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And it's mostly a figure of speech, meaning that the US president tends to be influential in world politics.  There's nothing official about it.

I think this is quite true as I still heard some folks say something like "America should do something... Let America counters that..."

When it comes to trying to prevent wars, stop genocides, alleviate global economic problems, etc., there's an unspoken assumption that America needs to take the lead, and it's considered a failure on America's part when it doesn't.

However, it's kind of a view from the past, and mostly heard from older generation whose (?) timeline was dominated by the cold war. And I think it's significantly still existed until 9/11 or around the time when global terrorism was recognized. 

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

When it comes to trying to prevent wars, stop genocides, alleviate global economic problems, etc., there's an unspoken assumption that America needs to take the lead, and it's considered a failure on America's part when it doesn't.

Where is that quote from, VBS?  I think it's pretty accurate as far as it goes, and I'm not so sure it's all that passé.  Then it should add (especially nowadays), "... but of course when America does step in, it will be accused of interfering in matters that are none of its business."

As I've said many a time before, I'm sure glad that I'm not the president.

YUp, I wouldn't say it's a fun position to have, damned if you do, damned if you don't. That is also what makes me wonder why the phrase is still being used, and under this presidency, it's definitely shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Where is that quote from, VBS?

It's from J.P's second link.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J.P. said:

The problem with "stepping in" seems to be that it use to cause an even greater mess than the one that should be fixed.

Yup.  As VBS put it, damned if you do, damned if you don't.  I do not claim to know the answer.  Not sure there *is* an answer. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:51 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

How if punching the boss doesn't go against your moral code, but I'm merely refrain myself because I don't want to go to jail?

Actually not very sure how far my moral would go if I'm allowed to do things I want without consequences/with ability to get away with it. I wouldn't want to hurt good guys but pretty sure I want to hurt bad guys if I'm able to. I always think that I'm not a nice person on default anyway.

How far would you guys go? You all seem...nice.

It's hard for me to imagine myself physically attacking anyone. Not because I'm nice, but because I'd be too scared and am rather physically uncoordinated; I'd probably end up popping myself in the nose instead of hitting the other guy. :rolleyes:  

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think this is quite true as I still heard some folks say something like "America should do something... Let America counters that..."

However, it's kind of a view from the past, and mostly heard from older generation whose (?) timeline was dominated by the cold war. And I think it's significantly still existed until 9/11 or around the time when global terrorism was recognized. 

Is it a past thing? I honestly don't know. Is anyone else taking the lead? 

On 7/13/2018 at 2:33 AM, Arcadia said:

It's hard for me to imagine myself physically attacking anyone. Not because I'm nice, but because I'd be too scared and am rather physically uncoordinated; I'd probably end up popping myself in the nose instead of hitting the other guy. :rolleyes:  

I think the 'too scared' part is a phase when you are not 'that angry' and still can think clearly, and that is the time when our brain still working properly to access the risk and our own capability. I think it's the smart phase especially if at the same time, you can plot for sweet revenge. Like Sherlock in SIB during Mrs. Hudson's hostage situation.

I think there is another phase when we get 'too angry' that we are blinded by emotions and couldn't think clearly or not caring about the consequences anymore, when the situation is overwhelming and there are urgency to fix the situation without the time to assess everything. Eh, like Sherlock jumping into the bonfire trying to get John, or ehm, when he shot Mr. Potty in fireplace.

Eh, look how Sherlock teaches us about life. :) (Noooo don't start about Mr.Potty XD)

On 7/13/2018 at 2:33 AM, Arcadia said:

Is it a past thing? I honestly don't know. Is anyone else taking the lead? 

I think it's a past thing in term of the world no longer look up to America to always fix the problem, or taking the lead. In fact, I believe many part of the world don't wish America to take the lead now. But you are right in term of 'who now', I guess countries nowadays are more confident and independent, which means it could be good, or scary.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think the 'too scared' part is a phase when you are not 'that angry' and still can think clearly, and that is the time when our brain still working properly to access the risk and our own capability. I think it's the smart phase especially if at the same time, you can plot for sweet revenge. Like Sherlock in SIB during Mrs. Hudson's hostage situation.

I think there is another phase when we get 'too angry' that we are blinded by emotions and couldn't think clearly or not caring about the consequences anymore, when the situation is overwhelming and there are urgency to fix the situation without the time to assess everything. Eh, like Sherlock jumping into the bonfire trying to get John, or ehm, when he shot Mr. Potty in fireplace.

Eh, look how Sherlock teaches us about life. :) (Noooo don't start about Mr.Potty XD)

All true, all true. Although I thought he shot Mr. Potty in the face, not in the fireplace? 😛 

I think it's a past thing in term of the world no longer look up to America to always fix the problem, or taking the lead. In fact, I believe many part of the world don't wish America to take the lead now. But you are right in term of 'who now', I guess countries nowadays are more confident and independent, which means it could be good, or scary.

Then what the heck is Trump whining about??? :wacko: 

I think it's good thing … IF these countries like and/or respect each other. And it's really, really scary if they don't. Sigh, looks like we have once again been cursed with interesting times.....

• Sad 1

Did you guys saw how disrespectful he was towards the queen? Everyone regardless of nationality and even people who are against royalty was outraged.

Speaking of the UK, Boris Johnson and David Davis resigned which means the Brexit negotiations is in shambles. Everyone in the UK right now: 68cbad44649bc2684f0b2671d3d764fe.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Did you guys saw how disrespectful he was towards the queen? Everyone regardless of nationality and even people who are against royalty was outraged.

I don't think I've seen the reports you're talking about.  Could you give some examples?

Thanks, J.P.  I had seen some of that before, but thought (and still think) it was just the usual Twitter-in-a-teapot.

I think what many people fail to realize is that the "correct" or "traditional" ways to interact with British royalty are meant to apply to British subjects -- and the US president isn't merely not British, he's the head of another country.  It looks to me like he did his best to be polite and respectful, as did the Queen.

12 hours ago, J.P. said:

BTW, does Puerto Rico has power yet?

Most of it. I gather a few of the more remote areas are still without.

Awwww. My mom's in the other room, and she just started singing her head off. :wub: 

• Like 4

@Trump and Queen

Don't hit me but this remark of him being disrespectful comes from us who enjoy certain person wearing sheet with no pants to Buckingham Palace. :lol4:

Alright, alright, punch me in the face. :D

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Awwww. My mom's in the other room, and she just started singing her head off. :wub: 

Sing with her. My mom loves it when I do that. Not because I have wonderful voice, but mainly being entertained because I normally butcher her songs (language I barely understand).

• Like 2

Most of it. I gather a few of the more remote areas are still without. 

That is good news! I hope Elon Musk keeps his word and give Flint clean water.

Thanks, J.P.  I had seen some of that before, but thought (and still think) it was just the usual Twitter-in-a-teapot. I think what many people fail to realize is that the "correct" or "traditional" ways to interact with British royalty are meant to apply to British subjects -- and the US president isn't merely not British, he's the head of another country.  It looks to me like he did his best to be polite and respectful, as did the Queen.
He was late, he shook her hand instead of bowing and he walked in front of her when he should walk beside her. Basically,

f49d28c6684b4dae4db0647e4d94783a.jpg

49 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

He was late, he shook her hand instead of bowing and he walked in front of her when he should walk beside her.

FL, have you read the articles that J.P. linked to?  According to them, his appointment was for 5:00 and he arrived precisely at 5:00.

A handshake is considered quite proper nowadays, even for the Queen's own subjects.  And since he's the head of another country, it would make no more sense for him to bow to her than for her to bow to him.

As for walking in front, that was only for a moment.  No one's sure just why, but it looked like she may have gestured him ahead and/or they got confused.

Goodness knows he's made a number of social errors on other occasions, but it looks to me like he made an honest effort this time.

• Like 1

To me he looked quite confused among all those soldiers. Still it was painful to look at the old lady trying to catch up with him. Anyway, I can hardly imagine why the Queen has done him this favour. Must have been the most boring discussion in her lifetime.
He was surely impressed by the palace and I bet he has some new idea for the Oval Office. That gold! And ashtrays! Incredible ashtrays! The best!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't follow news for a couple of months because I uninstalled the troublesome news apps I had. I also don't socialize with people who are up to date and not on any social media for now.

So I basically live under the rock and thought things have improved, thought he had improved.

Then I reinstall my news apps, and this morning reading about him criticizing the accuracy of Puerto Rico's hurricane death toll, and accusing that the high number was aimed to make him look bad, at the same time bragging about his success of raising billion dollars to help. 

I can't even!