What would you like to see invented?

The common thing is often to give a pain killer in addition to a sedative. The sedative is the one that can mess with your memory, but it's not as reliable there as whatever made-up substance Smith uses.

True and true, in my experience.  But they don't seem to give painkillers for merely-uncomfortable procedures (e.g., colonoscopies).  And the sedatives I'm talking about are actually intended to disable your short-term memory.  In my case they've been quite reliable, except for the time they turned it off too soon.  :angry:

• Like 1

You mean during those procedures I was actually experiencing pain, but don't remember it? Urgh. Somehow that seems like cheating.....

Ehh.. I would rather let them cheat.

I read a lot about unethical things medical person could do to you when you are under anesthetic, and although I want to be conscious all the time, this doesn't sound fun.

Waking up under the surgeon's knife

Back to invention,

Everytime I see someone with disabilities struggling to move around and rely on other kind souls for their everyday task, I can't imagine living like that and feel very bad for them.

How if there is some sort of personal hoverboard that one can control specifically, exclusively (to prevent theft and misuse) assigned for those who really need them, so they can move around freely, 'float' through stair for example. It could be basic enough (necessary) just to replace walking ability, as in for the speed and function of normal human (not something like silver surfer). It's same concept with wheelchair, but people struggle (a lot) with wheelchair still.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose it has been invented somehow, or at least the variation/less sophisticated version.

I would like a device that convert sounds to words, to dictate my thoughts and the system converts it to writing. It would come in handy as we would be able to write anything while doing house chores, working with hands, walking or commuting.

Oh, I'm pretty sure those exist, although how accurate they are is another matter.

Here's one you can use with Chrome... https://talktyper.com/... there must be versions for a more portable device than my laptop, I would think.

• Like 2

That's cool. Will try it out at home. I hope I won't get stage fright for public speaking in front of my dog.

Just imagine he's naked ... oh, wait. He is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can you not rent a post office box? That's what people do here; either at the actual post office, or at one of those mail stores, like Mailboxes Etc. I don't know about the stores, but the PO box costs my art group about $75 a year ... well worth it to us, since otherwise some poor soul has to advertise their residence to the public.

In my area, for registered item, if they fail to deliver to you (as noone is there to sign it) they will put it in the nearest post office and give you the slip for collection. Anyway who can show ID that proves you stay in that address, is allowed to collect it. Otherwise, you can call them to allocate the package to post office of your choice FOC. While this system is good enough for me, as I hardly get anything important, the way they do it is so sloppy. The small slip of paper looks a lot like stray garbage/those spam paper advertisement, they just slip it between your front gate/door frame and it easily flies away. I have lost some delivery this way.

Anyway, I have another invention idea. :P

A GMFFSSLAOH!

Gravity Manipulator for Free Spirited Supernova and Less Annoying Other Human.

What if we are able to manipulate gravity (not only for spaceship) but for common earthling's architectural purposes.

There is a device that allow different gravity settings, to put it simply, we can float our houses couple of meters above the ground by adjusting the gravity and assigning various constant points to make house stays at one place. Internally, there is another gravity adjustment which allows the occupants to do everything as usual inside. There will be a simple gravity mat to connect you from ground to the house level. 

The advantage:

- relatively pest free house; significantly reduce/eliminate the possibility of those pesky rats, termites etc.

- bigger garden area!

- safety (the gravity setting should be fixed/regulated/non-manipulable and used for the assigned purposes only so you won't see some lunatic trying to use his/her house to attack people)

- minimization of resources exploitation. The gravity manipulation technology in microscopic form also works for building materials. With sophisticated calculation, building materials used are able to fully or partially support themselves, therefore reduce the sizes, especially thickness significantly. Some parts like roof still should be partially supported to ensure the firm connection.

The tricky part is the toilet still have to be connected to ground but it's not that complicated I suppose.

- living in house with lower gravity value makes aging slower. :P

- leave the ground nature alone, no more destructive excavations, drilling or unnecessary displacing wildlife.

But then it would turn out that the radiation given off by the anti-gravity machine is harmful to life forms. Law of Equivalent Exchange. :p

• Like 1

Aiz.

That is actually true, just like how Freon used to be great invention to replace dangerous refrigerants, but ends up causing irreparable damage to ozone.

Dang!

But, then again, it is then perfected to eliminate the destructive characteristic.. well at least until they find out they cause other undesirable impacts.

Dammit Arcadia, I'm just starting to picture my perfect floating home. :p

How about it uses special air tight compartments that hold helium? It'll float like a balloon.

I suspect the helium compartments would have to be larger than the actual house, even if it's built of super-light materials.  But at least if it sprang a leak, you could have a Let's Talk Like the Chipmunks party.

VBS, I can't imagine feeling comfortable walking *under* a floating house.  It'd be like the old saying, "Heavy. heavy hangs over they head."  So I guess the wildlife could have it -- though plants wouldn't get much sun, and the animals might be just as freaked out as me.  Toads might like it, though, nice big shady area.

Also:

Internally, there is another gravity adjustment which allows the occupants to do everything as usual inside.

living in house with lower gravity value makes aging slower.

... doesn't the first part kinda negate the second?

Aiz.

That is actually true, just like how Freon used to be great invention to replace dangerous refrigerants, but ends up causing irreparable damage to ozone.

Dang!

But, then again, it is then perfected to eliminate the destructive characteristic.. well at least until they find out they cause other undesirable impacts.

Dammit Arcadia, I'm just starting to picture my perfect floating home. :P

:patpatpat:

I suspect the helium compartments would have to be larger than the actual house, even if it's built of super-light materials.  But at least if it sprang a leak, you could have a Let's Talk Like the Chipmunks party.

VBS, I can't imagine feeling comfortable walking *under* a floating house.  It'd be like the old saying, "Heavy. heavy hangs over they head."  So I guess the wildlife could have it -- though plants wouldn't get much sun, and the animals might be just as freaked out as me.  Toads might like it, though, nice big shady area.

Also:

Internally, there is another gravity adjustment which allows the occupants to do everything as usual inside.

... doesn't the first part kinda negate the second?

Wow. And VBS thought I was being a spoilsport! :tongue:

Actually not. I think you are still the biggest spoilsport. :p

Hear me out.

Also:

Allowing occupants to do everything as usual inside means they are standing on the floor, sitting everything as per normal instead of floating around. However, the house has lesser gravity value than our default, as much as it has to synchronize with the levitating house and as close as we can still stand on the floor. I imagine that's how it works, at the very least there would be gravity adjustment for interior too.

On the other hand, the negative impacts (if any) will only be known years after and it's very realistic to expect some. Maybe switching between gravity setting affects bone development, joints, muscles, maybe it tinkers something in the brain that produce more cuckooos, maybe by disrupting pest access to human cause them to find other more destructive ways, evolve or extinct and create the whole chain of domino effects. Woha.. I want to see the scifi.

So, see, to me, you are still the biggest spoilsport. :)

VBS, I can't imagine feeling comfortable walking *under* a floating house. It'd be like the old saying, "Heavy. heavy hangs over they head." So I guess the wildlife could have it -- though plants wouldn't get much sun, and the animals might be just as freaked out as me. Toads might like it, though, nice big shady area.

I would say it's all about getting used to and adaptation. When it's common enough and proven that they are not going to fall, people will get used to it. Just like back then when we started to build home vertically, adapting to concrete jungle or travelling by plane.

Also, having 'shelter' could be beneficial in many parts of the world like tropical areas or places with extreme summer temperature, where walking under sun can be unbearable or when temperature gets so high it's practically impossible to work outdoor without getting the negative impact of sun. It would be nice to be able to always have chance to hang around and play outdoor I suppose.

How about it uses special air tight compartments that hold helium? It'll float like a balloon.

I suspect the helium compartments would have to be larger than the actual house, even if it's built of super-light materials. But at least if it sprang a leak, you could have a Let's Talk Like the Chipmunks party.

Yes, the amount of helium needed to be contained would be tremendous, and we are running out of it.

Because of US Helium Privatisation Act we have been using it too excessively.

Most probably earth's helium reserve will only last for another 30 years, and there is no known way yet to artificially manufacturing it.

So unless we find a efficient way of mining it outside earth, or manage to find a way to control hydrogen flammable property, and a way to compact the compartments, it seems difficult to use gas to float human settlements.

***yah, I think a lot about this. :p

• Like 1

After reading all that, I'm handing over my spoilsport crown to VBS.

Lower gravity might have negative effects over time? We're running out of helium? Seems to me you just shot down your own argument. But we can give the crown to Carol instead, if you like. I'm sure she won't mind ...... :p

• Like 2

Hey, just because it's my own idea doesn't mean I won't be critical about it! :p

In fact I have many unposted ideas because they can't pass my own b*tching.

But if this is invented one day, without known immediate side effect, I won't mind to be the guinea pig to test it out. The picture of green grass, undisturbed grounds, pest free home seem nice in my imagination.

But nice try, young lady. Don't you ever think you had distracted me. Despite your efforts to push it on us, you are still the biggest spoilsport.

"Young lady," hah. Now you're trying to butter me up. (Try bribes, those work better.)

No. I am still me, not possessed yet. XD

You see, I know the impact is better when someone is crashed down after buttered up first.

It's like, if I want to throw someone out of the window, I would kindly lead them few floors up first. :whistle: It's higher.

Remind me to cross the street if I ever see you coming. :p

• Like 1

Wait... is there any reference with chicken in what you are saying? :D

It's still a mystery you know, why chicken cross the street.

• Like 2

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To avoid being tossed out a window.

• Like 1