Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sherlock Holmes vs. Gregory House

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ConradLDuchess

ConradLDuchess

Trainee Detective Constable

• 5 posts
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Hello all. What do you think about House MD, is it really a Sherlock Holmes adaptation or just a serie with some eastereggs. Please let me know your ideas.

Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

#2 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,888 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Oh, I love this! 

First, welcome, ConradLDuchess!

I started watching Sherlock because of House.  I watched House and absolutely loved it, because I love medical drama and what-done-it shows.  I had never read ACD nor watched any Sherlock Holmes adaptations.  Then Netflix kept pushing me to this show called Sherlock it thought I would like, and I read enough to know House was supposed to be an adaptation.

I do think it is a true adaptation, although one in a really different universe.  In many ways, it make more sense in the modern era for Holmes to be a doctor investigating medical mystery than it does having him fight crime on a freelance basis, and ACD did write medical fiction as well as basing Holmes on a Doctor.  House exhibits many of the Holmes characteristics, although turned up to 11 in some cases.

James Wilson is, for me, nearly the perfect Watson.  I know that's disloyal to MF around here, but RSL hits all the right notes as far as loyalty, vulnerability, admiration of Holmes, and an almost inexplicable attractiveness to the ladies.   ;)

Other characters:

• Cuddy is Lestrade, the gatekeeper through which House has to go to get the interesting cases.
  • Stacy is Irene, the woman who "beat" House by changing his life and leaving him with his painful disability.
  • The Team is the Baker Street Irregulars, which makes more sense than having a lot of street urchins running around.  Plus, they can go gather clues and keep this show about mystery.

Overall, the show had some ups and downs; I find seasons 6 and 7 (I think?) almost unwatchable, even though they contain my favorite episode, "The C Word." My other favorite episodes are "Wilson" and the fantastic "Three Stories," which functions as "Scandal in Bohemia" (or "Scandal in Belgravia, if you prefer) and is one of the finest TV episodes ever filmed. 

• ConradLDuchess likes this

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com

#3 ConradLDuchess

ConradLDuchess

Trainee Detective Constable

• 5 posts
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for you comment Boton. I never thought, but you are probably right about other characters. I saw a 'meme' about House/Holmes likeliness. I couldn't upload it here but if I menage it, you'll see it if you didn't already :) Anyways, it's good to talk with you guys here. 

• Boton likes this

Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

#4 Boton

Boton

Consulting Detective

• 1,888 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

I also might have added that I think Greg House's drug use is much more plausible in House than the drug use is in Sherlock or any other attempts to "modernize" Holmes.  I think we have to remember that cocaine and what few opiates existed in the Victorian era (opium, morphine, and, I believe, a new thing from Bayer called Heroin) were generally available OTC.  Use might have gotten you a sideways glance, especially if you were overindulging, but there was nothing illegal.  It's problematic, then, to have a modern Holmes using cocaine and heroin because they are illegal street drugs.

I've always thought a modern Holmes would mis-use prescription drugs, and the line that House always walked with using Vicodin for a legit reason but in ridiculous quantities was pretty believable.

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

Read Boton's fanfiction at AO3: http://archiveofouro...on/pseuds/Boton

Boton's Sherlock thoughts: http://221Boton.tumblr.com