Sherlock Holmes vs. Gregory House

ConradLDuchess

Hello all. What do you think about House MD, is it really a Sherlock Holmes adaptation or just a serie with some eastereggs. Please let me know your ideas.

Oh, I love this! 

First, welcome, ConradLDuchess!

I started watching Sherlock because of House.  I watched House and absolutely loved it, because I love medical drama and what-done-it shows.  I had never read ACD nor watched any Sherlock Holmes adaptations.  Then Netflix kept pushing me to this show called Sherlock it thought I would like, and I read enough to know House was supposed to be an adaptation.

I do think it is a true adaptation, although one in a really different universe.  In many ways, it make more sense in the modern era for Holmes to be a doctor investigating medical mystery than it does having him fight crime on a freelance basis, and ACD did write medical fiction as well as basing Holmes on a Doctor.  House exhibits many of the Holmes characteristics, although turned up to 11 in some cases.

James Wilson is, for me, nearly the perfect Watson.  I know that's disloyal to MF around here, but RSL hits all the right notes as far as loyalty, vulnerability, admiration of Holmes, and an almost inexplicable attractiveness to the ladies.   ;)

Other characters:

• Cuddy is Lestrade, the gatekeeper through which House has to go to get the interesting cases.
  • Stacy is Irene, the woman who "beat" House by changing his life and leaving him with his painful disability.
  • The Team is the Baker Street Irregulars, which makes more sense than having a lot of street urchins running around.  Plus, they can go gather clues and keep this show about mystery.

Overall, the show had some ups and downs; I find seasons 6 and 7 (I think?) almost unwatchable, even though they contain my favorite episode, "The C Word." My other favorite episodes are "Wilson" and the fantastic "Three Stories," which functions as "Scandal in Bohemia" (or "Scandal in Belgravia, if you prefer) and is one of the finest TV episodes ever filmed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for you comment Boton. I never thought, but you are probably right about other characters. I saw a 'meme' about House/Holmes likeliness. I couldn't upload it here but if I menage it, you'll see it if you didn't already :) Anyways, it's good to talk with you guys here. 

• Like 1

I also might have added that I think Greg House's drug use is much more plausible in House than the drug use is in Sherlock or any other attempts to "modernize" Holmes.  I think we have to remember that cocaine and what few opiates existed in the Victorian era (opium, morphine, and, I believe, a new thing from Bayer called Heroin) were generally available OTC.  Use might have gotten you a sideways glance, especially if you were overindulging, but there was nothing illegal.  It's problematic, then, to have a modern Holmes using cocaine and heroin because they are illegal street drugs.

I've always thought a modern Holmes would mis-use prescription drugs, and the line that House always walked with using Vicodin for a legit reason but in ridiculous quantities was pretty believable.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’ve mentioned this subject on here before but I can’t find where I posted it so this thread will have to do. I was certain that I could remember a few years ago it being suggested that Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were being considered as a potential Holmes and Watson. No one else seemed to have heard of this so I started to wonder if I’d just imagined it or mis-remembered another story. At last I can say that I’m not mad😀 I just found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/mar/30/broadcasting

Its a pity that it never materialised. I’d have liked to have seen it.

• Like 1

Herl,

I'm not quoting anybody anymore, at least until UM fixes that 'That Quote Ate My Post!' feature.

I would be over the moon if Fry & Laurie would reunite in something, anything . .even a commercial for fish & chips (which, naturally, would not play in my country), but as I've stated before, what we have here is two Holmeses with nary a Watson in sight.  This article proposed SF for Holmes and HL for Watson.  As we know already, HL has already handily established himself as a Sherlock (called Greg House.)  Meanwhile, SF has carved a niche as Mycroft Holmes.  I am not ready to give up on a Holmes project for these two, but I propose Laurie for Sherlock--surely, the correct ectomorphic nervy long-fingered body type there--and SF can put his more adiposian talents to use reprising Mycroft.  Or as Little Brother refers to him sometimes, "Jupiter Descending."

Rowan Atkinson could do Watson.  Don't think 'Mr. Bean' . . I was astounded when I saw a poignant serio-comic little movie called 'Keeping Mum' that Rowan can actually play a normal, grounded, appealing, intelligent guy when he wants to, and not whatever Mr. Bean is.

• Like 1

Is it me or have there been far fewer posts since the changeover? That’s an open question by the way. Maybe it’s my imagination?

Herl,

A lot less, at least compared to the three-month period I've been here.  I thought at first it might be due to the glitch that showed the 'Webpage Not Available' for a while there.  That would have scared off guests and potential newbies, but our diehard resident contingent has been very quiet lately as well.

Ah, well.  Que sera, sera.  Come play with me in the Tin Dispatch Box. :)

I noticed the same thing, but it's not that unusual for the weekends to be a lot quieter. Sure seems busy enough today. 

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I noticed the same thing, but it's not that unusual for the weekends to be a lot quieter. Sure seems busy enough today. 

Yes, today's picked up a lot.  It's been quiet for the last 10 days, though.  Today feels more normal.

So that begs the question, really . . .with BBC Sherlock for all intents and purposes RIP . . . where do we go from here on this website?  I hope such is not the case but I wonder if it's winding down as a natural outcome of being centered around a television program that is no longer active.  I'm sure BBC is still syndicating episodes,  but with no new material forthcoming from Moffat and Co. . . .do we just continue to congregate here to post hot GIFs from 2012, or .. what?  Can we be something else?  Does the membership want that?

I’m glad that it’s picked up again. I was just concerned that some might have been put off by a few minor teething problems with the new format. Also Hikari has made a point that I was considering the other day in that even if there is to be another series of Sherlock we are looking at a minimum of two years away it seems. Therefore I’d say that it’s up to all of us to discover things to discus. There are always other angles and viewpoints. Obviously I could bore for England on Holmes and Doyle or movies, tv and radio but not everyone on here is as interested (ok, you might say obsessed and I’d forgive you🙂)as I am. And so I need to rewatch some Sherlock. I’m always wary of joining in conversations about Sherlock because I’m the amateur surrounded by experts. Often I read of points made and I just can’t recall them from the series (much as I love it.) So my mission, whenever I get spare time, is to try and catch up with the rest of you.🙂

I'll have to let Carol or Caya answer that, this is my one and only experience with a forum. I remember finding a Babylon 5 forum last year; it was still active, in spite of the show ending for sure nearly 20 years ago. Not lively, but active. :smile: I didn't hang around long enough to find out what they had to talk about, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I’m glad that it’s picked up again. I was just concerned that some might have been put off by a few minor teething problems with the new format.  [....] even if there is to be another series of Sherlock we are looking at a minimum of two years away it seems. Therefore I’d say that it’s up to all of us to discover things to discuss.  [....]  Obviously I could bore for England on Holmes and Doyle or movies, tv and radio [....]  I need to rewatch some Sherlock. [....]

Re the teething problems, I suspect that they have discouraged a few people, but Tim is tweaking things, so we should soon be fine on that score.  (I do find the new format a bit less intuitive than the old one, which may bother some people, but apparently this is what the internet is moving to.  *sigh*  Not much to be done about that.)

Re the hiatus, please forgive me, but I snickered just a little at your dismay over a two-year (or, admittedly, more) gap.  This forum has been weathering hiatuses (hiati?) since 2012 (that's two gaps already, not counting this one), so that's not a major problem.  What may be more problematic is the internet buzz that the show is dead and over.  But I suspect that's a problem only for people who like to see themselves as "up to date."

Re "boring" us, please do!  I find your little essays interesting, and we might actually learn something.

Re your rewatching Sherlock, sounds like a good idea.  For one thing, you should be able to point out a bunch of ACD references that we've all missed.  Plus you'll feel more confident participating in episode discussions (though as far as I've seen, you're doing fine already).

• Like 2

@Hikari

I like Keeping Mum and Rowan in it. Although I don't see him as Watson though, in real life he has IQ closer to Sherlock I believe.

@Herlock

That is actually how I feel whenever I read about Sherlock stuffs that I'm not familiar with, which is everything! So don't worry. Good thing about the forum, it's good place to nerd out, although I get what you mean. Most time I have to stop myself before it gets too weird when I'm nerding about something, but mostly not about Sherlock, so your excuse is more valid than mine.

@thread

I watched House first before Sherlock. Only know tiny bit about Sherlock back then and even so, found out that it's not original ACD (I read Giant Rat of Sumatra). Didn't connect House to Sherlock but Wilson does remind me of John Watson's character. Anyway, I remember thinking House seems more 'social' than Sherlock from his history and his relationship with his peers.

My favorite scene was ..SPOILER! SPOILER!! 

when he finaly agrees to go on date with one of his colleagues and tears her to sherd by deducing her actual motivation of wanting to go out with him. Which is quite a f-up motivation, it makes me sympathize and admire his character much much more after.

@hiatus

Carol is right. I don't think we will die just yet..however, you would see that it makes members go nuts. Back then, we started to do funny things, nitpicking everything and analyzing everything.

Well of course, I am the sane one. Can't speak for others though.. :P

• Like 2