• Bilbo Baggins
    • Frodo Baggins
    • Samwise "Sam" Gamgee
    • Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck
    • Peregrin "Pippin" Took
    • Farmer Maggot
    • Farmer Cotton
    • Rosie Cotton Gamgee
  2. 2. Who is your second favorite hobbit?

• Bilbo Baggins
    • Frodo Baggins
    • Samwise "Sam" Gamgee
    • Peregrin "Pippin" Took
    • Farmer Maggot
    • Farmer Cotton
    • Rosie Cotton Gamgee
  3. 3. Who is your third favorite hobbit?

• Bilbo Baggins
    • Frodo Baggins
    • Samwise "Sam" Gamgee
    • Peregrin "Pippin" Took
    • Farmer Maggot
    • Farmer Cotton
    • Rosie Cotton Gamgee

Just curious who everybody's favorite hobbits are. If any of your favorites aren't listed, please post their names so I can add them. Thank you!

You can answer according to your favorites in either the books or the movies or a combination. If you have different favorites in the two media, you can comment on that in a post. You are as usual encouraged to comment on anything, in fact.

P.S.: For anyone who has as much trouble as I do remembering which is Merry and which is Pippin, just click on their names there, and you'll see some nice photos of each. Also, Merry is played by Dominic Monaghan and Pippin is played by Billy Boyd, in case that helps.

Frodo is my favorite and Sam is my second favorite, but I can't decide on a third.  It would prooobably be Merry, but I'm not sure.  I'm going by the books rather than the movies.  Really I think I like Merry and Pippin about equally.  I think they made Sam a little more likeable than Frodo in the films, but I donno...  Frodo (and Faramir) was the character I related to most when I read the books, so he's always going to be my #1 hobbit.

One of my favorites is Farmer Maggot.  :smile:  I'm not sure I'd choose him over the others listed, but I liked him a lot in the books.

OK, I've added Farmer Maggot, just in case.

Bilbo has been my favorite for ages, ever since I read the books. I read all the books back then, but didn't really start getting into the LotR books till kinda recently, so my other favorites are based more on the movies.

P.S.: Don't forget to vote!

Farmer Cotton was pretty cool too.  :smile:

I read all the books (starting with "The Hobbit") back-to-back when I was 11, and I've been a major fan ever since.

• Like 1

Sam is my favorite Hobbit and one of my favorite heroes of all times. Btw, I plead for adding Rosie to the poll.

OK!

Uh-oh. As BC would say, I'm rubbish at favorites. In the movies, definitely definitely Bilbo, Martin just nailed it. (In the few scenes he had. :p) In the books ... wow, I've never thought of it before. I've always had a soft spot for the irrepressible Pippin, but I can't say I like him better (or worse) than any of the others. Hmmmm, have to get back to you on this one.

Movie?  Bilbo was in a movie?  Oh, wait -- you're talking about The Elf, right?  :P

• Like 2

Yeah, he had a couple scenes in that one about the Orcs, too.

• Like 3

I like young Bilbo, Sam, Frodo, and when johnspec's hair is long enough, he looks like a combination of Pippin and another hobbit (hair color is Pippin not so much the face).

Okay, if I really must have a favorite from the books, I think I'd have to go with Sam, who's the real hero by the end. Plus he's funny as all get out.

I'll confess, though, that Sean Astin never quite convinced me as Sam; his acting's a little too broad for my taste. So in the movies, Bilbo still wins, with Frodo second.