Your Sherlock-universe alter-ego

Do you see yourself as a character on Sherlock?  If so, is s/he an existing character that you'd like to "borrow" from the current actor for an episode or two?  Or is s/he someone you've made up to allow you to fit into the universe, so you could play that character in an episode?

I'll start with mine.  If I were going to play someone on Sherlock, she would need to be an American, because I don't do any other accents well enough to pass as a native.  The character I most resemble physically is John Watson, so I have chosen to see myself as John's half-aunt, like so:

Grandpa Watson was married twice.  His first wife (an American) was my mother, but they were divorced when I was still very young, and she moved back to the US with me.  However, she wanted me to know my father, so we spent every summer in England (she was a schoolteacher and had the summers off), and I grew up knowing my younger half-sibling(s), including John's father.  Even after I grew up (and became a teacher myself), I continued spending my summers in England, so I am also well acquainted with my half-niece(s) and half-nephew(s), including Harry and John.

• Like 3

:-D Good question, Carol!

The character I see most of myself in is Molly. I feel very represented by her. The character I identify with most though is Sherlock even though I am not a man, certainly not a genius, never bored and don't like adventures, danger or taking risks.

If I were to insert myself into the universe, it would be as a client.

• Like 1

:-D Good question, Carol!

The character I see most of myself in is Molly. I feel very represented by her. The character I identify with most though is Sherlock even though I am not a man, certainly not a genius, never bored and don't like adventures, danger or taking risks.

Ditto, ditto and ditto.

As to who I'd be if I were on the show ... I think it's fairly obvious, I'd be one of Anderson's geeky Empty Hearse Club pals, sitting mutely in the background with my cap pulled over my face praying the cameraman doesn't decide to focus on me. :smile:

• Like 7

I'm like Molly with a touch of Sherlock. For a character, I'd be part of Sherlock's homeless network. He and John would be roaming London on a case and see me in some outdoor public place. I'd either be listening to music or acting like I was (do that naturally) with my left hand either conducting or acting like I'm playing a strings part of the music and Sherlock would get his needed clue(s) from that. There's also a chance I could be doing some foot work such as a pas de basque setting step (yes I did Scottish Country Dance for a few years). Role could be recurring depending on needs.

• Like 4

I would be the client doing oscillation in the pavement, however, I only had that identity for a week.

So I took up something like extensive gardening, scrapbooking, or something obvious to someone like Sherlock, dress differently and live like someone else for a week, someone with boring and irrelevant case to lead him to wrong deduction and dismiss me as just another client. With that, I'd gain access to 221B without suspicion and plant a sophisticated pinhole camera on his Belstaff coat.

While previously I had stolen multiple precious artifacts and placed them in multiple locations, leaving easy enough clues for Scotland Yard to find them, every single one would come with note 'Get Sherlock', and the last artifact contain longest note that all the occupants inside a house would be blown to pieces if he failed to get them on time, the clues had been given.

There would be quite a number of similarity with the stolen artifacts, for example the country of origins, the rare precious gems that appear in each artifacts, or those artifacts once belong to a single collector who led shady live, all to falsely throw Sherlock into multiple frenzies of finding the clue to the house.

All the while the artifact's locations actually form a constellation, and all the coordinates are actually some code when it's translated in language that both Sherlock and Mycroft fluent with. When the code is cracked, it is actually an anagram puzzle that tell alphanumeric with combination of roman numeral of an address. But of course, Sherlock wouldn't have enough time and the last thing he'd hear from me is my voice on the phone telling he is too late and sound of explosion, quite mild explosion because it only target the occupants and not the house, therefore it wouldn't create too much suspicion and get into the news immediately.

Well of course, Lestrade Sherlock John would still try to find the victim even when it's already too late, hoping to catch me and get the remains of the victims. And he would crack the puzzle and find the house with the constellation sign in the front door. They'd enter the house and expect the worst, but it's empty except for a new Belstaff coat with message 'Just want to say Hello, Sherlock. Sorry I ruined your coat' next to the compilation of footage from his camera (yah, there'd be enough time for that :P)

Meanwhile, physically I'd follow John around, who mostly would run around with Sherlock and investigate away. I'd disguise as ASBO officer and keep issuing him ASBO for things that Sherlock would do and thing that I'd plant. XD

Well, it's probably way above my capability (you think?!!!?? :D)

But hey, if it's alternate universe, I want it to be fun and over the top, otherwise I wouldn't want to go.

And this could be fun bonus episode without actual villain, and I'd probably have special place in Sherlock's mind and waste millions of taxpayer's money and authority time. :)

• Like 5

I also wouldn't mind playing a villain. A variation of Moriarty in S1. Sherlock has a series of cases that point to 1 villain, my character, but he has no idea who I am including no name. He's given clues as to who I am (think along the lines of TGG and the pink phone clues only they wouldn't be potential victims) from various random people. Maybe at the end of the series there would be a reveal. Also possible to have it cover some of the unsolved cases listed on John's blog.

• Like 1

Gee, you sure you wouldn't rather do something that isn't quite so simple and straightforward?

But.. but I was trying to flirt with a boy!

It's not good if he knows what I'm up to, right? :p

• Like 2

Why would you be seeking Sherlock's services?

Probably something scary and seemingly supernatural that nobody else will believe actually happened. Because I think the character of Sherlock Holmes is so appealing to me because of a deep-seated need to have my fears taken seriously and dispelled.

• Like 3

I'm actually a combination of Mycroft and Irene, and I see myself represented by those two.

So, I'm the *fourth* Holmes sibling.  I was born 3 years after Mycroft, and I was always the smart girl in class, always the one who obeyed every rule down to the last jot and tittle, and was always hyper-responsible. Once I graduated uni, I moved to the countryside with my husband and developed an addiction to Louboutin shoes and impeccably cut clothing, and I make my money writing because I'm a great judge of "what people like."  I keep in constant touch with Mummy and Daddy, but I try to shy away from the other sibs because they all appear to have mental issues.  I'm fine - just a touch of neuroticism and anxiety. [tic]

• Like 5

I'm having trouble picturing a "hyper-responsible" woman wearing shoes like Irene's.  They can't be comfortable, and a person could so easily fall off of them and hurt herself.  But to each her own!

• Like 2

I'm having trouble picturing a "hyper-responsible" woman wearing shoes like Irene's. They can't be comfortable, and a person could so easily fall off of them and hurt herself. But to each her own!

True story: because of a very specific knee problem, I've never been able to wear flats; they cause me a lot of pain and allow my to hyperextend my knees easily. I own almost nothing but heels. I have the 3 inch version of Irene's shoes (she has the 4+ inch); I can run in them. They are extremely comfortable and wound up being a good deal financially because I haven't bought a pair of black heels in the three years since I bought them, when I used to buy about 3 new pairs a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Thanks, that makes sense. I used to work with a gal who had, I think, a back problem that required her to wear high heels. Which makes me very happy that I can wear my good ol' clogs!

• Like 2

Every time any show or movie or book impress me, I tend to talk to the characters as myself. When I'm really impressed I might try to put myself into the universe and try to interact with them. Don't remember ever wanting to be a character. So even if I can relate to Mycroft and Sherlock, I don't see me as them. Their places are already taken. :)

So in Sherlock-Universe I'm the strange geeky old owl who got a special deal from Mrs Hudson and lives in 221c while renovating it. I have a whole backstory in my head, because no matter how fantasy-like the in-universe, me being there always has to be logical. So often, instead of daydreaming of interacting with characters, I daydream trying to make this interaction possible. It's hard being me… :P

• Like 4

Here' s my tuppence worth of contribution: having grown up reading ACD canon, Agatha Christie, E. W. Hornung (that's Raffles, to you, dears!) to improve my English and the whole of Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason, Doug Shelby and Donald Lamb series), to get into the American variant, I would like to be (and was proven to be by several quizzes on this site) the mercurial Mr Holmes. To be able to do what I want when I want, take up a case or dismiss it, treat dukes like cattle-thief descendants AND pocket the fee, and have an unquestionably loyal chronicler for my PR would be heavenly!

• Like 1

Oh, I would LOVE to be Mycroft (the original), liking my food and my creature comforts, rarely venturing out of my domain, easily beating Sherlock at the deduction game and having a special club catering to my idiosyncrasies to relax after a tough day at the office, playing at being a minor official!

• Like 4