New member here

EXCREBLE !!!! Doyle didn’t write any excreble Holmes stories! I nearly choked on my Vape-pipe! He did, however, write a few that weren’t as good as others.

• Like 1

EXCREBLE !!!! Doyle didn’t write any excreble Holmes stories! I nearly choked on my Vape-pipe! He did, however, write a few that weren’t as good as others.

By 'how odd', do you mean 'how odd you're a children's librarian' or 'how odd that you're the fourth children's librarian I know?'

Neither.  I meant "how odd that all four of the children's librarians I've known were really into one of the two tv shows that I've been really into."  (Though admittedly the other Sherlock-admiring children's librarian that I mentioned is by no means a real fan.)  I don't think the average American (or even the average well-educated American) is much of a fan of any show -- I generally seem to get odd looks when I mention my fannish activities.

I don't know, it seems to me an awful lot of Americans were hung up on Downton Abbey, which I could never watch for more than five minutes. :P And those "reality" shows, which I can't even turn on, for the most part.

I keep thinking I should read more Doyle. Made it through "the Interminable Back Story" without much trouble, so how hard can it be? :D Got through the first collection, and Hound (which is my favorite, so far) ... but stalled out there, not sure why. Partly I think because on the whole, I'm not a big fan of short stories. If I get into a story, I want the excitement to last a longgggg time. And if I don't get into a story, I don't care how short it is. And lately I seem to enjoy non-fiction more, which is odd. For me, I mean.

Herlock, I had to laff when you termed yourself old at 51. Oh, to be so young again ..... :P

• Like 2

I don't think the average American (or even the average well-educated American) is much of a fan of any show -- I generally seem to get odd looks when I mention my fannish activities.

I don't know, it seems to me an awful lot of Americans were hung up on Downton Abbey, which I could never watch for more than five minutes. :P And those "reality" shows, which I can't even turn on, for the most part.

But most of them aren't really FANS of those shows, are they?  They watch them and they like them.  But I seriously doubt that many of them join a forum, or write fanfic, or attend conventions, or even wear t-shirts.

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, yeah, you may have a point there. Do those kinds of shows even have that kind of fandom? Seems to me most fandoms are centered around more sci-fi and fantasy projects, or things that appeal to pre-teens. Although I notice NCIS and CSI pop up on fanfic lists a lot. And Kingdom Hearts ... isn't that a video game?

Maybe most Americans just like more aggressive things than TV shows, though. Do car or motorcycle rallies count as fandom activities? We seem to have lots of those around here, although the sci fi conventions I went to were better attended ... but by much younger people. How about guns ... I'm sure there must be lots of forums for gun lovers, and of course they have gun shows all over. And there seemed to be a big hoohah about those car chase movies ... remember when the actor died recently and it was such a big deal? I had to admit I'd never heard of him, but then, I'm not a fan of such things ......

...and you're forgetting Duck Dynasty. Though I doubt that was watched by a great number of children's librarians.

• Like 1

Ah, "Downton Abbey", yes, indeed.  I will put my hand up as an American who devoured that Edwardian soap avidly.  Though my mother was even more into it.

I realized after I'd signed up for this site that it is based in the UK, so I'm guessing that Yanks are a minority here, somewhat?  There is a definite, healthy contingent of my countrymen and -women who are Anglophiles.  I myself devour every British detective mystery show I can get my hands on, and I do love me some tea and bikkies of an evening.   Many of us wage an internal war over just how much BBC America one can watch and just how much one can obsess about Wills, Kate and their adorable brood to be kosher for patriotic Americans.

We love our country but perhaps on some psychological level this fascination with all things British (including fascinators!) is some kind of attempt by the prodigal children who ran away from home to return to Mother (England)?  I daresay that over the centuries England has had a contentious relationship with your neighbor across the Channel and yet French style still holds its fascinations for the Francophiles in the UK, no?  Something similar.

I know Benedict and all the BBC Sherlock actors and crew are homegrown products, of which you should be justifiably proud--but I'd be willing to lay a million quid that in America we are even MORE ga-ga for Bendi than at home.  I don't have a million pounds but I don't need to because I'm confident of winning that bet.  Witness any of Benedict's appearances at ComicCon or American chat telly.  The guy is like the Fab Four, the Rolling Stones & Elvis all rolled into one person.  We Americans are nothing if not *effusive* toward the objects of our fanatical devotion.  I'm sure it gets frightening on occasion, though it's not like I'll ever personally experience it.

All your young British lads and lasses seem to go crazy for L.A. as the epicenter of Hollywood culture . . but L.A. has as much relevance to the life of everyday Americans as the man in the moon.  New York is so much closer, and less embarrassing.  They've actually got culture in New York.  In L.A. they don't even know how to spell it.

• Like 1

I realized after I'd signed up for this site that it is based in the UK, so I'm guessing that Yanks are a minority here, somewhat?

We're pretty international, but right now I think the active Americans outnumber the active British members (which is cheating of course, since the US has a larger population).  The site is indeed based in the UK, though.  The Admins (Tim/Undead Medic and Banshee) live in Bristol.

All your young British lads and lasses seem to go crazy for L.A. as the epicenter of Hollywood culture . . but L.A. has as much relevance to the life of everyday Americans as the man in the moon.  New York is so much closer, and less embarrassing.  They've actually got culture in New York.  In L.A. they don't even know how to spell it.

If you want to see a Broadway play, you go to New York of course.  If you want to hear a really top-rate opera or see a great ballet, NYC is probably your best bet as well.  Same for art museums, I suppose.  But culture, snobbery, call it what you will -- New York is otherwise pretty irrelevant to the rest of us on a day-to-day basis.

I keep thinking I should read more Doyle. Made it through "the Interminable Back Story" without much trouble, so how hard can it be? :D Got through the first collection, and Hound (which is my favorite, so far) ... but stalled out there, not sure why. Partly I think because on the whole, I'm not a big fan of short stories. If I get into a story, I want the excitement to last a longgggg time. And if I don't get into a story, I don't care how short it is. And lately I seem to enjoy non-fiction more, which is odd. For me, I mean.

Herlock, I had to laff when you termed yourself old at 51. Oh, to be so young again ..... :P

Actually I’m nearer 52! Where did the years go?

And yes you should read Doyle. About 50 times each story like I have

• Like 1

Hikari,

I’ve always been of the impression that I’m the only Brit here? And as you can see from my self-portrait avatar I look just like Jeremy Brett

I’ve always been of the impression that I’m the only Brit here?

Nope. Pseudonym is in Wales. As mentioned before, Tim (AKA Undead Medic) is in Bristol; he doesn't post so much nowadays, but he keeps the forum software running. Who am I forgetting? I know there are several who show up whenever there are new episodes to discuss. And of course any number who have come and gone over the years.

Mostly you and Pseud at the moment, though, I think.

Hi Carol,

I certainly wasn’t complaining when I said that I was under the impression that i was the only Brit on here

Nah, I'm a relative newbie, I've only been around since 2014. Something about His Last Vow sort of blew me to pieces, and I needed therapy. I ended up here instead, quietly going even madder. :p

• Like 1

I joined in late April of 2012, a while after watching Series 2. The forum was a couple months old and already a pretty interesting place!

• 6 months later...

Belated welcome to the Sherlock Forum!  :wave: