Technophobe needs help.

HerlockSholmes

Herlock the Caveman needs advice again guys!

Does anyone have an IPadPro ? Or does someone have sufficient technical knowledge to offer advice? It’s to do with saving things that I’ve been sent as an attachment.

If you’ll just reply to this I’ll explain my problem.

Thanks all👍

Hi Herlock, sorry I'm not familiar with ipad. I remember trying to help mom (who inherits my brother's old ipad) and got very frustated because everything seems inconvinient for android user, me.

I guess what you need to find out is apps that act as File Manager, or equivalent to Windows Explorer in PC. Something where you could view the files you store, and look for Download folder. Or when you are saving the file, look for the directory it saves into. Or click on the file and look for option similar to 'Open File Location'.

If the attachment is an image, you could try looking at Gallery as well.

Or, looking at Setting and see if you can find the default path it uses for saving.

Hope those help.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Hi Herlock, sorry I'm not familiar with ipad. I remember trying to help mom (who inherits my brother's old ipad) and got very frustated because everything seems inconvinient for android user, me.

I guess what you need to find out is apps that act as File Manager, or equivalent to Windows Explorer in PC. Something where you could view the files you store, and look for Download folder. Or when you are saving the file, look for the directory it saves into. Or click on the file and look for option similar to 'Open File Location'.

If the attachment is an image, you could try looking at Gallery as well.

Or, looking at Setting and see if you can find the default path it uses for saving.

Hope those help.

Thanks for that VBS,

It’s weird. The attachment appears in Safari. I touch on it and go for ‘save to Pages.’ But when I find it in Pages it’s a feint icon and when I touch on it it won’t open!

im clueless,

Problem solved thanks to good old YouTube. I can save the attachment, which is a magazine, to iBooks.👍

• Thanks 1

I posted on another thread about how slow typing on the forum is at the moment. Lots of delayed action. It’s definitely not right. I just posted on the JTR Casebook forum and it was the same there. I went on to ‘Pages’ though and typed loads of stuff and it was perfect. It only appears to occur on forums and it’s only for the last couple of days.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what Pages is, but if it resides on your own device, that would explain what you're seeing -- your internet service is slow right now, but of course that does not affect activity within your own computer/phone/whatever.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm not sure what Pages is, but if it resides on your own device, that would explain what you're seeing -- your internet service is slow right now, but of course that does not affect activity within your own computer/phone/whatever.

Hi Carol,

I went onto YouTube to watch a few videos of people people speaking Martian about all things technological. Apparently it’s called Lag. I type stuff in and sometimes nothing happens then the letters form all at once. Apparently it’s a particular issue for the latest version of iOS (whatever that is?) and I only updated to it 2 days ago. That’s how long this lag has been going on. 

Someone on YouTube suggested a couple of things that might help (like disabling Siri which I never use.) I only did the ones that I understood though. I don’t like to speak too soon but as I’m typing this there’s no lag. I posted on the Casebook forum a while ago and it happened a bit. If it stays like this I have no problem. IF.

By the way, I’ve learned something new😃 I cant recall whether it was you or Arcadia who I asked a while ago about typing letters with accents (when typing foreign words. Well.....foreign to me of course?)

à è ö ü 

I was watching a video of iPad Pro keyboard features and by holding the keys other features come up. I really need to look into stuff like this because I’m not getting the full use of this thing. The trouble with me is that my 🧠 switches off when technology is mentioned. Give me a set of instructions and I’m immediately comatosed☹️

On 4/12/2018 at 4:06 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

I asked a while ago about typing letters with accents (when typing foreign words. Well.....foreign to me of course?)

à è ö ü 

I was watching a video of iPad Pro keyboard features and by holding the keys other features come up.

Wonder if that sort of thing is also available on smart phones and/or laptops etc.?  Heaven knows I'm probably ignorant of about 90% of what my devices can do.

• Like 1

Mine isn't an iPhone either, so you're right, the iPad protocols might not work. It might be some sort of industry standard, though -- when/if you get around to trying it, please let me know how it turns out.

I just tried the same thing on my phone (android?) and the same tricks work. Just keep your finger on a letter and a small screen of options come up and you just slide to the one that you want (obviously if you take your finger off it disappears (the options not the phone😃)

• Thanks 1

OK, lemme try it. Apparently you mean, keep my finger on the letter on the virtual keyboard (rather than in the text I've already typed).  Here goes:  Señorita.  Ha!  It works!  Well whaddaya know!

Too lazy to drag my laptop out -- wonder if anything similar might work on there?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

OK, lemme try it. Apparently you mean, keep my finger on the letter on the virtual keyboard (rather than in the text I've already typed).  Here goes:  Señorita.  Ha!  It works!  Well whaddaya know!

Too lazy to drag my laptop out -- wonder if anything similar might work on there?

I never believed that the day would come when I gave someone computer information😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

I never believed that the day would come when I gave someone computer information😃

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you mention it ... I was a bit startled as well. :P 

• Like 2

Hey, I just discovered something else neat that can be done on a phone -- a block of text can be changed from all lower-case to all upper-case by highlighting the text and then clicking the upper-case up-arrow.  And on some apps there's a third alternative of just initial caps.

I have SO often wished there was a simple way to do that on a computer -- and I still wish there was!

• Like 1

Thanks, Martina.  As you say, at least there's a method in Word, though it relies on Word's drop-down menus, and is therefore not applicable elsewhere.

Most of the time I'm just typing into the edit box on a forum or the comment field on a blogsite, and unless there was an utterly HUGE amount of text that I wanted to change, then copying to Word and back wouldn't be any faster than just retyping the text by hand.  Alas!

The only method I know for accessing those letters on a laptop is to open the Character Map. It used to be in Accessories, I have no idea where they've hidden it now. I just type it into Cortana (Window 10's search box) and up it pops. Usually not worth the effort.  §§§

Right, I just search on the word I want (minus the squiggles), then copy the proper version and paste it in.  Way easier on a phone, though!  :D

Okay, here's a question for you smart phone users ... I've been asked if I could show a group of artists how to prepare images of their work for submissions to art shows. I've got the Photoshop knowledge, the specs, etc etc .... but I've discovered that many people are now taking pictures using their phone, and have no other tech. And I know nothing about smart phones. So here's a couple questions:

1. Once the picture has been taken, is there a way to change the filename on a phone?

2. Are there apps that can be used to crop and rotate photos?

Because if they can't do either of those things, the phones are useless. :D For these purposes. ;) 

Thanks!

Okay, here's a question for you smart phone users ... I've been asked if I could show a group of artists how to prepare images of their work for submissions to art shows. I've got the Photoshop knowledge, the specs, etc etc .... but I've discovered that many people are now taking pictures using their phone, and have no other tech. And I know nothing about smart phones. So here's a couple questions:
1. Once the picture has been taken, is there a way to change the filename on a phone?
2. Are there apps that can be used to crop and rotate photos?
Because if they can't do either of those things, the phones are useless. For these purposes.  
Thanks!

Don’t know of a way to change the file name. However, I use Snapseed to edit my iPhone photos. Also, I take my pics in RAW format when possible on my phone and use Dropbox to move the pics to my computer to be edited using Lightroom.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Camper, that Snapseed looks perfect! I'll make a note of it

I notices it says you can "save and share" photos ... I'm wondering if that means there's a way to save it with a new filename there. (?) Most art shows require a very specific filename format, so that feature is an essential.

Can you upload and download photos to/from the internet with an iPhone? That might provide a solution; save it to the Web somewhere where you can edit the name, download it with the new name. Clunky way to do it, but .....