Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recommended Book: The London Of Sherlock Holmes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'm unsure if this is the correct place to start a thread for anyone to recommend books?

I had a book arrive today which 'might' be of interest to anyone a sad as i am🙂

It's called The London Of Sherlock Holmes by an American called Thomas Bruce Wheeler (I picked up my copy on eBay for around £10.)

This book is amazingly researched. What he's done is that he's gone through each story in chronological order, written paragraph on each location mentioned and then put in the longtitude and latitude. If you then type the longtitude and latitude into Google Street Maps it takes you to that location. (Apparently the e-book version has 400 photographs [yup, I might get that too.]) Obviously not all the buildings are still there but some are and you at least get to see where they would have stood.
He's also worked out some walks that you can follow using GPS (too technical for me I think.) one of the Walks is the route that Holmes and Watson took with Toby in The Sign Of Four.
I'm really glad that I bought this. It will certainly keep me amused for hours👍
  • Carol the Dabbler, Arcadia, SherlockedCAMPer and 1 other like this
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#2 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,718 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

That sounds pretty cool, Herlock!  What's the author's take on the location of 221B Baker Street?

I have taken the liberty of editing the thread title, so people who might be interested in this thread will have some idea what the book's about.

• HerlockSholmes likes this

-- Carol

#3 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for title change Carol. He puts the co-ordinates as 51.517932,-0.155587. Which in the book he says is No 31 Baker Street but on google maps street view it points toward numbers 30, 32 and 34. The top of the Google screen says the co-ordinates are number 30 which is a bathrooms/kitchen shop called Hyde Park.
I'll have a look at a few more locations later. If there are any locations you'd like to know just post a message and I'll put them up👍
  • Carol the Dabbler and aprilmaynolight like this
Regards, Herlock

#4 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,718 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

I assume that #30 is one of the fan-deduced addresses for the "real" Baker Street address (seeing as how there was no Baker Street beyond #100 or so in Doyle's day).  Moftiss seem to be using something closer to #95.

-- Carol

#5 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

I'm unsure how he arrived at that one Carol.

As you know Sherlockians have, for years, been researching the stories and debating things like locations. For eg, in this book, in the section on 'The Blue Carbuncle,' he mentions two pubs which could have been Doyle's inspiration for 'The Alpha Tavern.'
One is The Museum Tavern 51.518308,-0.126046.
The other is The Plough 51.517752,-0.125604.

I'm having fun with this book😀
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this
Regards, Herlock

#6 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

Another great book on Doyle/Holmes. The Life And Death Of Sherlock Holmes by Matthias Bostrom. It's a fairly large book at 497 pages but it's well worth it (in my opinion.) It begins with Doyle's life, focusing as you would expect, on his creation and development of the Holmes stories. Then it moves to after Doyle's death in 1930 and the issues of the control of the estate/property rights etc. Finally it moves to representations of Holmes in movies and on radio (from Gillette and Norwood in the silent era, through Brook, Wontner, Rathbone, Wilmer, Cushing, Livanov and Brett with others in between. It finishes with Sherlock/Elementary and the Downey Jnr versions.) There's also some interesting stuff (well, interesting to me anyway🙂) about the beginnings of the Holmes societies like The Baker Street Irregulars and The Sherlock Holmes Society Of London.
Excellent book👍
  • Carol the Dabbler and Arcadia like this
Regards, Herlock