• Announcements

• Undead Medic

Welcome to the new look Sherlock Forum!   02/11/2018

We have now completed the update to the latest forum software. Your login credentials should remain the same as they were on the old site. This update has been a long time in the pipe-line, I have created a thread where members can add their comments or issues with the new site. Many thanks for your patience. Tim (Undead Medic) Sherlock Forum Administrator.
HerlockSholmes

Recommended Book: The London Of Sherlock Holmes

I'm unsure if this is the correct place to start a thread for anyone to recommend books?

I had a book arrive today which 'might' be of interest to anyone a sad as i am

• Like 5

That sounds pretty cool, Herlock!  What's the author's take on the location of 221B Baker Street?

I have taken the liberty of editing the thread title, so people who might be interested in this thread will have some idea what the book's about.

• Like 1

Thanks for title change Carol. He puts the co-ordinates as 51.517932,-0.155587. Which in the book he says is No 31 Baker Street but on google maps street view it points toward numbers 30, 32 and 34. The top of the Google screen says the co-ordinates are number 30 which is a bathrooms/kitchen shop called Hyde Park.

I'll have a look at a few more locations later. If there are any locations you'd like to know just post a message and I'll put them up

• Like 3

I assume that #30 is one of the fan-deduced addresses for the "real" Baker Street address (seeing as how there was no Baker Street beyond #100 or so in Doyle's day).  Moftiss seem to be using something closer to #95.

I'm unsure how he arrived at that one Carol.

As you know Sherlockians have, for years, been researching the stories and debating things like locations. For eg, in this book, in the section on 'The Blue Carbuncle,' he mentions two pubs which could have been Doyle's inspiration for 'The Alpha Tavern.'

One is The Museum Tavern 51.518308,-0.126046.

The other is The Plough 51.517752,-0.125604.

I'm having fun with this book

• Like 2

Another great book on Doyle/Holmes. The Life And Death Of Sherlock Holmes by Matthias Bostrom. It's a fairly large book at 497 pages but it's well worth it (in my opinion.) It begins with Doyle's life, focusing as you would expect, on his creation and development of the Holmes stories. Then it moves to after Doyle's death in 1930 and the issues of the control of the estate/property rights etc. Finally it moves to representations of Holmes in movies and on radio (from Gillette and Norwood in the silent era, through Brook, Wontner, Rathbone, Wilmer, Cushing, Livanov and Brett with others in between. It finishes with Sherlock/Elementary and the Downey Jnr versions.) There's also some interesting stuff (well, interesting to me anyway

• Like 3