Sign in to follow this  
HerlockSholmes

Holmes Quiz

I just thought I'd start this for anyone who has any Holmes-related puzzles or brain teasers?

I'll throw in a quick one for everyone but especially for either Carol or Arcadia (I've been trying to find the posts where one of you told me that you were a massive Tolkien fan, sorry I just can't recall just which one of you it was. To be honest you both look the same to me

So I assume it's not Benedict Cumberbatch either. Hmph.

Ummm... Well, Christopher Lee, of course. And Ian McKellan. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's others but my brain is tired.

How many degrees of separation are there between Sherlock Holmes and Kevin Bacon? :p

Oh, and both Carol and I are Tolkien fans, so you were safe either way! 

• Like 3

Waitaminnit ... Carol looks like a dabbler duck! I look like ... well, we won't get into that. So in what way do we look the same, huh, huh? :p

.... especially for either Carol or Arcadia (I've been trying to find the posts where one of you told me that you were a massive Tolkien fan, sorry I just can't recall just which one of you it was. To be honest you both look the same to me

Well guys I'm a bit embarrassed (well a lot really!) I think that I've got a pretty decent Holmes knowledge but in coming up with a question I had completely forgotten about Sir Ian McKellan. I won't sleep tonight

• Like 1

I'm in error-mode at the moment! That should read 'Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace.'

• Like 1

That's OK. My general Holmes knowledge is pretty random, I'm afraid, so I had no idea.

Which writer gave you your nickname, HS? Because I have historical proof to back up my facts.

Which writer gave you your nickname, HS? Because I have historical proof to back up my facts.

Hi,

I got the name from a book that I have called ‘The Complete Casebook Of Herlock Sholmes.’

It’s a book of parodies by Charles Hamilton, the creator of Billy Bunter.

The name Herlock Sholmes was also, as you probably know, used by Maurice Leblanc. He wanted to pit his character Arsene Lupin against Sherlock Holmes but couldn’t get permission from Doyle so he used the name Herlock Sholmes in two stories. If memory serves I think he also did some stories involving a Homlock Shears too.

• Like 3

A quiz question for all you Sherlock fans.

Of all the actors that have appeared in more than one episode of Sherlock, how many have appeared in Dr Who? And, of course, can you name them?

Well, there's Wanda Ventham (Mummy Holmes), who played a gold-plated character back in the Tom Baker era (she was in all the cool shows back then).  But I must admit to being only a casual Who viewer.

And if it weren't for your "more than one episode" criterion, there's Peter Davison (planetarium voice in TGG and the nth Doctor).

Oops. How did I miss that one? I went through the cast list on IMDb looking at each cv but that one got past me.

So that’s one named. I have 4 more.

Ooo, ooo, I know one! Mark Gatiss! :cowdance: 

ETA: And Rupert Graves!

Really, Dr. Who's been on so long ... hasn't everyone been in it by now? :smile:

• Haha 1

Well double-dammit!  I wasn’t up to date enough in my checks to count Mark Gatiss!  And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for you pesky moderators😀

and so, to recap, we have Mark Gatiss and Wanda Ventham so far. My apparently rather flimsy research gives me three more names. I’ll post the names in around 2-3 hours.

Ahem. You missed my addition: Rupert Graves. :blowmytop: 

On a hunch, I looked up Lindsay Duncan. Got another one!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

On a hunch, I looked up Lindsay Duncan.

That's cheating!  :P

• Haha 1

So we have Wanda Ventham, Rupert Graves, Mark Gatiss and now Lindsay Duncan. I have 2 more. It’s 2.50 pm here. I’ll post the other 2 at 3.30.

The prize is a cheque for $1000 from Carol :D 

• Haha 1

I know Loo Brealey did some sort of Dr. Who radio/podcast/reading type thingy ... does that count? Never heard she was on the show, though.

Ummmm .... just because he seems like a good choice for Who: David Nellist?

The other two that I got from IMDb were:

Vinette Robinson who played Donovan. She played a character called Abi Lerner in 2007.

Phil Davis who played Jeff the serial killer/taxi driver in ASIP. He played Lucius in 2009.

You both did better than I would have done faced with the same question👍

Ah.

I would have guessed Phil Davis (simply because he seems to appear everywhere,) but you said "more than one episode of Sherlock" -- although maybe you're counting the unaired pilot as an episode. Hmmmm......

Three out of five, I didn't do too bad. Although I didn't have much competition, did I? Typical weekend, everyone but me is out having a life. And now I must away too, and leave you all on your own. Don't get into too much trouble, Herl.

• Like 1

That’s a good point Arcadia. I just scanned the IMDb list and stopped at those that only appeared once. They must have counted the unaired pilot. I didn’t consider that.

Well, you did not specify *aired* episodes -- so just claim that you meant to include the pilot, and wanted to see if we would realize that.  :P

• Like 1

Hey, whose side are you on! 

• Like 1

I'm on the side of Truth, Justice, and the Sherlockian Way!  :sherlock::rathbone:  :brett:  :sherlock2:

• Like 1