Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Holmes the murderer.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Good morning, all . .though it is now afternoon where you are, Herlock.

I enjoyed reading about the genesis of SH's name in "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street".

According to Mr. Baring-Gould, Holmes's full moniker was an homage to English theologian William Sherlock, with the 'Scott' being chosen by his mother after her favorite novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Seeing as the Holmes's second-born son (or third, if some sources are to be believed) obviously came into the world with a full head of black hair, he was not named 'Sherlock' for his hair color, and that other meaning was completely coincidental. :)

"Mycroft" is named after the family hermitage in Yorkshire, which is fitting for the eldest son.

Thanks for the reminder Hikari,

I couldn’t recall the reasoning behind the name although suspected that Sir Walter Scott came into it. Talking of names I recall seeing a documentary a few years ago where the presenter went to Doyle’s old school Stoneyhurst and spoke to a priest. He showed a school photograph which included a young Doyle. Although he couldn’t name the individual students he knew that one of the other boys was called Moriarty.
  • Carol the Dabbler likes this
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#22 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 281 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

Good morning, all . .though it is now afternoon where you are, Herlock.

I enjoyed reading about the genesis of SH's name in "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street".

According to Mr. Baring-Gould, Holmes's full moniker was an homage to English theologian William Sherlock, with the 'Scott' being chosen by his mother after her favorite novelist, Sir Walter Scott. Seeing as the Holmes's second-born son (or third, if some sources are to be believed) obviously came into the world with a full head of black hair, he was not named 'Sherlock' for his hair color, and that other meaning was completely coincidental. :)

"Mycroft" is named after the family hermitage in Yorkshire, which is fitting for the eldest son.

Thanks for the reminder Hikari,

I couldn’t recall the reasoning behind the name although suspected that Sir Walter Scott came into it. Talking of names I recall seeing a documentary a few years ago where the presenter went to Doyle’s old school Stoneyhurst and spoke to a priest. He showed a school photograph which included a young Doyle. Although he couldn’t name the individual students he knew that one of the other boys was called Moriarty.

Aha.  Perhaps young Arthur and young Moriarty got into a scrap and ACD continued to hold grievances over it, exorcising his nemesis by turning him into an evil criminal mastermind and plunging him over the Reichenbach Falls . . .?

In my collection, I have an essay dealing with 'Anti-Hibernian Sentiment in the Canon'.  The author argues that Conan Doyle was so ashamed of/alienated from the Irish half of his heritage (his pater suffering from the Celtic melancholia in a big way), that his own partially self-loathing bias comes out in the fact that so many of his villains or morally low characters at any rate, are Irishmen . . the two biggest examples being Moriarty and Moran.  But he gave John Miss Mary Morstan as a counterbalance.

• Carol the Dabbler and HerlockSholmes like this

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#23 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,718 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

... or maybe Moftiss are correct, and he actually meant her to be another evil Hibernian, deep undercover (as it were)?

• Arcadia likes this

-- Carol

#24 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

I was just reading Wikipedia on Nicol Williamson who played Holmes in The Seven Percent Solution (because that’s the kind of saddo I am🙂) Apparently the playwright John Osborne called him ‘the greatest actor since Brando.’ Samuel Beckett said ‘he was touched by genius.’

I didn’t realise that he was so highly regarded as an actor.
Regards, Herlock

#25 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 281 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

I was just reading Wikipedia on Nicol Williamson who played Holmes in The Seven Percent Solution (because that’s the kind of saddo I am🙂) Apparently the playwright John Osborne called him ‘the greatest actor since Brando.’ Samuel Beckett said ‘he was touched by genius.’

I have read some entertaining anecdotes about Mr. Williamson's, um, highly artistic temperament.  Some of his obituaries labeled him 'mercurial'.  He was known to throw props from the stage at audience members.  In an infamous incident, he belted co-star Evan Handler across the backside with a prop sword while doing a stage duel as part of the play "I Hate Hamlet".  Nicol got a little too Method in his stagecraft.  Handler walked off the stage and did not return to the play.  While they scrambled backstage to get an understudy ready to go on, Nicol entertained the audience with an improvised patter of monologue, song and dance.

Really wish I would have been there . . !

#26 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 17,718 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

... just as long as he didn't throw a blunt prop at you!

-- Carol

#27 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

He was certainly very volatile. Apparently he died in ‘relative’ poverty.
Regards, Herlock

#28 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 281 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

He was a fantastic Merlin in Excalibur.  Apparently some years prior to this film, Nicol had co-starred with his Morgana, Helen Mirren, in another project and they were lovers for a time . . he being considerably older than she.  These two passionate actors attracted each other for a time, but then they became opposite charges repelling.  After a bitter breakup they could not stand each other.

Director John Boorman knew this and used the couple's animosity to his advantage.  I think he'd actually attached Helen first and then hired Nicol fully aware of their past history.  Just so the love-hate relationship between Merlin and Morgana would be extra-saucy.

Merlin's distinctive headdress was fashioned by a talented costume designer after Williamson flatly refused to shave his head for the part.

• Carol the Dabbler and HerlockSholmes like this

#29 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

He was a fantastic Merlin in Excalibur. Apparently some years prior to this film, Nicol had co-starred with his Morgana, Helen Mirren, in another project and they were lovers for a time . . he being considerably older than she. These two passionate actors attracted each other for a time, but then they became opposite charges repelling. After a bitter breakup they could not stand each other.

Director John Boorman knew this and used the couple's animosity to his advantage. I think he'd actually attached Helen first and then hired Nicol fully aware of their past history. Just so the love-hate relationship between Merlin and Morgana would be extra-saucy.

Merlin's distinctive headdress was fashioned by a talented costume designer after Williamson flatly refused to shave his head for the part.

I read about the past history of Mirren and Williamson. They really appeared to loathe each other.
Regards, Herlock

#30 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,486 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

... or maybe Moftiss are correct, and he actually meant her to be another evil Hibernian, deep undercover (as it were)?

Aha, that's where they got the idea from ... it's canon!! Carol, you're brilliant.

Wow, me neither. I remember I always found him a little off putting, for some reason I can't define. But then I've always felt that way about Brando, too.

It's this, or Cluedo.

#31 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

I only seen him in 2 or 3 roles and he was very intense in all of them. I think it suited The Seven Percent Solution though as he was in the grip of a cocaine addiction.
Regards, Herlock

#32 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Superintendent

• 359 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

For me Williamson is one of the actors who have played Holmes once that I’d have liked to have seen play the detective again. Others include the excellent John Neville also Robert Stephens, Tom Baker and Rupert Everett.
Regards, Herlock