Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Female Sherlock!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Poor old Nigel Bruce has certainly come in for some criticism over the years for his portrayal of Watson. I think that it’s worth remembering though that the movies weren’t an attempt (like Granada’s) to make a completely faithful representation. They wanted Watson to be a counterbalance to the coldly logical Holmes and saw Bruce as the ideal man for the job. Bruce pretty much played the same character in every film he made. His character actually got more comic after The Hound Of The Baskervilles. The movie company no doubt saw the comic potential of the Rathbone/Bruce double-act.

Confession time: I have never seen a Rathbone/Bruce Holmes movie. Only clips and stills. But I gather that Nigel Bruce plays Watson basically the same as his turn opposite Cary Grant & Joan Fontaine in Suspicion . . . as a genial, dim 'old bean'. Loveable . . but do you really want to rely on him in a crisis? Nigel was a top character actor just taking direction, as actors do . . one wonders if he ever pined to play his Watson as just a tiny bit more intelligent and coordinated.

You surprise me Hikari. If I’d advise any of the Rathbone/Bruce movies I’d go for ‘The Hound’ as I think it’s the best version ever. Then the next movie ‘The Adventures.’ Of The others I’d go for The Scarlet Claw And Terror By Night.

I purchased a Sherlock movie pack featuring the Rathbone/Bruce Hound, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and another . .Without a Clue? . . can't remember.  Then my TV died, and I haven't watched those discs yet.  Soon, I hope.

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#42 Artemis

Artemis

Consulting Detective

• 2,277 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

I have been watching the Rathbone movies lately with a newfound appreciation.  I enjoy looking for similarities between them and BBC "Sherlock".  So far my favorites have been "Dressed to Kill" and "The Woman in Green".  I also liked "Terror By Night", "The Secret Weapon", and "The Hound", although the latter two lost my attention for a bit in the middle.  I enjoyed Watson's exasperation at Holmes' reveal in "The Hound" though, lol.  I don't think I've seen any others yet.

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#43 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 520 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Poor old Nigel Bruce has certainly come in for some criticism over the years for his portrayal of Watson. I think that it’s worth remembering though that the movies weren’t an attempt (like Granada’s) to make a completely faithful representation. They wanted Watson to be a counterbalance to the coldly logical Holmes and saw Bruce as the ideal man for the job. Bruce pretty much played the same character in every film he made. His character actually got more comic after The Hound Of The Baskervilles. The movie company no doubt saw the comic potential of the Rathbone/Bruce double-act.

Confession time: I have never seen a Rathbone/Bruce Holmes movie. Only clips and stills. But I gather that Nigel Bruce plays Watson basically the same as his turn opposite Cary Grant & Joan Fontaine in Suspicion . . . as a genial, dim 'old bean'. Loveable . . but do you really want to rely on him in a crisis? Nigel was a top character actor just taking direction, as actors do . . one wonders if he ever pined to play his Watson as just a tiny bit more intelligent and coordinated.
You surprise me Hikari. If I’d advise any of the Rathbone/Bruce movies I’d go for ‘The Hound’ as I think it’s the best version ever. Then the next movie ‘The Adventures.’ Of The others I’d go for The Scarlet Claw And Terror By Night.

I purchased a Sherlock movie pack featuring the Rathbone/Bruce Hound, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and another . .Without a Clue? . . can't remember. Then my TV died, and I haven't watched those discs yet. Soon, I hope.

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes is a gem. I’ve just pre-ordered the new Blu-ray version with deleted scenes and documentary. I’m like a kid waiting for Santa🙂
  • Arcadia likes this
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#44 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

I purchased a Sherlock movie pack featuring the Rathbone/Bruce Hound, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and another . .Without a Clue? . . can't remember. Then my TV died, and I haven't watched those discs yet. Soon, I hope.

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes is a gem. I’ve just pre-ordered the new Blu-ray version with deleted scenes and documentary. I’m like a kid waiting for Santa🙂

I will be watching that movie and looking for signs that Toby's pater was on the edge of a suicidal nervous breakdown.  It seems like an overreaction for this kind of film; I mean, it's not like he was shooting Apocalypse Now in the jungles of Cambodia.  So glad he didn't harm himself for a movie, no matter how much of a gem.  It would be considerably less shiny today if the leading man had done away with himself. 

I'm not sure why Stephens felt so overwhelmed by this experience.  If he was hesitant in portraying homoerotic overtones or what.  I don't think Sherlock Holmes would have been 'bovvered' by that aspect, really.  Sex with either males or females didn't ring his bell, but I suppose if he were that way inclined, being intimate with Watson would be far preferable to consorting with any hysterical female types.  Sex between two men was an illegal act until, what, 1964, but I don't suppose that would have troubled SH overmuch, either.  Flouting of such a bourgeois law (and a bad one at that) would have appealed to his Bohemian side.

Mr. Stephens was bothered by something, though, quite badly.

#45 gerry

gerry

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 605 posts
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:28 AM

.... and the fact that so many episodes seem to veer into "CSI: Baker Street" territory, in that they feel more like an American police procedural rather than a Sherlock Holmes portrayal. It makes sense, because this is an American show, but I just have never liked that genre.

I don’t mind procedurals but I do think Elementary is different than the others I watch because each season has a season long character arc that is separate from the case of the week.

Heresy time here: I think, at many points, JLM is a better actor than BC. He handles the material in Elementary in a sensitive and nuanced way, and then he can turn around and do something like Frankenstein. I know BC essentially did the same, but I think JLM introduced elements to Holmes's character that make him sympathetic even though he is scarred and battle hardened.

You won’t get any argument from me on this but I do think a part of it is that the writing and tone of Elementary is much more serious than Sherlock. I also think it’s acting choices on behalf of BC to really embrace the immature, abrasive part of Sherlock’s personality rather than imbue him with more layers. Elementary’s Sherlock just has more depth for me, a world weary damaged man with high intellect and with more appreciation for those around him because of how fragile life is. I also wouldn’t be surprised if JLM has some sort of personal exposure to drug addiction through himself or close friend/family because he definitely adds texture to Sherlock that his addiction is an ever part of his psyche then again, Sherlock has relapsed a couple of times on Elementary so it’s easy to convey.

(And, FWIW, I like both the tattoos and the prostitutes. It's just another way of making Holmes bohemian in the modern era; there's only so much shock value we can really get from someone hanging out in his dressing gown all day like we would in the Victorian era.)

I don’t particular care for body art but it doesn’t affect my viewing of Elementary though I’m certainly not a Sherlock scholar.
  • Boton likes this

#46 Artemis

Artemis

Consulting Detective

• 2,277 posts
  • LocationBolt-hole

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

I have been watching the Rathbone movies lately with a newfound appreciation.  I enjoy looking for similarities between them and BBC "Sherlock".

Speaking of similarities...

9fa5610d6c44669bfd4cadcc86d20369.jpg

tumblr_ndwpp8DqCB1t1g01wo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6wf65stGR1t1g01wo5_1280.jpg

516c1721df77009e946b815b43784cdd.jpg

^ Coat collar up.  :P

"Why have I got this blanket?  They keep putting this blanket on me."

#47 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

I didnt know if anyone had heard of this or where to post it so Moderaters ‘feel free to move.’👍

http://metro.co.uk/2...ot-7202499/amp/

I just watched the trailer--5 or 6 times.

Miss Sherlock sets herself apart as a bit of a weirdo by smiling so big and so frequently at the mention of 'strange cases' and 'dead bodies'.  Totally in character, though the trailer does not include the phrase 'The Game's afoot!' in Japanese.  That is probably not translatable.

There is a brief moment between Miss Sherlock and her companion Miss Wato that hints at homoerotica.  So this may be the first all-female, lesbian reboot of Sherlock ever devised!  They gave this Sherlock a cello instead of a violin--nice touch.

#48 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 18,011 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:15 AM

... her companion Miss Wato ....

Which in Japanese would surely be "Wato-san"?  :D

-- Carol

#49 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

... her companion Miss Wato ....

Which in Japanese would surely be "Wato-san"?  :D

Hai, so desu ne!  (You got it!)

Wato-san, indeed.  I'd be interested to know what the first names of our characters will be. 

Miss Sherlock's first name is perhaps 'Shindoko'  (Wonder child/prodigy).

#50 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 18,011 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Given that first names are hardly ever used outside the family in Japan, the show could very easily follow the lead of Doyle's original stories -- "my esteemed Watso-san," and so forth.

-- Carol

#51 Surelock

Surelock

Detective Superintendent

• 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

I don't know what to think of this. The Japanese mystery series that I've seen have been a mixed bag. Some have been good. Others not so much.

I hope this series is good though. I need a good mystery series to watch because nobody knows how long it will take for another Sherlock season to premiere.

• Arcadia likes this

#52 Arcadia

Arcadia

Consulting Detective

• 15,821 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Anybody have any idea how to see it in this country? I assume it will involve some sort of pay service.... :(

It's this, or Cluedo.