Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A Collector’s Lot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

Detective Chief Superintendent

• 520 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Final Problem

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Mods - I hope that this thread is ok?

As a bit of a nerdy collector of Holmes/Doyle books, dvd’s, cd’s etc I’m often pleased with myself when I make a find. I may be the only one posting on this thread but here goes.

I’m a happy man😀 I was just given a link to a site that was selling copies of the 1937 Der Hund Von Baskervilles (with subtitles😀😀) I’ve just ordered a copy. I’ve been After it for years 😀😀😀. I think that there are only 2 versions of The Hound that I don’t have now and one of those is sitting in the BFI archive unavailable😢😡.

And just to cap off a good day I was rooting around in a charity shop and came across a cd box set (7 discs) Of The House Of Silk read by Derek Jacobi😀😀.

Happy days in HerlockWorld👍
  • Arcadia likes this
Regards, Herlock
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

#2 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:The Great Game
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Lying Detective

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

As a bit of a nerdy collector of Holmes/Doyle books, dvd’s, cd’s etc I’m often pleased with myself when I make a find. I may be the only one posting on this thread but here goes.

I’m a happy man😀 I was just given a link to a site that was selling copies of the 1937 Der Hund Von Baskervilles (with subtitles😀😀) I’ve just ordered a copy. I’ve been After it for years 😀😀😀. I think that there are only 2 versions of The Hound that I don’t have now and one of those is sitting in the BFI archive unavailable😢😡.

And just to cap off a good day I was rooting around in a charity shop and came across a cd box set (7 discs) Of The House Of Silk read by Derek Jacobi😀😀.

Happy days in HerlockWorld👍

Congratulations on your scores!

It's too bad that even Der Hund von Baskervilles could not act as a bridge between nations in 1937 and stave off the outbreak of war, or Conan Doyle would have been in line for a posthumous Nobel Peace Prize.

Caya will be able to tell me if this is absolutely cr*ppy German.  If it is, it's the Google translator's fault, not mine.

"Sie waren die Fusspuren eines reisingen Hundes!"

Derek Jacobi is an excellent choice of reader, though I don't really care for audiobooks.  I wonder if he does the follow-up, "Moriarty". 

I am the Stormy Petrel of crime.

#3 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

• 520 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

I’m useless with languages, even English, but I’ll have a guess that the sentence reads “they were the footprints of a gigantic Hound!”
I’ve heard it before somewhere🙂

I’m not a massive fan of audiobooks myself but for £2 I thought, why not? Apparently Stephen Fry has just recorded the entire Canon so I might be tempted one day. I prefer the radio plays myself. Speaking of which.... David Marcum wrote for the Imagination Theatre Who produced some Holmes radio plays. I have around 8 and they are very good. I think that they’ve done many more though but I can’t find them to buy anywhere. If you could ever find out where I can buy them I’d be grateful👍

Derek Jacobi is very good as you said. I once had a friend who loved the series Cadfael (never watched it myself though.)
Regards, Herlock

#4 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

I’m useless with languages, even English, but I’ll have a guess that the sentence reads “they were the footprints of a gigantic Hound!”
I’ve heard it before somewhere🙂

I’m not a massive fan of audiobooks myself but for £2 I thought, why not? Apparently Stephen Fry has just recorded the entire Canon so I might be tempted one day. I prefer the radio plays myself. Speaking of which.... David Marcum wrote for the Imagination Theatre Who produced some Holmes radio plays. I have around 8 and they are very good. I think that they’ve done many more though but I can’t find them to buy anywhere. If you could ever find out where I can buy them I’d be grateful👍

Derek Jacobi is very good as you said. I once had a friend who loved the series Cadfael (never watched it myself though.)

I will perhaps try that query and see if it raises my author out of the woodwork.  :)

A friend gave me some Cadfael DVDs and I've seen a couple of them.  They are good but I prefer Derek in in most recent project, Last Tango in Halifax.  That is a very good, intergenerational drama-comedy series about two families in Yorkshire who are forced to get along (or not) when the patriarch and matriarch respectively reconnect on Facebook after 50 years and get married.  The two daughters (Sarah Lancashire; Nicola Walker) couldn't be more different than chalk and cheese.  Nicola Walker was the initial draw for me because I'm such a Spooks fan, but Alan, played by Jacobi is the heart of the ensemble.  Your dad and you might enjoy watching this together. 

• Carol the Dabbler and HerlockSholmes like this

#5 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 18,011 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

It's in the right sub-forum, it's a coherent topic, and it's expressed in a civilized manner.  Don't worry, Herlock -- if you ever goof, we'll be happy to move the thread for you!  You really needn't ask.

... I prefer Derek in in most recent project, Last Tango in Halifax.  That is a very good, intergenerational drama-comedy series about two families in Yorkshire who are forced to get along (or not) when the patriarch and matriarch respectively reconnect on Facebook after 50 years and get married

Ooh, that sounds wonderful -- thanks for the recommendation!  Such things do happen in real life, and it's good to see that acknowledged.  I've added the first series to our Amazon wish list.

At first I assumed it was set in Canada, but then I learned that there's also a Halifax (presumably the original) in Yorkshire.

• HerlockSholmes likes this

-- Carol

#6 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

• 520 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

Cheers Carol.
Regards, Herlock

#7 Hikari

Hikari

Detective Superintendent

• 473 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

It's in the right sub-forum, it's a coherent topic, and it's expressed in a civilized manner.  Don't worry, Herlock -- if you ever goof, we'll be happy to move the thread for you!  You really needn't ask.

... I prefer Derek in in most recent project, Last Tango in Halifax.  That is a very good, intergenerational drama-comedy series about two families in Yorkshire who are forced to get along (or not) when the patriarch and matriarch respectively reconnect on Facebook after 50 years and get married

Ooh, that sounds wonderful -- thanks for the recommendation!  Such things do happen in real life, and it's good to see that acknowledged.  I've added the first series to our Amazon wish list.

At first I assumed it was set in Canada, but then I learned that there's also a Halifax (presumably the original) in Yorkshire.

Carol,

I assumed the same thing before I watched it--that "Halifax" was in Nova Scotia.  The fact that the entire cast is British should have tipped me off.

Last Tango is an example of what the British do so very well in their television--comic, tragic and all colors in between.   Plus it makes Yorkshire look very attractive, too, while at the same time 'real'.  Top notch actors all 'round.  Our Rupert Graves appears in S3 in a guest role.

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

#8 HerlockSholmes

HerlockSholmes

• 520 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

More Holmes nerdiness. I’ve just exchanged a few emails with Roger Johnson who is honorary editor of The Sherlock Holmes Journal. He informed me that a copy of a 1929 Holmes movie has surfaced in Warsaw. It’s another Der Hund Von Baskervilles made in Germany starring an American actor called Carlyle Blackwell. It’s being shown at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in August and then it’s planned to release it on dvd at some point.😀😀😀😀😀

This is Blackwell.

https://en.m.wikiped...cph3b05772u.jpg
  • Carol the Dabbler and Arcadia like this
Regards, Herlock

#9 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 18,011 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite series 4 episode:The Abominable Bride

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Carol,

I assumed the same thing before I watched it--that "Halifax" was in Nova Scotia.  The fact that the entire cast is British should have tipped me off.

Last Tango is an example of what the British do so very well in their television--comic, tragic and all colors in between.   Plus it makes Yorkshire look very attractive, too, while at the same time 'real'.  Top notch actors all 'round.  Our Rupert Graves appears in S3 in a guest role.

I hadn't heard of any of the main actors before, so I was free to be ignorant regarding Halifax as well!  :P  (Besides, I've *been* to the one in Nova Scotia.)

Yup, I noticed that RG is in all (six?) episodes of the third series.  :applause:  Also, the fellow who played AJ in Six Thatchers is in all of the first series, so I'll (eventually) get to see him in (one assumes) a different sort of role.  The DVD is now on our wish list, and we're keeping an eye on the price.

-- Carol

#10 J.P.

J.P.

Consulting Detective

• 5,909 posts
  • Twitter @jp30567
  • LocationGermany
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:His Last Vow

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

The actor is in a short movie The Tractate Middoth

• Carol the Dabbler likes this

Where's your heart - there's your treasure.
221C-Sherlock's Cellar - My designs for Sherlock Fans who don't want to be too obvious