Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

Pseud lives pretty close to the epicenter, I believe.  The shaking could have made a real jumble of her things at home and/or her stock at work, so she may not get much of a weekend.

Tim, I've had this happen twice now, so I'm pretty sure it's an actual thing.  Here's a link to the second time.

What I intended to post was of this form:

1. intro remarks

2. quote in a box

3. end remarks

What I actually got was like this:

1. intro remarks

2. quote plus end remarks in a box

I tried to fix it but found that -- even though I could edit my intro remarks, could add text following the quote box, and could even edit the quote itself, I could not touch the original end remarks -- they acted like an image.

Side remark: When anything of this general sort happened with the old software, I'd just kick into plain-text mode and fix the code -- any chance we'll be getting plain-text mode back?  What about the ability to preview a post?

P.S.:  Several people have commented that some of their old posts now contain only a quote, without their reply.  I haven't looked at any of these, but is it possible that the reply got moved inside the quote box and they just didn't notice it there?

No, there's whole posts missing, as well as replies to quotes missing. 'Tis bizarre. And did you notice the invisible text on the post you were just referring to?

Did you cut and paste the quote from PB, by the way? I've noticed that lately, even before forum software was upgraded, that occasionally when I cut and paste something it would appear in a different font/color, and I'd have to go back and remove a long string of code to make it look normal. Haven't checked recently....

Here is something I've cut and pasted: "is it possible that the reply got moved inside the quote box and they just didn't notice it there?"

Nope, no format change. Let me try it from a different website: "What you need to know about curling at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games" Aha! Although I've never gotten black on black text before .... :wacko: And notice I now have a different font size.

Okay, I notice you get an option to paste as plain text now, let's see what happens: "What you need to know about curling at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games" Hmmm. now I get visible text, but still in the smaller font. Verrrrry interesting.

Let's increase the font size... Wait! All I did was hit enter, just like all my other paragraphs, and now I have regular sized-text, but in green! Wahhhhh! I give up!

Gah, I just switched over from Blue Boh to the light theme, and now I see that half of what I typed up there is almost invisible. The first quote I pasted is in a much lighter grey than the regular text (in Blue Boh it looked normal) and the ones I pasted from the other website are black, but smaller. (Which was invisible on the black edit screen in Blue Boh, and only barely visible after I posted it; black on dark blue-grey.) But the text I typed after was also black when I started typing it, so I changed it to light grey, which is now almost invisible on the "Light" background. So what we need is a "default" color.... Aha. 

"What you need to know about curling at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games" I have changed that quote, and these remarks, to "automatic" color. Right now they look medium gray. Let's see what happens when I switch back to Blue Boh.

Okay, now the font color looks normal in Blue Boh, too. But the size is still tiny....

Let's try pasting a headline: "Sochi in review" Yep, it's black (invisible). And huge. And now I have the wrong font. I can't find a default font. Let me try pasting in plain text: Sochi in review Hmmm, same results.

Yes, the Photo Bucket quote was copied and pasted (how else could I have done it? :huh: ).  I've tried a couple of times (including this one) to follow the directions for pasting without the formatting, but either I don't understand the directions or they're not working for me.

I should also mention that I typed the quote code in by hand.  It appears to have moved the /quote down to the end for me.

Oddly enough, I used to have the opposite problem with the indent code, which I usually typed by hand (it would move the /indent code up to the end of the first paragraph), but it worked just fine for me in my post above.

I know which directions you mean, although I can't remember now when I've encountered them. But they didn't work for me either.

I guess I was thinking maybe you somehow linked to the Photobucket quote, rather than cut/paste. But that's just because the whole post looked so odd when I was in Blue Boh that I couldn't even see all of it properly; the link "here" was just hanging out in space, looking like it wasn't connected to anything.

Hi hi, new look..!

Have to be honest that I don't have good experience with it so far. But maybe because I haven't had time to explore much.

When I go to the website, it says the the web you are looking for does not exist. Is that normal? But there is a link to log in for existing user, which then bring me to the same it does not exist page. Only after a couple of clicking I would then reach the home page, and it has similar feature like what it was with the mobile version back then, it hardly shows me anything, that I need a lot of clickings to see what is going on with threads I am interested in, and tbh, not straightforward like it used to. 

But thanks for maintaining our existence Tim.

Sorry in advance if I probably can't spend a lot of time here. It feels a bit difficult to keep up myself to date of what is going around since it's harder to navigate. Hopefully I'd work around it.

Keep on it guys. Cheers!!

Glad to see you, VBS, and I know the feeling you're talking about -- like where *is* everything??!  Keep at it and you'll gradually get the hang of it.

I got that no-such-page error the first few times I tried to use the "new" forum, but then realized it was because I hadn't changed my bookmark.  I'm still trying to figure out what page I prefer as my home base, but right now I have my bookmark set to Unread Content.

• Thanks 1

Same here. Right now the top line on my browser's "most visited" menu is "page doesn't exist." :wacko:

• Haha 1

Yes, feel like the time when classic Windows changed its interface and instead of direct way to shut down, now I have to go through couple of steps.

But I could see couple of positive things I would like, for example just a click away from New Content which I never used previously because I prefer my Content (will find that eventually! XD) and what Carol said, inability to like own post, I would love that one because using banana finger on phone, god knows how many times I accidentally liked my own post and only realized in horror after I logged out or when I came back. Oh hehe, and I see the react button is kind of fun, but couldn't do the like and thanks at the same time.

Question, would it be confusing for someone new to look for a forum and stumble upon the main page that says it doesn't exist/look like closed forum that caters only to existing member? Is it being sort out or that is actual main page? Imho, this could hurt newbie's accessibility. I thought we had technical difficulty and didn't try to click around for couple of days.

I think I had come across a couple of those when I tried to find something, and naturally I thought there was nothing going on and moved on.

Hmm, interesting question. I just googled the forum and clicked on the link that was given me, and landed on the "new" home page, like I should. So I assume new people coming here for the first time would do something similar? But those of us who had bookmarked it ... weil, I know I'd bookmarked the "Unread content" page, not the home page, so I assume that's why I was getting the "doesn't exist" message. I had to bookmark the new "unread content" page instead.

• Like 2

I'm sure you're right, Arcadia -- we were getting that "no such page" message simply because we had bookmarked the old forum's New Content page * -- so when we clicked that bookmark, we were trying to access a page that no longer exists.  In other words, VBS, no I don't think any newbies would have that problem -- unless some webpage had a link to the old New Content page, which would be a weird thing for anyone to have done.  Regardless of whether a newbie is coming from Google or from a link on some other webpage, they'll almost certainly be directed to the forum's Home Page, and that address has not changed.

* Added:  Or in your case, VBS, you had presumably bookmarked the old forum's My Content page, which likewise no longer exists.  Though there does seem to be an equivalent -- near the top of the Unread Content page, there's a row of options, one of which is Ownership.  Click on that dropdown menu, and there are a couple of "my content" type options.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I tried clearing everything, including my default browser, which is yes, this forum, researched and found the home page and re-bookmark it. It's okay now.

Previously when the forum had just changed, I actually went to google and followed the link from there, I also tried to manually typed in the forum from blank page, but presumably since I had not cleared my bookmark yet, it always showed the doesn't exist thingy.

Another question, did any of you experience post jump, or being logged out? 

It happened to me when I wrote long post, as I tried to submit, I had to re-logged in because suddenly I was in guest mode. Luckily I had copied the text in my note. When I logged in again, the draft still existed though.

Post-jump is when I was browsing a thread and pretty sure I was clicking Next page, but suddenly I was in the middle of another thread. There is possibility I was clicking too fast but it happens couple of times that I start to suspect it's not merely banana finger problem.

@Carol, I can't find the ownership option yet. There are only three buttons on top and none of those have that options. Haven't given a lot of tries though, will try again.

I've noticed that all the emoties typed in within the last few days have all reverted back to text. Well, I say "typed" ... some of them may have been inserted from the menu. :smile: That one was typed. This one is inserted: :smile: Let's see what becomes of them.

Also, I just checked some older (year or two ago) posts ... and oddly enough, it's inconsistent; some emoties are emoties, others are just text. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see ... not that I looked very hard. ;)

14 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

@Carol, I can't find the ownership option yet. There are only three buttons on top and none of those have that options. Haven't given a lot of tries though, will try again.

Hang on, maybe it's different on a phone -- lemme look at mine --

OK, click on the little three-line thingie (menu logo?) at the very top of the page (next to the Search magnifying glass).  You'll get a drop-down menu.  Click Activity.  You'll get another drop-down.  Click My Activity Streams.  You'll get another drop-down.  I assume you'll want to click Content I Posted In, but there are several other options you may want to consider.

• Thanks 1

I have a question about the new pop-up notifications.  I'm talking about the little information strip that I get across the bottom of the screen when I get a new private message, etc.  What I want to know is, will those also show up on my phone?  So far I haven't seen any there -- do I need to turn them on somehow?

Found it Carol, thanks!

Regarding your question, I am using my phone. I could see some notifications for quote and likes (although it seems like it doesn't show everything/missing some unlike back then --> or maybe I'm still confused). I haven't received private msg to answer your questions though.

• 2 weeks later...

New experience with the forum.

I cam't log in with my phone.

Everytime I tried, after putting in username and password, nothing happened. I'm still outside. Tried it for eight times different occasions, nope.

I didn't change anything on my phone, and 98.999768% percent of my existence in this forum is through that phone, it still worked fine the last time I posted.

Currently I have to use work desktop just to get in.

Why why? Is it my face? It's my nose, isn't it? :teardrop:

I'm not sure  I've actually logged in since the software changed -- I generally just stay logged in, on both my phone and my laptop.  I'm gonna be brave now, and log out on my phone. We'll see if I can get back in!

Tim -- when I was logging back in, the name and password entry boxes were labeled in white which I could read just fine against the dark blue background.  But then there was something in red that I could barely see, let alone read.  No idea what it says!

Anyhow, looks like I'm back, no problem.

What kind of phone do you have, VBS?  And what browser are you using?  Hopefully Tim will have some ideas.

If all else fails, though, I'm afraid you'll have to get a nose job.

• Thanks 1

A bit of technical advice please. I accessed the forum from my phone today but there was no ‘log-in.’ I searched everywhere I could but couldn’t see a way of logging in. There was a kind of ad though for ‘tapatalk.’ 

Is there a way for me to log in from my phone or do I need this tapatalk thing? I don’t even know what it is.

please send any information to:

Herlock Sholmes

Cave Number 221b

England

Thanks👍

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

A bit of technical advice please. I accessed the forum from my phone today but there was no ‘log-in.’ I searched everywhere I could but couldn’t see a way of logging in. There was a kind of ad though for ‘tapatalk.’ 

Is there a way for me to log in from my phone or do I need this tapatalk thing? I don’t even know what it is.

please send any information to:

Herlock Sholmes

Cave Number 221b

England

Thanks👍

No, you do not need Tapatalk to use the forum on your phone! I do so all the time. The login is at the top right, or should be, at least. 

There's a symbol that looks like three lines of writing (three horizontal bars). Click on that. A menu will appear. At the top it says: "existing user? Sign in". Click there and an option should appear to type in your user name and password. 

• Thanks 4

Thanks T.o.b.y

I feel even more of an idiot now.. I’d done  that but the advert for tapatalk was hiding the sign-in! The x to get rid of it was almost wholly off-screen. Bloody technology!

All sorted now. Thanks again T.o.b.y👍