Google’s Sherlock News

HerlockSholmes

Yay JP! Because that's the other side of it ... not only do I doubt BC actually meant to "diss' Martin ... Martin never said that stuff to begin with. It was pretty clear (to me at least) what he was talking about all along. 

It's just tabloids, trying to stir up controversy where I'm willing to bet none exists.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheerluck said:

Yeah, if it's in the Times, it's most likely legit.  So, not tosh, exactly, but perhaps . . pot-stirring.  Especially given the tone that FreeBatch have become enemies over this and are no longer speaking (civilly)--just throwing shade at one another in the press.  Friends can have . . . disagreements, and still be friends.  Let's hope that this is just a case of two fellows who really like and respect one another just being a bit too candid on this topic on their respective days.  Martin Freeman is always candid, and uses many expletives to underscore his honesty.  Ben has a bit of a history with conveying (seemingly) shade-throwing comments about former co-stars in sound bites (cf. some choice comments he made about Jonny Lee Miller's motivations for signing on to Elementary back in 2012).  But we don't have the benefit of hearing the actual tone when it was said--Print media take that out of the equation.  Ben seems to enjoy the fan attention and even court it, and his co-star has a different take on it.  It may be a case of work-related fatigue speaking, too, such as when Dan Craig famously said he'd rather kill himself than do Bond again.  And yet, look who's doing Bond again.  Perhaps MF was just caught on an off day.

Martin is a volatile personality & he might answer the same question differently on a different day.  I hope FreeBatch will kiss and make up (figuratively speaking) . . if you ask me, I think BC is not entirely talking about sucking up to the fans when he says 'getting a grip on your reality'.  I smell subtext that goes deeper than MF's thoughts about more Sherlock.  Of the two, I would have thought BC would be more defensive/hurt about negative reactions to their shared program . . . as the eponymous star, he's more associated with it, and it made his (household) name.  MF's been around the pitch a few more times and had already achieved a modicum of success on a hit TV series.  So I'd have expected his reaction to fan pressure to be a bit more  . . modulated.  As in . ."I don't really give a (expletive), I'm just in it to have an (expletive) good time and I hope we can reconvene the gang sometime before the next decade is out!" 

I don’t class this as ‘news’ but it’s ‘news’ to me. Did everyone (apart from me) know that Louise Brealey auditioned for the part of Rose Tyler in Dr Who?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I don’t class this as ‘news’ but it’s ‘news’ to me. Did everyone (apart from me) know that Louise Brearley auditioned for the part of Rose Tyler in Dr Who?

Nope.  I'm just finding it out!  Not a Who-watcher so I can only wish I knew who Rose Tyler is.  I saw Billie Piper's seasons and then shoved off.

Hi Hikari, 

‘I posted something on here a few months ago but I can’t find it. It was a list of actors that had turned down famous roles. There were some real surprises....for me at leat.🙂

I’ve found some actors/actresses and the films/roles they turned down.

Molly Ringwald - Pretty Woman

Mel Gibson - Gladiator

Tom Hanks - Jerry Maguire

Tom Cruise - Footloose

John Travolta - Forrest Gump

Michelle Pfeifer - Silence Of The Lambs

Jack Nicholson - The Godfather (Michael Corleone.)

Will Smith - Matrix

Leonardo De Caprio - Boogie Nights

Mark Wahlberg - Brokeback Mountain

Michael Keaton - Groundhog Day

Bill Murray - Forrest Gump

Christian Bale - James Bond

Michelle Pfeifer - Pretty Woman/Basic Instinct

Al Pacino - Han Solo

Ian McKellen - Dumbledore

Tom Sellick - Indiana Jones

Harrison Ford - Jurassic Park (Sam Neill’s Role)

Sean Connery - Gandalf

Warren Beatty - Kill Bill

Nicholas Cage - The Wrestler

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I’ve found some actors/actresses and the films/roles they turned down.

Molly Ringwald - Pretty Woman

Mel Gibson - Gladiator

Tom Hanks - Jerry Maguire

Tom Cruise - Footloose

John Travolta - Forrest Gump

Michelle Pfeifer - Silence Of The Lambs

Jack Nicholson - The Godfather (Michael Corleone.)

Will Smith - Matrix

Leonardo De Caprio - Boogie Nights

Mark Wahlberg - Brokeback Mountain

Michael Keaton - Groundhog Day

Bill Murray - Forrest Gump

Christian Bale - James Bond

Michelle Pfeifer - Pretty Woman/Basic Instinct

Al Pacino - Han Solo

Ian McKellen - Dumbledore

Tom Sellick - Indiana Jones

Harrison Ford - Jurassic Park (Sam Neill’s Role)

Sean Connery - Gandalf

Warren Beatty - Kill Bill

Nicholas Cage - The Wrestler

It seems nearly every known actress in Hollywood of the appropriate age turned down Pretty Woman.  Thank God Molly Ringwald didn't accept it, that's all I can say.  I believe Michelle Pfieffer and Jodie Foster also turned it down.  Jodie had already portrayed a child prostitute in Taxi Driver.  Turns out that established actresses did not want to taint their careers by portraying a streetwalker, and so the role went to the virtually unknown Julia Roberts, who'd only done two small films prior.

Tom Selleck was *forced* by contractual obligations to Magnum, PI to turn down the role of Indy Jones.  I like Tom, but I would not have liked him as Indiana Jones.  For such a big strapping guy, his voice is too high.  I think we got our right Indy in the end.  Tom got his Indy-mojo on in 1983's 'High Road to China'.  And Sam Neill got his Indy on in Jurassic Park, because 'Alan Grant' is an Indy clone, pretty much.  Which is why Harrison turned it down, probably. 

Christian Bale was ever considered for Bond? Huh.  Chris can do a whole bunch of accents but I don't think any of them is right for 007.

• Like 2

Someone also turned down Dirty Harry I think but I can’t recall who it was. I think it might have been Sinatra.

John Lithgow auditioned for The Joker but Jack Nicholson got it.

Benicio Del Toro was in talks to play Khan but he walked away and BC stepped in.

Leonardo Di Caprio was thought to be odds on to play Alan Turing before BC got the role

14 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

John Lithgow auditioned for The Joker but Jack Nicholson got it.

Benicio Del Toro was in talks to play Khan but he walked away and BC stepped in.

Leonardo Di Caprio was thought to be odds on to play Alan Turing before BC got the role

Lithgow would have been great.  Perhaps less hammy.

I could see Benicio as Khan.  BC garnered himself tons of new worldwide fans as Khan.  Suitably intense, but probably too slightly-built to be 100% convincing as a Superman.  Benicio is a much bigger guy.

Leo as Alan Turing . . ?  Nope, do not see it.  Now there was a role that Ben was born to play.   Turing's own nieces said that BC became their Uncle Alan as they remembered him.

Leo has his niche but I don't think The Imitation Game would have worked with him in the lead.  I thought he'd suck as Jay Gatsby, but he really surprised me there.

• 2 weeks later...

I predict he'll  have to take a pay cut. Or get fewer roles.

Problem is, the way most scripts are written, the female roles tend to be secondary characters, or at least not THE lead.  So of course the female actors are paid less.  That means in order for BC's stance to make any real sense, there have to be better roles written for women.  This is of course happening, but quite frankly I hate to see anyone set out to write a Female Movie.  In general, it's got to be a slow, organic process in order for the productions to not look like a Women's Movie Studies term project.

It's a really nice gesture though.

It's only really relevant when you're a co-lead, with two male/female characters who have equal importance, and so far BC hasn't gotten many roles like that, but I hope he does.

I've read male actors in the past talk about all the reasons they deserve to get more (not gender related of course), so it's refreshing to hear someone try to level the playing field, even if it is idealistic.

I agree with what you say about the writing needing to change too Carol, but hopefully that day isn't as far off as it once was. I don't mind all/ mostly female casts myself but from a box office perspective something approaching 50-50 probably stands a better chance of success.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the Sherlockology info on the Game is Now.

http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2018/5/22/the-game-is-now-220518

It even has a twitter handle of @221b and the hashtag #thegameisnow.

• Thanks 1

I think I'll wait quietly on the sidelines until somebody tells us what this *thing* actually is. I smell an interactive game with filmed footage, which would presumably not interest me.

• Like 1