Carterofmars

Your Favorite of the Original Four Novels Poll

Your Favorite Holmes Novel  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the four original novels are your favorite?

• A Study in Scarlet
    • The Sign of the Four
    • The Hound of the Baskervilles
    • The Valley of Fear

Of the two I've read, I liked Hounds better, does that count? :smile:

• Like 1

Not really! Why, oh why, dear Arcadia, pick the one with the most obvious solution (even Mr Gatiss had to have a real dog in his script at the end!) over Mormons, Mafia-like gangs and a fabulous Indian treasure hunt? Just because it glows in the dark even in the original?

I just thought it was better written...... :goldfish:

• Like 1

Well, you are the artistic soul of the place, so, like a true Vernet descendant, you can indulge your flights of fancy! :smile:

I would personally go with:

Hound

Sign

Scarlet

Valley

The latter two books feature Holmes and Watson far too little to be considered.

It is a close run thing between Hound and The Sign of Four but the former has the more dramatic storyline. The fact that I have seen it televised so many times and yet still want to read it again speaks volumes.

(However, The Sign of Four was the best full length Jeremy Brett episode in my opinion.)

I remember as a kid I thought Hounds was the only Sherlock Holmes book; I assume because of the films that have been based on it. It wasn't until much later that I realized there was a whole body of work!

• Like 1

Mine is easily the first one.  The Sign of the Four is a close second.  Somehow I've never enjoyed the latter two so much, I don't know why.  More than anything in particular, they never stick in my mind.

True, Study in Scarlet does stick in my mind, if only for the weirdness of the alternate story line right in the middle of it. :)

I read A Study in Scarlet for the first time this year.   Though it does read a bit rough in spots, like a practice run for the Holmes and Watson to come later, and has the head-scratching Mormon portion smack dab in the middle, ruining the flow, if we consider just the 'contemporary' London portions, I feel like I want to put this one first in the line-up.  This is the book that started it all, and everything to come builds from here. 

I like the beginning portion of The Sign of Four, chez Baker Street . . once the case proper gets underway, it gets so far out there--so whoo whoo--that I lose interest. Weirdo red-headed twins in a Gothic horror house?  A one-legged man with a murderous pygmy henchman?  This is getting very far afield of deduction.  This is a freak show.  I do like Old Toby, though.  And Miss Morstan. 

Just reread Hound of the Baskervilles, which was my very first Holmes story back in middle school.  As a Holmes story, it's a bit of bait and switch, since Holmes hardly appears.  As a Dr. Watson story, it's crackerjack.  For once the Doctor gets to be the star of a story, even if he is acting on Holmes's orders.  The items strewn on the moor proposing to be 'proof' that Stapleton went into the mire and never came out again--the disappeared/presumed dead but no body is identical to the same stunt that ACD pulled in The Final Problem.  Once again, no witness is around to see the malefactor meet his doom, but a lot of assumptions are made.  I have to take off points for such a limp and anticlimactic ending to the tale of the Hound which has required so many pages in the telling. 

I started Valley of Fear with every good intention and enjoyed it for a few pages and then got to a point where I could go no further.  Don't want to.  So irregardless of its merits which I am unqualified to discuss, that one's dead last.

I go  SCARLET

HOUND

SIGN

FEAR

Both Holmes and Sir Arthur are not on their top form in the novels.  The short stories show them both to better advantage.

• Like 1

I’ll hedge a little

1st = Hound + Sign Of Four

2nd Study

3rd. Valley

It’s pretty close for me. As Hikari said, the shorter Holmes stories are better. No Holmes-free gaps. The Valley Of Fear And A Study In Scarlet both suffer badly for this (especially ‘Valley.’)

Even I lose interest in the middle part of Valley☹️

As an exercise it would be interesting to have someone re-write A Study In Scarlet and The Valley Of Fear, shortening the Holmes-free gaps, and so reducing them to nearer short story length. I’m sure that readers would like them more.

• Like 1

I actually found the Mormon part of Scarlet rather interesting ... it's just in the wrong novel. :smile:

• Like 1

I think I'd have to say (if I haven't already)

Hounds

Valley

Sign

Scarlet

I actually liked the middle part of Valley.  The non-Holmes/Watson parts of Sign and Scarlet seemed like just so much padding to me (i.e., could have been reduced to a few paragraphs without losing any relevant information), whereas I found that part of Valley interesting and suspenseful in its own right.  (So there, Arcadia!  :P )

• Like 1

It’s all subjective of course