Ok, it's just "Sherlokian" no "fan" included sorry about that. See is this works. http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

Yay! It works! You have to scroll down a little bit to find the montage and then click on it to be able to view the whole story line.

Doctors always seem to go for the wrist pulse. Lucky for Sherlock that John is a doctor!

Actually I believe in severe trauma cases the carotid (neck) pulse is the one that is most often checked due to the radial (wrist) pulse becoming faint or absent more quickly as the body shuts down in order to preserve core functions. (Anyone with medical knowledge should feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate. :) )

That makes sense -- I certainly find it far easier to find my own carotid pulse, as compared to wrist.

Thinking back to that scene in "Reichenbach," the people who had suddenly gathered around Sherlock were restraining John a great deal. At a normal accident scene, I'd interpret that as the professional emergency crew keeping the distraught friends from interfering with their work, but in this case, it's presumably part of the plan. I'd have to watch it again to be positive, but I'm quite willing to believe that the only part of Sherlock they were allowing John to touch was that one particular wrist.

Definitely easier than putting a tourniquet around his neck.

• Like 1

Anyone with medical knowledge should feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate

Not correcting inaccuracies, you're perfectly right.

The radial pulse is only palpable if the blood pressure is about 80 systolic which means that after the apparently severe trauma that Sherlock suffered, John wouldn't have automatically gone for the radial pulse as he'd expect it to be compromised.

As for Reichenbach theory, have some screencaps to demonstrate what I think happened specifically with regard to the pulse thing.

This man - pinstripe jacket, stethoscope round his neck, obviously supposed to make you think 'doctor' - was one of the first on the scene, before John even got near. pic

And what does he do? He keeps HIS fingers on Sherlock's carotid pulse, stopping John from even trying to palpate one. He also keeps Sherlock's left arm close to his body, so the only wrist available to John to check the pulse of is the right one, which just happens to be the side Sherlock is lying on. Co-incidence? I sincerely doubt it. pic

• Like 3

... the only wrist available to John to check the pulse of is the right one, which just happens to be the side Sherlock is lying on....

Aha! And lying that way would keep a nice steady pressure on any rubber balls that might happen to be wedged into that particular armpit. Cute.

I was just thinking that an awful lot of people were involved in helping him pull off his magic trick - and it seems a bit farfetched that at least some of the people who rushed out from the hospital to respond were NOT in on the plan. You could assure that the very first people would be your own people, but not the near immediate second wave. Confusion would be his friend at those moments though.

I just hope the explanation is as interesting or cleverer than the ones fans have come up with or I'm going to be so annoyed.

• Like 1

True. We can speculate with the best of them as we review the episode and take in what seems to be the visual clues as to exactly the "magic trick" was. But it will be up to Moffat and Gatiss to give us the final word when the "Empty House" episode is revealed.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to plug my thread, but it's honestly too long to repeat in this one. Please read my thread IOU in this section, and we can discuss it more here.

Essentially I think Moriarty purposely ignored Molly because she plays a significant role in Moriarty 's plan for sherlock

I'm with Brainy - I don't think Moriarty perceived Molly as important to Sherlock as he'd seen how she was treated.

Whether Sherlock's treatment of Molly was intentional or oblivious, we may never know for certain.

I don't think it was intentional, I'm quite sure he was just oblivious. That's his personality...he disdains and walks over everyone who doesn't put him in his place. Lestrade and John can take Sherlock's brilliance without being dazzled by it. Mrs. Hudson is also not a pushover. Molly is. Or at least, was...until she gave Sherlock a dressing down at Christmas. Then she finally sees him for who he truly is in the last episode- a troubled man who is putting on a face for others. When she confronts Sherlock about it, he finally realizes that she isn't the pushover he thought she was, and he can finally confide in her.

Moriarty wouldn't have thought much of Molly, either, given that he went on a few dates with her. He probably would have never suspected that Sherlock would have anything other than contempt for her based on the way he saw them interact with each other.

• Like 1

Molly is. Or at least, was...until she gave Sherlock a dressing down at Christmas. Then she finally sees him for who he truly is.....

I agree. But I think it was how he responded to her being vocal about how he hurt her. No one expected it, watch John's face as he responds. Sherlock is contrite. He realizes he has done something very much "a bit not good" and he is remorseful and towards her he is not afraid to show it up to and including kissing her. This shows that he has some kind of deep feeling for her or it never would have happened. Apologize, yes. But a physical, emotional response such as this was? Not so much.

In the last episode when she says that he had never seen her, he says he always did. He might have used her....but he also might have had some respect for her too. She was brainy in her own way. A pathologist. Someone who worked to help solve the kind of mysteries that he worked on....she is a scientist as he is.

I don't know if he had "deep feelings" for her before then. To me, it's obvious that he doesn't actually think about her, or her feelings, until Christmas. Everyone else knows who the present is for, except Sherlock, who thinks he's being clever by teasing her about it. When he does realize that he's hurt her feelings, he nearly runs away for a moment- but we've seen his emotional growth throughout these episodes, so he apologized instead. But it's not just Sherlock who grows...it's Molly, as well. Without her finally breaking through that barrier, not being so in awe of him that she couldn't fight back, I don't think Sherlock would have shown the trust in her that he does before the fall. He's trusted her with lab work and case work before- but this is his life, and the lives of his friends. I don't think he would have trusted her in that situation without the breakthrough in their relationship.

• Like 2

The problem a sociopath has is they do know what feelings are, but in many cases they can only feel them as a surface emotion, like a stone skimming the surface of a small pond that reaches the other shore and never sinking into the water, if you get my meaning. They know they should be feeling something, but they are unable to process exactly what. So yes, in many cases they do fake it. But as a spectrum asperger's he would be drawn to people who shared his own obsessions, which Molly did. He may not be able to it into words but it would be there on some level.

• Like 1

It's obviously a difference of opinion- I just don't think he had "deep feelings" for Molly in the first series at all. In the second series, we see their friendship grow. I just think that Sherlock didn't harbor deep down feelings for Molly throughout the series.

Really, a "sociopath" is another word for "psychopath", but with the idea that someone's antisocial behavior is caused by someone's environment, instead of being innate. This would fit Sherlock- if it were innate, he would be incapable of caring about anyone at all. Sociopaths can indeed feel real love and empathy, but usually only for certain people. It would make sense if his anti-social behavior were caused by environment factors growing up- he's a genius, and he was more than likely an outcast because of it. He probably stopped letting himself care about people because he was afraid of getting hurt, or because he saw it as a major disadvantage. John seems to have broken through that barrier that Sherlock built, but that's because he respects John. Sherlock doesn't care about people doesn't respect. Molly had to earn Sherlock's respect, too; even though he does respect her intelligence when it comes to work, I don't think he respected her feelings until the Christmas debacle- THAT'S when we see the big change in their relationship.

• Like 1

No one expected it, watch John's face as he responds.

As someone said on the "Scandal" thread, it's like "Who are you, and what have you done with Sherlock Holmes?"

Everyone else knows who the present is for, except Sherlock ...

That's possible, but I think they were mainly just appalled at the way Sherlock was ridiculing Molly.

When he does realize that he's hurt her feelings, he nearly runs away for a moment

I'd never thought of it quite that way. I had noticed him starting to turn away, but I was thinking that once he saw the present was for him, he knew enough to cease and desist, but it took him a moment to remember John's apology lessons. Running away is an interesting interpretation -- like he's embarrassed that he misinterpreted the situation, so he's protecting himself by leaving.

But it's not just Sherlock who grows...it's Molly, as well. Without her finally breaking through that barrier, not being so in awe of him that she couldn't fight back, I don't think Sherlock would have shown the trust in her that he does before the fall.

Another thing I hadn't thought of, but you're right -- that's the first time we see Molly stand up for herself. And after that, there's more of a real camaraderie between the two of them. Then when Molly noticed that he looked sad, and knew what it meant, that seemed to raise his appraisal of her another notch.

• Like 1

I think that for most people the first instinct when you have that very strong feeling that you have really put your foot into something is to leave as fast as humanly possible. But Sherlock has come along with John's help, no doubt and is able to stand up and face what he has done.

I think it was aely who said that a friend of hers pointed out it wasn't so much that Sherlock was acting badly to Molly on purpose as he was trying not to have a melt down. He was experiencing sensory overload and unfortunately Molly's arrival was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back and she bore the brunt of it. But he at least had the good grace to apologize as we have all stated.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I know it is insane to interpret a 26 sec teaser trailer clip, but I still find it noticeable that in it, Sherlock is shown "hovering" over not only the three people who were threatened by Moriarty's snipers and believe he is dead, but Mycroft and Molly as well. It gives the impression that they, too, are not aware of his presence. Did he manage to fool everybody, after all? If so, how? I really can't picture a series of events where Molly helps Sherlock to, as she thinks, really kill himself.

Or maybe he shows up at Molly's because he wants her to know that her efforts didn't go to waste and he has survived the last two years.

As for Mycroft, either he wasn't involved in the coverup or Sherlock is there for a debriefing. I know the teaser shows Molly, Mycroft and John....but I can't recall him showing himself to Lestrade in anyway. Okay, just watched the trailer and I guess that's Lestrade in the underground.

No, we just see Lestrade at work briefly, glancing behind him as if he's seen or heard something - maybe Sherlock, but could be anybody or anything.

There really is no conceivable way in which Sherlock could have fooled all five people, is there? Even the original Holmes had to let Mycroft in on his secret.

I wonder how the conversation between Sherlock and Molly went on after he told her he thought he was going to die and needed her. I wonder whether the writer actually had / has any idea for that. Why did he tell her he thought he was going to die and not "I need to disappear" or something like that? Well, of course the reason is that the viewer was supposed to believe until the very last moment that he really did kill himself, but still.

I don't think all of the audience was going to believe that Sherlock Holmes was going to die. I mean, 1) This is Sherlock Holmes, even his creator couldn't kill him off. As Sherlock told Dr. Franklin when the doctor said he could tell him but then he'd have to kill him, "That would be awfully ambitious of you."

2) I doubt any Sherlockian/Holmsian would be so fooled even though "The Reichenbach Fall" is heartwrenching to watch, even for me, even though I had no doubt he would survive somehow. It is so darn well acted.

3) it is a series after all.

4) I am sure that Molly is up to her cute little neck in helping Sherlock survive the fall. There is not a doubt in my mind that she is not in the dark about how Sherlock lived through that free fall.

• Like 2