Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

So, I've been resisting this, but I think we need a rant thread. So, yeah, rant ahead. Just remember, be polite about it. And try not to get the paintings on the wall when you shoot :)

• Like 2

So, yeah, my rant of the day? I watched the news. Big, big mistake, but I do quite often make it. What annoyed me today? The Church (any variation thereof) and their mania of using the pulpit to push their politics. As if they had never heard of the separation of State and Church. *big sigh*

Notice that whether or not I agree with their politics is irrelevant for this argument: what bothers me is that they use a place of faith to discuss politics. That is what bothers me.

I'm going to leave that rant there, cos I always end up unwittingly annoying/offending someone, and that's the last thing I want to do right now. Also, I think I need to get some sleep...

• Like 1

I have a short fuse, so I normally want to rant over most things one minute and change my mind the next. But I do have something that has been bothering for over an year and so i'll rant:

Crazy fangirls that take their pairing and their shipping way too far. I understand that you love a couple, I truly do. But no love for fictional characters gives you the right to disrespect and bully real people just because they don't agree with you!!

Example 1: I was in a fandom which had a canon gay couple: K and B. However, I and a good portion of fangirls didn't like B and therefore began to ship K with D. People that shipped KxB went mad, refused to read our reasons for shipping other pairings and said things like: "eww, if you like D with K that means you like bullies and sexual harassment and rape! You're disgusting, a bully and you should just shut up because you're horrible" This was all.the.time! God I dropped out of that fandom simply because I just can't being bullied every day over something like that.

Example 2: in another fandom (anyone know no.6?) two main male characters kiss chastely on the lips and drop everything and everyone to live together. Some fans thing that kissing does not mean romantic attachment and they are just close friends. Ok. So what do the fangirls do? Do they a) ignore them and smile at how canon their pairing is? B ) try to logic with them through peaceful discussion and solid arguments? NO! they choose C) call everyone homophobic and blind if they don't think the pairing is canon!

...these people make me embarassed to be a fangirl. Well, this fandom seems to be better, maybe I'll stick around for a while...*goes and reads the tweet about how some fangirls think Gatiss ships johnlock just because he's gay* Oh come on!!

Edited by Lirael
  • Like 1

Ah, fandom, how we love/hate thee! Yeah, that's one of my rants as well... Particularly the people that try to promote their favourite character/pairing/whatever by badmouthing everything/everybody else. I'm sure we can all think of examples of this.

But yeah, the lack of understanding that other people might or might not see the same subtext as one does when watching a show drives me mental. In this, like in a lot of things, you know, "whatever floats your boat, just don't expect me to like it as much as you do" is a perfectly good attitude :D

• Like 2

this isn't really a Sherlock style rant.

but i would just like to warn all fans NOT to buy an MP3 player Direct from the Creative website.

Creatives are good little players, but the company is ham handled and interaction with customers os like trying to get sense from Anderson

• Like 1

I avoid crowds and do my shopping about 2 am. It helps that the staff of the local 24 hour place know me and when they see me coming they open up a normal till - it saves a lot of hassle and verbal unpleasantness.

• Like 1

We do our shopping online. Saves a lot of money by removing the "ooooooh, we'll have that as well" moments, and saves having to deal with supermarkets at all :D

I'm never in when they want to deliver though - or if I am, I'm sleeping.

This may get edited out later.

But bah. I'm all in a tizzy about what to do with my severely lopsided bridal party. The bridal party has been a sore spot pretty much ever since I GOT engaged, I have quite a few girls on my side and my fiance just wants his brother as the best man. I need to go bridesmaid dress shopping soon, and now I'm basically quintupple-guessing whether I actually made the right choice to have the girls that I have, whether I should ask them to step down, whether I should ask one of them to be an MC, etc etc. People keep telling me to do what makes me happy, but for some reason I can't connect with my core and figure out what would actually make me happy about this issue. So this isn't an angry rant, but rather one born of emotional turmoil. Ugh.

• Like 1

Can I rant about Fandoms as well?

I belong to a Harry Potter forum and have liked several Harry Potter pages on facebook. Well, basically what their entertainment consists of is bashing Twilight.

It really, really grates me. I mean, I have no love for Twilight - I've read the books and decided that I didn't like them - but I don't care that other people think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Leave them be, why don't you?

I just hate that the Harry Potter fandom seems to validate their love for HP by continually bashing Twilight. GET OVER YOURSELVES!

Apart from that, I'm in agreement with John - Self service checkouts suck.

Edited by Sherlocked

Bashing, and the prepondernace of a certain type of 'fan', is what I didn't like about the main parts of Torchwood fandom. I was happy in the bit that I occupied, full of sane-crazy people, but the rest? I avoided it like the plague.

Now I admit that I do participate in a bit of Twilight bashing myself of a teading variety toward one friend - but I always have to admit that I've a) never read the books or B) never seen the films because they don't interest me and that even if I don't like the idea behind them they are perfectly entitled exist just as much as anything else is and I have to accept that.

What's the quote? "I may not agree with anything you say, but I will defend your right to be able to say it" or something like that.

• Like 1

Emotional flashbacks and resitual emotional scarring from being bullied SUCKS.

I wrote more, but I'll just leave it at, I hope that I live to see the day where bullying of ANY kind is tolerated just as kindly as racism on the playground. Because being bullied does not "build character," it just is not right.

Because being bullied does not "build character," it just is not right.

Ain't that the truth.

Can I just say something happy? I am one of the outsiders in school and I have the luck that I am accepted and not bullied in an extreme way. They think I'm weird because I like theatre and such stuff. I know they call me weird.

But tonight, tomorrow night and Thursday night I'm going to perform an epic song on beer bottles in the annual musicshow, organised by our school. I am SURE even the people in my class who call me weird will be blown away by our performance! ;)

Revenge!! muhahahahaa :)

• Like 1

Personal Rant of the Day:

I hate spring break! Why must we subject ourselves to an entire week of absolute boredom when we could be doing something worthwhile and enriching, like going to school? I think that the entire notion is absolute rubbish. I cannot even rehearse the Four Seasons with my violin choir because our conductor is out of town. And the concert is in a few days! And I have a recital a few days after that, but no lesson this week because my violin teacher is, in fact, said conductor! Out of town!

• Like 1

Why do fannish things have to be so expensive? I would dearly love to go to Peterborough for the Greatest Show in the Galaxy but there's no way I can justify/afford it.

• Like 2

Why do fannish things have to be so expensive? I would dearly love to go to Peterborough for the Greatest Show in the Galaxy but there's no way I can justify/afford it.

I agree! We are going, but I know the budget will hate me. I calculated the other day "how much money could I spend at that show if I got everything I wanted". The answer was waaaaaaaaaay above the max budget... Waaaaaaaay waaaaaay above

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII have no idea what I'm doing with my bridal party. Nothing makes sense. I'm over-thinking it and I know that I am, I know that I need to approach it with a clear head, but I can't seem to give myself permission to go for one measly day without thinking about it at all.

What are valid reasons to "demote" people from being in a wedding party? Is "I asked you too soon, and since then I've gone and stood in the church, stood at the alter and feel that I only can envision having my siblings and MAYBE my cousin up there" a valid reason? Is "The only people that make sense with crystal-perfect clarity and 0% doubt in my mind are my siblings, the other two bring about a tiny bit of apprehension at the thought of having them up there" a valid reason?

Bah. Brain, can you turn off my emotions for a bit so I can get this sorted, please?

• Like 1

What are valid reasons to "demote" people from being in a wedding party? Is "I asked you too soon, and since then I've gone and stood in the church, stood at the alter and feel that I only can envision having my siblings and MAYBE my cousin up there" a valid reason? Is "The only people that make sense with crystal-perfect clarity and 0% doubt in my mind are my siblings, the other two bring about a tiny bit of apprehension at the thought of having them up there" a valid reason?

It's your wedding party ;)

• Like 1

And when he does deign to go out to the supermarket what does he do instead of bringing back milk?

Throws himself off a bloody building thats what... :picard:

• Like 2