Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Is that mean to say clamps will hold in hair? I hope so...

Gee, they might.  Could you try it and let me know?

^ I tried it, and no they don't.  :P  Also, ow.

• Haha 2

This isn’t a “shoot the wall” kind of complaint, but I really wish I had the ability to magically transpose images in my head directly onto film.  I have some very cinematic dreams, and I always have all these ideas and imaginary scenarios bobbing around in my head that I would love to put in a tangible form.  It would take forever to write them down, and then there’s describing everything efficiently, and figuring out how to word all the nuanced expressions and gestures that an actor could instantly portray.  I suppose making a comic or manga would be the next best thing, but I can’t draw worth a darn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I really wish I had the ability to magically transpose images in my head directly onto film

Wouldn't that be great!  I used to work with a fellow who could just about do that. One day he was talking about someone in another department but I didn't recognize the name.  So he just whisked his pencil over a piece of paper and said You know -- that guy.  And I did!

I do wonder how my dreams would hold up under scrutiny, though.

OK, I have to rant because I am still angry about something that happened hours ago. 

I had the day off and we decided to take a little day trip to a nature reserve. I had been looking forward to this for ages because the area we live in is not very pretty, certainly not compared to where I grew up, and I really miss being outdoors in the woods. We had been there once before but lost our way and never found the place I particularly wanted to see, where the path gets really close to a river. 

So today we brought a map, the weather was just right and I was all excited. 

As we approached what was supposed to be a precious little island of peace and beauty, I heard noise - sounded like a sports field during a particularly intense game with particularly rowdy fans. We turned a corner and there was the river in all its glory, sparkling between the trees with rare wildflowers blooming among the grass. There was also a group of about 8 to 10 young men, half naked and clearly inebriated, blasting music from a boom box, shouting nonsense and throwing beer bottles and trash right left and center. 

I was very glad that I hadn't come alone because although of course they were off the trail, they were still very close to it on both sides and it was either walk right through the group or turn back. They shouted something I fortunately didn't understand but luckily didn't seem to find us interesting enough to pursue. 

I... I just can't. I looked forward to going there all week. Why do people do shit like that? Why?!? 

• Sad 2

Because they're nature lovers?  ;)

I assume it's because their parents won't let them do it at home and/or they figure if they're out in the middle of nowhere they won't bother anybody.  And I'm sure their neighbors appreciate the thoughtfulness.  *sigh*

Alex and I ran into a similar situation once, except that the gaggle of young folk stayed in the parking lot, sitting on their cars and blasting heavy-metal rock out of their boom boxes. By the time we got to the waterfall, we could scarcely hear them.

Oh, I wasn't talking about teenagers! Those guys looked to be in their 20s. 

What buggs me is that there are a ton of places around here perfectly suited for drinking, making noise and throwing trash. But nooooo, they had to go out of their way to find the one spot that has any claim to beauty and ruin it for everyone else. 

OK, overgrown teenagers, then!

Now you've got me wondering -- what sort of places do you think would be perfectly suited for such activities?  I will admit that my imagination isn't coming up with many suggestions.

Round here that sort of thing would most likely be on the beach. I still wouldn't like it though, groups of rowdy young men are always intimidating. 

Your story reminds me of last year, I walked to the top of a pretty tall hill which has fantastic views over the bay, it was a bit of a trek, the stunning views being a real pay off at the end. So there we stood, enjoying the peace, gazing out over the view, and some kid on a quad bike came erupting from the trees and decided to go tearing around completely wrecking the peace. Engines on those things are incredibly noisy. Scrambling bikes are another one that seem to appear from nowhere and wreck any sense of peace and enjoyment. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

What I hate are those personal watercraft that tear about too close to swimmers at the beach. They don't seem to pay any attention other than trying to show off. Karma, however, does rear it's head every once in a while and the operator ends up with a bloody nose after doing a face plant at high speed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jetskis?

Been off work on a mini holiday for 5 days, due to go back today and my car won’t start. Typical.

Or the updated version. :D

Was definitely tempted this morning. And now here I sit, working late to try to make up some of the time. *sigh*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

102 degrees yesterday, gadzooks.  And to think there was a massive blizzard only a month ago.  We went straight from winter to summer again.  I like spring. :( 

We don't have air conditioning. Not even where I work. We just sweat and complain. Welcome to Germany. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

How hot does it typically get there?

Depends on where you live. Up in our little corner, it's usually quite cool but right now the thermometer says 27 C which is about 80 F and it's half past nine in the evening. In May. I didn't check during the daytime because I was busy but it felt like mid-80s. 

Our measurements in this country are so messed up. We're still mid change over from imperial to metric, so some things I naturally use metric for and other things imperial. Ask me a large distance and I'll tell you in miles, ask me a short distance and I'll use metres or cm. Ask me to weigh something I'll use kg, ask me for my weight I'll use st and lb. :wacko: 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Our measurements in this country are so messed up. We're still mid change over from imperial to metric, so some things I naturally use metric for and other things imperial. Ask me a large distance and I'll tell you in miles, ask me a short distance and I'll use metres or cm. Ask me to weigh something I'll use kg, ask me for my weight I'll use st and lb. :wacko: 

Ask me my weight and you'll get a dirty look.

• Haha 4

Ha, me too, and if you comment unfavourably on said weight it'll be followed by a punch in the eye.