Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

I don't feel like I do anything. Get home, cook dinner, eat dinner, feed the menagerie and oh, it's bedtime. 

I know what you mean. Didn't evenings use to be longer?  I fondly remember going for walks after dinner.

Is panic-buying a thing in other countries? It's a big thing here and really pees me off. The second there's a report of bad weather all the supermarkets get bought out of bread and milk like people think they're not be able to get out for weeks and they'll starve. It's ridiculous. 

46 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Is panic-buying a thing in other countries? It's a big thing here and really pees me off. The second there's a report of bad weather all the supermarkets get bought out of bread and milk like people think they're not be able to get out for weeks and they'll starve. It's ridiculous. 

I think that happens everywhere. It's just human nature. And some of the older generations do remember times of actual shortages. 

Even when I was little, we always made sure to have enough food and water in the house to last us at least a week. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and my parents had been snowed in for 10 days the year before I was born. 

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I know what you mean. Didn't evenings use to be longer?  I fondly remember going for walks after dinner.

Last summer, you mean? :P 

On 2/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, T.o.b.y said:

That sounds very frustrating. What thread were you trying to post in? 

It was this thread, but it happened another time on another thread too.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:24 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

VBS, I've been having similar problems, or at least I think they might be similar.  Seems like tapping the Submit Reply button doesn't always actually submit the reply.  Sometimes all that happens is that the virtual keyboard goes away, and I need to tap the button again, or even several times, until the label on the button changes to Saving, and then my post shows up as an actual post (i.e., without the editor buttons).  I seem to be having this sort of problem far more now than with the old software.  But if I'm very careful to check that my post is really posted, the problem seems to be surmountable.

Dunno if that's what happened to you or not, though.

I notice the saving thing as well, so I made a point of pressing submit reply and wait until the saving is done. But one time the saving.. stop and the post was not there, so I pressed again and it resulted in double post.

This time however, I was pretty sure it was submitted. And the good thing about the new forum, it actually keeps your draft without asking. That's why I was quite sure mine is submitted (also saw it in the thread properly) because I no longer have the draft too even when I was still in the thread. Hopefully it's isolated thing because I have started to like the new forum.

8 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Yes, I believe so. And maybe I'm one of them. But mostly because the threats are more imminent. Nature disaster, and once, epidemic. I even had special backpack one time, with my important document, change of clothes, money and little bit of food for me and my dog. Made a point to have my petrol always full too.

Beside that, of course, groceries, emergency contact and keep my battery full. But then again, I'm more on paranoid side.

Maybe it's just that we don't get anything that extreme here - though we currently have two 'risk for life' warnings across the country. I just don't get the running out to buy food - I've got a tiny freezer, but I've got frozen food, dried food, tinned food... it's never going to be so bad that I run out. But then maybe it's because I'm able-bodied and fine to walk to shops if I need to, if I was old or unable to walk distances perhaps I'd be more likely to stockpile. Probably be more likely to stockpile if I had kids too. 

6 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Maybe it's just that we don't get anything that extreme here - though we currently have two 'risk for life' warnings across the country. I just don't get the running out to buy food - I've got a tiny freezer, but I've got frozen food, dried food, tinned food... it's never going to be so bad that I run out. But then maybe it's because I'm able-bodied and fine to walk to shops if I need to, if I was old or unable to walk distances perhaps I'd be more likely to stockpile. Probably be more likely to stockpile if I had kids too. 

Around here, I think it's not so much that people are afraid they themselves will run out of something -- they're afraid the stores will run out -- because everyone else is afraid that the stores will run out -- so everyone buys a little extra just in case -- so sometimes the stores DO run out -- which makes it a valid concern, oddly enough.

They do here too, especially with bread and milk. But that's why the panicking annoys me, because if less people panicked there wouldn't be any reason to panic. 

• Like 1

I don't get why bread and milk is in such high demand in those situations. Both spoil quickly, especially if there should be a power outage and no refrigeration. Surely dry and canned food makes more sense? And bottled water? 

This is how extreme the bread grabbing is. Makes me wonder what's wrong with those ones at the bottom. 

DXSo2NoX4AA8P2q.jpg

Awwww. Didn't you adopt some of them?

Not my photo, I wouldn't have been heartless enough to leave them behind. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 3:37 PM, T.o.b.y said:

I don't get why bread and milk is in such high demand in those situations. Both spoil quickly, especially if there should be a power outage and no refrigeration. Surely dry and canned food makes more sense? And bottled water? 

On 3/1/2018 at 3:40 PM, Pseudonym said:

You'd think so. But nope, it's always bread and milk. 

According to my brother, around here it's typically bread and milk AND bottled water.  Hope that makes you feel better. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bread and milk is not practical for stock up, but I suppose it could last awhile. Maybe they worry that the food circulation and manufacturer would be affected and fresh perishable would be the one they would miss the most?

For me, I stock up tins, packaged noodles, frozen food etc that would last longer than my will to not to go out and explore.

I've been having this absent-minded situation.

So normally, when my dog is around, together with making food for him, I'd cook myself proper breakfast because I love breakfast!

Since he is now in custody of his original home/friend because I need to travel, I don't cook for myself and survive with a cup of instant cereal for breakfast that I'd make in office. However, more often than not, after making and set it down, I get on my work and forget about it until noon and see that it has become the habitat of ants. And just now, same thing happen, and to add it all, I drop my earphone in that damn cereal. Argh..!

• Sad 1

A load of people ended up without power and water in our last storm - bet they were rethinking their bread and milk decision. 

Eurgh, being forced to gnaw on hard noodles wouldn't be cool. 

I hate peanut butter. But it is great as an emergency food because it doesn't spoil easily and is very nutritious and calorically dense. 

The first (and only) time I went to America, about fifteen years ago, I was thrilled so many chocolate bars had peanut butter in them, we didn't have peanut butter in hardly anything here. I'm glad to report that we do now. :D 

• Like 1