When You Go Out...

aely

That is awesome. I've never been able to get that trick to work. Nor the twirling stick one either. I would die if I were left in the wild. :smile:

I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife that my brother gave me; I loved that thing. But it was confiscated when I went to pick someone up at the airport right after 9/11. :cry: So now I only carry things I don't value, or absolutely have to have. It's a pain, because that thing was handy more than once. It had a corkscrew and a bottle opener! :d

I always try to go out with the fewer things as possible: cellphone, wallet, keys. But it always ends with me carrying aroud an enourmous Mary Popping's bag . :wacko:

I fell more confortable if I have with me painkillers for my headaches, a book if I have to spend some time waiting somewhere and my wallet is full of every card I have, from the cinema card, to the library card.

I know, if I lose my wallet it will be a very big big problem but I have more chances to lose my cards at home, with my brother and my parents that are capable making everything disappear magically. :mellow:

• Like 1

Oh, me too. As long as my wallet's in my purse, it's fine ... if it gets out for any reason, though, it can go missing for days! The house elves keep moving it around.... :p

• Like 1

I haven't had a wallet since I was pick-pocketed in London, many years ago.  They took my wallet that time, and I just never bothered replacing it.  My paper money is simply stacked and folded in quarters, my coins are in a little coin purse, and my cards are in a zippered compartment.  I've never really missed the wallet, other than wishing they hadn't taken my $2 bill.

Added:  I need to mention that my everyday purse is small -- in fact, I've seen larger wallets.  I do have a bigger purse, but use that only for travel (so I have room for guide books, etc.).

• Like 1

But we've had a magnifying glass and some sunshine. It took a while but we've made a fire and were proud like Tom Hanks' character in Castaway.

firecamp.gif

Nice.

I made bonfires up to half the size of TEH but always with easy fire source. Never tried making fire manually yet.

I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife that my brother gave me; I loved that thing. But it was confiscated when I went to pick someone up at the airport right after 9/11. :cry: So now I only carry things I don't value, or absolutely have to have. It's a pain, because that thing was handy more than once. It had a corkscrew and a bottle opener! :d

Hey buddy!

I carry Swiss knife around, it is my keychain, love it. Then one day I was caught in airport as well, but mine has happy ending. I remembered the knife only when I had to go through the security scan and they asked me to give it up. It was a lady officer. I was sulking a bit, I love that knife and it was a special gift, so I actually tried to ask her if she could keep it for me, and I'd get it a couple of days later after I came back. She agreed, gave me her number and even met me outside airport just to pass me my knife because she was not in duty when I flew back. :angel1: That is very very nice of her. I still have the knife around but never forget to change the keychain anymore whenever I travel.

Regarding the question, beside the necessity wallet, key, handphone+powerbank+cable (life is much simpler back then), now I always carry a tiny bottle of mosquito repellent. Mosquitoes love me the most and sometimes I end up with places full of them. Oh mints, hair ties and safety pins. I almost always tie my hair because I'm murderous when my tie breaks. Other than that I am pretty good to go anywhere.

Oh and, tiny bottle of spray disinfectant when my OCD kicks. Back then when I stayed in unsafe place, I carried pepper spray and something like brass knuckles or wooden stick (small baseball sized) wrapped in paper but not anymore. (I would like to buy another brass knuckle though) XD

• Like 1

Wallet (men's tri-fold), keys, sunglasses, phone, regular glasses are on my face from waking to bed time with some exceptions (I don't do contacts). I do own 2 purses and currently don't know where they are. Makeup is only with if I'm dressed up then only what's needed for a touch up (lipstick). My backpack works kind of like a purse day-to-day if I'm bringing my computer with.

In work days:

My celphone and my tablet, so I can get stuff done in my (one hour and a half long) comute!

In my holidays:

My boxer! I often leave as much as I can leave behind, no keys, no wallet, no celphone! Much more relaxing ;)

• Like 1

No clothes when you commute? ;) I know, that's a given. :smile: That's how I'd do it too, if I had to commute (thank goodness I don't.) Bare minimum!

• 1 year later...

Several people on this thread have mentioned Swiss Army knives, so maybe someone can help me out:

Many years ago, I bought a Swiss Army knife, a genuine Victorinox (not some cheap knock-off) with quite a few blades and whatnot.  Problem is, I can hardly get the blades to open out, the hinges are so stiff.  I've tried everything I could think of, oiling the hinges and leaving all the blades opened up for a really long time.  Not much difference.  So I've never really been able to use it.

Any ideas?

Alas, my Swiss Army knife was confiscated by TSA. :( But I have similar tools in my art box, and the only thing that's ever worked for me is to just use them. That is, open and close repeatedly until they loosen up. Never thought of oiling the hinges.... Do you have a decent hardware store in your area? They might be able to help.

I think there's still a nice big Ace fairly near my Mom's place.  Trouble at this point is, I have no idea where the knife is -- somewhere in the attic, I suppose.  Next time I come across it, I might try some WD-40 on the hinges.

So was yours really stiff at first too?  How did you get it opened up?

I never had problem with my knife. 

However, I remember buying a knock-off back then and that one was problematic.

WD-40 is what I would suggest too, you spray on the hinges and move them around. It works wonder for many 'misbehaved' things of mine, I worship that stuff and always wonder why they only needed 40 tries to invent that.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Arcadia: it's a matter of frequent use. My own swiss army knife is very hard to open as well whereas my father's, same model, is smooth as butter. He uses it almost every day while I don't get mine out more than once a month or so. 

• Like 1