Welcome to Sherlock Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which gives you limited access, you will need to create an account in order to reply to topics and create topics of your own.
Signing up is quick, easy and FREE, just click on the "Create Account" button to begin. You will need a valid email address in order to sign up, but this will only be used to send you notifications the receipt of which you can customise at any time.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Louise Brealey on stage in The Trojan Women

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 4,468 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favorite series 1 episode:A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Posted Image

It’s October. It’s dusk. It’s the second week of rehearsals for The Trojan Women, a modern version of Euripides’ tragedy in which I’m greedily playing three different roles: Cassandra, the maddened seer (a teenager in red-and-white striped long-johns); Andromache, trophy widow of the city’s most decorated soldier; and Helen of Troy, “the face that launched a thousand dicks”.

I’m standing in a dirty office in the old BBC training building on Marylebone High Street. There are dirty blue carpets on the floor and dirty great fluorescent tubes on the ceiling. There are six other people here. They’re all dressed; I’m in a bath towel that I’m about to let fall to the floor. Nobody knows yet, but I’m not wearing any knickers.

There's more, a lot more, about how it feels to be stark-naked on a very small stage, only a few feet from the audience, and what kind of mental contortions it takes to work oneself up to that point. It's touching and it's hilarious. Read the rest here.

-- Carol

#2 Bakerstreet Irregular

Bakerstreet Irregular

Consulting Detective

• 2,676 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Hounds Of Baskerville
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

She really is pretty. I saw one interview with her, she looked like she had just got out of bed after fighting a bout of flu. But I can see her as Helen of Troy. Clothes or no clothes.
"Once you rule out the impossible, whatever remains-how ever improbable-must be true."

---FOX

#3 Carol the Dabbler

Carol the Dabbler

Consulting Detective

• 4,468 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Reichenbach Fall
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Empty Hearse

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes, I think it's a matter of attitude. (Also, consider that Homer's "world" was just a sparsely-populated Mediterranean, and that Helen -- if there was such a person -- was likely covered with smallpox scars.) But Louise Brealey has a delicate beauty that Molly camouflages with her awkwardness.

-- Carol

#4 Bakerstreet Irregular

Bakerstreet Irregular

Consulting Detective

• 2,676 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode:The Hounds Of Baskerville
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode:The Sign of Three

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yup, Molly is supposed to be shy and retiring more adept at dealing with the dead not the living and her makeup, hair style and clothing are to reflect this. She's almost an exact opposite of the brash and full of attitude of Abby on NCIS.
"Once you rule out the impossible, whatever remains-how ever improbable-must be true."

---FOX