All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Carol the Dabbler

General Tolkien Discussion (books, movies & TV)

Is there a "History of The Hobbit"? (I already own the annotated edition and the first-edition facsimile, though I haven't yet read either to any extent.) I see that somebody named Rateliff has written some books with that main title, one of which appears to have been co-authored by C. Tolkien -- so are those the "official" histories of The Hobbit?
  3. Today
  4. Fantasy Lover

Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Funny, I had the following conversation with a stranger twice a few years ago: Stranger: "Do you have children?" Me: " I'm a bit too young for that." Stranger: "How old are you?" Me: "I'm twenty-two." Stranger: That doesn't mean anything, I know someone who had a kid at that age. Me internally: just because I have a womb and teenage pregnancy is a thing doesn't mean everyone develops a maternal a instinct by the age of 16.
  5. Oh, aren't those lovely? My mom never did that to me, but a few "friends" did. Sheesh.
  6. Yeah, the way it's set up is confusing. If I understand correctly, there's 12 volumes altogether, but they have different subtitles … so the volumes covering the LOTR text is, logically, called the History of LOTR. But I read some (all?) of the ones that came before that, too, which covers a lot of the material in the Silmarillion … can't remember the subtitle for those. And then I think each individual volume has it's own title, relating to whatever chapters it's covering. The most interesting one -- and to be honest, it might be in a different publication, such as The Annotated Hobbit -- is the one covering the original version of the end of Gollum's riddle game, and the subsequent changes to the text caused when Tolkien decided to make the ring into "The Ring." That, I really enjoyed. As to the rest of them … it's more like doing research than simple pleasure reading. So if you like that sort of thing … seeing into the creative process, following the evolution of ideas … you might get something out of them. Some of it's pretty repetitive. The most interesting bit to me was the above-mentioned evolution of Trotter, and I believe that's the only volume I actually own. The rest, I checked out of the library. What Christopher Tolkien did was assemble his dad's rough drafts, in as near to chronological order as he could make them, added some commentary in the gaps between passages, and that's the books. So if you enjoy reading three slightly different versions of how Gandalf met Radagast, or six different versions of Gimli's name, then you might enjoy the History. I found a lot of it dull going, but fascinating nonetheless. I really missed Middle Earth at that point in my life. I'm afraid I can't link to the specific book regarding Trotter right now, because I don't have the book with me (I'm on "vacation") and I can't remember the title. I just know it's part of the "History of LOTR" group, which is something like six or seven volumes (?) It's been awhile since I read them, and I'm not even sure they were all published at the time. The description of the last couple of volumes doesn't sound familiar to me. Hope that helps.
  7. Artemis

GIF Your Mood

8. Had an hour-long lecture from my mother this weekend about how I need to have a baby before it's too late, because it would give my life purpose. So that was fun.
  9. Carol the Dabbler

I see several books (or sets of books) on Amazon with similar titles, though at least some of them seem to be different books (or sets). Could you A} Link to the one you're talking about; and B} Tell us what you think of it? Thanks!
  10. Arcadia

What song is stuck in your head?

Doorway by Civil Twilight. Don't know why, haven't heard it for weeks, but it's stuck but good.
  11. It's also in The History of Middle-Earth, most of which, believe it or not, I have read. Yes, I am just that much of a Tolkien geek.
  12. Yesterday
  13. Carol the Dabbler

I just came across Trotter's page on Tolkien Gateway. I had been wondering why any hobbit would wear shoes, wooden or otherwise, but according to this page, even though he appeared to be wearing wooden shoes, he actually "had wooden feet after being tortured in Mordor." So they were apparently prosthetics rather than footwear. And anyone who wants to know more about the gradual evolution of Aragorn's character can find it in this blog.
  14. Last week
  15. Pseudonym

GIF Your Mood

Next doors stupid screaming spawn are ruining my Sunday.
  16. J.P.

Cast & Crew Birthday Greetings!

And this is actually quite impressive https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Whithospital
  17. Artemis

What's your age?

It’s nice to be talking with a diverse group of individuals and not feel the age gaps too often. Especially these days, with people dividing themselves with generational labels more and more.
  18. Artemis

Recently watched movies

I wonder when they’ll finally stop (i.e. when people will be sick enough of it to stop paying). In a hundred years is there gonna be “Toy Story 22”?
  19. Douglas

What's your age?

Aw; that's very nice!! But I still can't believe that there are people in the world who are older than me!!😄
  20. Sherlock The Otter

Cast & Crew Birthday Greetings!

Happy 43rd birthday to Benedict Cumberbatch! ❤️ He seriously deserves the world, and he has carried so many people, including myself, through the good times and helped us through the bad. He inspires me to be the best, most hardworking person I can be, to be positive, and to never give up. I believe that he is, and will be forever, a role model to me because he is the most charming, humble, talented, funny and kind person ever and his pure goodness has sparked a love for him and his acting roles all around the world from so many people, and his acting is truly phenomenal, all his roles are absolutely stunning, and they all deserve all the awards possible due to his dedication and passion for his work. I really hope he having the best day with whoever he’s spending it with.
  21. Carol the Dabbler

Recently watched movies

That's OK -- a lot of television is turning into movies.
  22. Arcadia

Recently watched movies

Although Toy Story is the remake that's getting fabulous reviews. Wait … it's not a remake, is it? It's a sequel. Never mind. (But we have too many of those, too. Movies are turning into television.)
  23. Carol the Dabbler

What's your age?

Indeed! Counting the forum's entire life to date (beginning in 2012), our members have ranged in age from pre-teens to early 90's, and (according to the votes above) we currently range at least from 20's to 70's. I think it makes for some interesting discussions.
  24. Caya

What's your age?

Congratulations! And not on this board, you're not.
  25. Douglas

What's your age?

Having recently turned 58: I'm old!!
  26. Douglas

Your favorite (male) actors

EDWARD WOODWARD (English Actor) (1930 to 2009); and GORDON JACKSON (Scottish Actor) (1923 to 1990). In particular: EDWARD WOODWARD as DAVID CALLAN in CALLAN (1967 to 1972); and GORDON JACKSON as GEORGE COWLEY in THE PROFESSIONALS (1977 to 1981).
  27. Artemis

Recently watched movies

Oh yeah, I was going to say something about Toy Story 4. I haven’t seen it, and probably won’t unless I catch it on TV someday when I’m bored. But I think they made a mistake by using the same characters. Toy Story 3 really wrapped up the series nicely, and it shouldn’t have been added to. It ruins what was a great, emotional ending. If they really wanted to make another Toy Story, it should have featured an entirely new set of characters.
  28. Artemis

Recently watched movies

I feel that way too, but for me I think it depends on what is meant by “remake”. I really like different takes on old stories. “Ever After”, “Snow White and the Huntsman”, and the TV show “Once Upon a Time”, for example, were interesting to me in that way. I would put “Maleficent” in that category, and maybe even the 2015 “Cinderella”. Robin Hood and Sherlock Holmes have been adapted many times, but I wouldn’t call them all remakes of each other. The problem with Disney remakes like “Beauty and the Beast”, “Aladdin”, and probably “The Lion King”, is that they’re not different takes on a traditional tale; the animated versions were that. The remakes are “updated” versions of their own original take. They follow the same route, with the same lines, but it’s only done halfway. So it’s more of the same, and yet it’s not the same enough to feel like a faithful rendering. They’re in this weird limbo between strange and familiar, which is just sort of unpleasant to watch, and usually disappointing. Book adaptions can be guilty of the same thing, but at least there it makes more sense, because they have to cut and change things to fit the story into a certain timeframe. But with movie remakes, they don’t need to do that as much, because the movie already exists. They’re just “remaking” it. So if they change something you were excited to see, there seems to be no sense to it, and you’re just kind of left wondering, “Why did they change that perfectly good scene?” If they want to make an adaption, then they should just make an adaption and make it different. If they want to do a remake, then it should be virtually the same. Go one way or the other, don’t do a weird mesh of the two. Anyway, I think I’ve ranted on this subject enough, lol. Boo on remakes.
  29. Carol the Dabbler

Recently watched movies

I don't hate remakes on principle, but it does seem to me that they rarely live up to the original, so I rarely bother to see them, As to why they rarely live up to the original, that's my own opinion, of course. But if I really loved the original, then the remake (which will of course differ in some respects) is likely to disappoint me simply because it's different. If I didn't like the original, I'm not likely to even see the remake. This may explain why they don't often do remakes of duds -- people would expect the remake to be a dud as well, so it'd be tough getting anyone to see it. Of course if it really was better, then word of mouth would eventually increase the audiences -- if it was still in the theaters by then -- but studios don't like to take risks. Which I guess is why they do so many remakes of popular films.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.