-
Posts
6,282 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
198
Van Buren Supernova last won the day on September 27
Van Buren Supernova had the most liked content!
About Van Buren Supernova

Retained
- Pantless in Buckingham Palace
Profile Information
-
Gender
Not Telling
-
Favorite series 1 episode
The Great Game
-
Favourite Series 2 Episode
A Scandal In Belgravia
-
Favourite Series 3 Episode
His Last Vow
-
Favourite series 4 episode
The Final Problem
Recent Profile Visitors
Van Buren Supernova's Achievements
Consulting Detective (8/8)
7.8k
Reputation
-
Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)
Van Buren Supernova replied to Banshee's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
Do you have floaters? It’s something you see in your eyes, it’s quite common as we age. I started to see one a few weeks ago. It’s unsettling, but I read that it’s harmless as long as there are no accompanying symptom. Sometimes I’m not aware, sometimes it sticks out like a sore thumb. -
The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Caya's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
He is a small/medium size. Long body, short leg. He stays in the front yard of the neighbor. Before they got him, they let our two neighborhood strays dogs inside as and when they feel like it. (the dogs even have beds). They still feed these strays daily, but I notice they are not going inside the fence anymore. I’m dealing with visa problem and have to go back and forth currently. There are probably four houses, including mine (of ten) who help to feed these strays. However, none of them seems to have knowledge about dog training or medication. The strays have skin problems regularly, but they clear up after I medicate them. When I have been away for a while, I always come back to them having their skin issues back. So, it’s one of my concern for Archie. If he stays outside often, he might get skin issue. I’m being judgmental but I hope the owner becomes more knowledgeable now. We did have a conversation back then about the medication for the strays and I had shared what I know. While Archie is playful, he is not destructive as far as I know. He digs my pitiful yard, that’s all. Other than that he mostly chills, plays ball with me. He loves smelling the messy plants, and the neighbor’s yard looks fine to me. I think it’s a training and boundary problem. It will get worse if she can’t get it together, especially because I think Archie is not neutered yet. She indeed always tries to get him inside, to call him, and expresses her worries about Archie’s new habit: chasing cars and motorcycles. We are secluded in a dead end path, but there are still light traffic, and when Archie is outside, he ventures to the bigger neighborhood road. This is very dangerous because of the possibility of him getting hit or harmed by unhappy humans. I definitely have seen him outside at night/early in the morning. I walk my dog around at night and we go to the beach early in the morning. Archie never fails to come and asks for treats that’s why I know how often he is outside (at least 50%). Here are the photos of him. He always spends time with me while I’m outside and has to be enticed to get out of my fence. My mom joked that he tries to adopt us. Here he is all wet after he stuck his head inside my water bucket (that is how he drinks!) Found a tiny ball (maybe belong to cats, my small yard is a free zoo for neighbors' pets) -
The Language (and travel) Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Carol the Dabbler's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
Tbh, I have no idea who they are. The things we talk about with a straight face here! -
That is true. The ink also looks blue to me so it doesn't feel 'right.'
-
Nope, it doesn’t help if you can read Chinese. I don’t know what it says. Perhaps it’s something like ‘you must have been dropped as a baby.’ Update: it means White Hell. That is actually the name of the puzzle. I believe the black version is called Black Hell. Yes, the pieces are alike, almost identical. I have done a few 1000pcs micro puzzle (the end product size is 38×26cm/15×10inches, while normal 1000pc puzzle is 70×50cm/20×27inches), and I have done a micro 200pc blank puzzle like this. It was around Covid and there was a time when I had to take care of hubby in the hospital, but the main reason was: I was nuts. Anyway, I have been wanting to do this but the first time I had it (yes, I bought it twice), I didn’t have a dedicated space. I got it at a sale and ended up giving it away to a distant relative who also likes puzzle (didn’t know at first). She just said thank you and I’m sure she won’t get in touch with me again. Then there was another sale, and here I am. And now I have a small portable table so my excuses are running out. It was surprisingly fun when I did the 200pc. I needed to lay out everything and squinted at every edge. You see my concept of fun is the proof I’m very fun at parties. I didn’t even know where I put the end result of that. It was a piece of white, very underwhelming. I hope to finish this before 2027 in a few months next two years before I die. This is the photo of my dog Locky and another micro 1000pc puzzle with an printed image.
-
The Language (and travel) Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Carol the Dabbler's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
I watched a lot of true crime. There was more than one case when murders were solved because the killers were using the wrong tenses to describe the victim. For example, they were using the past tense when the victims were still considered ‘missing.’ I am wondering, ‘What about us who botch the language often and use the wrong tense in interrogation? Is the suspect a loner, obsessed with a murderous show, has a research history of questionable murder methods, and, GASP, USES THE WRONG TENSES? -
-
I don't know, you have to ask Barry
-
The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Caya's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
That means they are even smarter! I believe so. My dog has 87 nicknames and he knows them all. On topic, here is my neighbor's dog, Archie. Archie thinks my hose water is the best, he has exorbitant treat tax rate for me, and he tries to sneak in whenever he can. Nowadays I have to help the neighbor 'catch' him because he always tries to escape her while let me grab him. I have no idea why she let him roam outside. It's dangerous even when we have a pet-friendly neighborhood. -
I don’t owe this book, this is not my picture, but I have checked, this is a real book! Tell me, how did the author do their research? Did they have to get peer review? How do readers check the accuracy? Should anyone get to the bottom of it? How do we crack the case? Why is this so cheeky? Should we get behind this book???? Or should we laugh our asses off????? (Arcadia would kill me if she read this!)
-
The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Caya's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
'Mine' is call Cowy in local language here. My parents call him cowy in our mother-tongue. He is white with brown spots. His real name? O'Neil! We are lucky to know his real name. Most stray dogs here have at least five names, since people like me just name them until we learn the actual name (if they have any). The magic is, they are so smart they respond accordingly. Some only respond to the names I gave them even after I call them by their actual names. -
Kudos for Barry. I checked and it is based on Odyssey, including the cyclop, which is represented by one-eye salesman.
-
The Language (and travel) Thread
Van Buren Supernova replied to Carol the Dabbler's topic in Miscellaneous Musings
Dragonball is a classic anime series. I didn’t watch it myself, but as far as I know, characters collect the balls and then wish for something. This is probably a over simplification. Anyway, the villain is on the verge of getting it done and about to wish something bad, something along the line of taking over the world, and one of the protagonists has to interrupt it by wishing something else. His quick thinking is ‘underwear.’ Yes, he wishes for underwear after all the efforts of uniting the balls. It saves the world. So, this is my tale about how I know that pantsu means underwear. I don't think I have a cooler tale to tell. -
I believe I had posted this here before, and gah, it stressed me out so I had deleted it. When I came across it again, I posted it on Twitter, and the reactions were not disappointing. It had been reposted in many other languages. I can’t imagine what reaction did the original poster get a long time ago. Anyway! This reaction is a gem, and I have to post it here! I can imagine our Moriarty doing this!
.jpg.e24dbe8a0c548ab9e378bc396ae750de.jpg)