Jump to content

Godolphin

Detectives
  • Posts

    56
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Godolphin

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  • Location
    New York
  • Interests
    Meine Kinder, mein Mann, und meine Katzen. Der Musik. Und Sherlock, naturlich.
  • Favorite series 1 episode
    A Study In Pink
  • Favourite Series 2 Episode
    A Scandal In Belgravia
  • Favourite Series 3 Episode
    The Sign of Three

Godolphin's Achievements

Detective Inspector

Detective Inspector (4/8)

96

Reputation

  1. With respect, I disagree. He thinks romance is an annoying distraction, but Sherlock is far too intelligent to harbor outdated views that women themselves are distractions. He'd be fully aware of all of the cognitive research that has proven that women's brains are not inherently inferior to men's, and that effective education can all but eliminate any alleged inborn differences. Put simply, Sherlock is not one to make lazy assumptions, particularly not lazy assumptions based on outdated Victorian "science." Adhering to an erroneous view of all women as distractions would be, in its own way, a form of sentiment, which he recognizes is a weakness. Well, that's a good take on it too. I was careful not to say that Sherlock found women inferior, however; I don't think he does. He just seems to think of them as off limits because they will interfere with his work. And a lot of modern men still have trouble seeing women as "just people" -- they still see gender first, and are simply more comfortable around other men. It doesn't necessarily mean bias, and it's certainly not exclusive to men. But it IS a little old-fashioned, no? His attitude is really rather gentlemanly ... which is also rather old-fashioned! Hey Arcadia, There is indeed something old-fashioned about Sherlock -- particularly how he dresses. I can't imagine seeing him in trackies! Or spandex! It just wouldn't be Sherlock. But what I also enjoy about the latest iteration of Sherlock is how artfully it's been updated. No cobblestone streets and hansom cabs, but the Tube and the Gherkin. A cell-phone addicted Sherlock who knows where a good Chinese restaurant or fish & chips place are. I think it's rubbed off nicely on Sherlock's character, too. He's true to the ACD original, but has been polished up a bit so he fits in the 21st century. I'm really biting my lip here about the gentlemanly bit....okay....I'll concede that he has his gallant moments...but he's also an arse (and has described himself in like terms). :D Cheers!
  2. With respect, I disagree. He thinks romance is an annoying distraction, but Sherlock is far too intelligent to harbor outdated views that women themselves are distractions. He'd be fully aware of all of the cognitive research that has proven that women's brains are not inherently inferior to men's, and that effective education can all but eliminate any alleged inborn differences. Put simply, Sherlock is not one to make lazy assumptions, particularly not lazy assumptions based on outdated Victorian "science." Adhering to an erroneous view of all women as distractions would be, in its own way, a form of sentiment, which he recognizes is a weakness.
  3. Yep, that's it. Apparently, I got hold of an erroneous transcript -- so good on you for solving it! Your turn, SherlockedCAMPer.
  4. For SherlockedCAMPer: Two Ns. For Inge l-w: One T. _ O _ / _ _ N / _ _ E _ _ O _ _ / _ E _ O _ N I _ E / _ E _ / _ _ O _ / N O T / _ E _ / _ _ _ E ?
  5. Yes, there is an I. _ O _ / _ _ _ / _ _ E _ _ O _ _ / _ E _ O _ _ I _ E / _ E _ / _ _ O _ / _ O _ / _ E _ / _ _ _ E ?
  6. The market dipped slightly, closing at 5 Os.... _ O _ / _ _ _ / _ _ E _ _ O _ _ / _ E _ O _ _ _ _ E / _ E _ / _ _ O _ / _ O _ / _ E _ / _ _ _ E ?
  7. Yes, indeed! A plethora of Es -- 6 in all. _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ E _ _ _ _ _ / _ E _ _ _ _ _ _ E / _ E _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ E _ / _ _ _ E ?
  8. Thank you, SherlockedCAMPer! Here goes: _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ ?
  9. May I venture a guess? Good morning, everyone.
  10. I will make you brownies if you turn this into a fan fic. Tausend dank! Thank you!! I love brownies, and it is tempting, but I am afraid I am on the patch. I spent several years writing Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fiction, and then had kids and had no more time for it. But perhaps I could offer it as a challenge to those who do write fic?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.