What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

There's a new series in the works called Project Blue Book that might be interesting, doesn't seem to be much info on it yet. 

So, here's one of my guilty little secrets, I love watching UFO/alien documentaries. Not saying I believe it all, 'Ancient Aliens' in particular makes some shockingly tenuous claims, but nonetheless I find UFOs fascinating, and some documentaries are incredibly convincing. There is a documentary on Netflix (and probably elsewhere if you hunt) called Unacknowledged which is absolutely fascinating (and depressing), and features a lot of very credible people. Anyway... I digress. Project Blue Book was a real-life X-Files started by the US Air Force in the '50s. So I imagine the series would be a kind of retro version of the X-Files, which could be a fun watch. 

Ah ha, turns out there's a trailer. It's due to go out on the History Channel. Which annoyingly I don't have. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6632666/videoplayer/vi2445785881?ref_=tt_ov_vi

• Thanks 1

Interesting, because Project Blue Book ended by concluding UFO's were all terrestrial phenomena. Not that anyone believed them. :smile: 

Looks like the new show is skeptical of the Air Force's objectivity.  :rolleyes:

For those who have seen the movie Close Encounters, the real Dr. Hynek has a brief cameo as one of the scientists watching the mother ship land (he's the one with the pipe).

• Thanks 1

Dr Hynek used to pop up in loads of documentaries, funny he's in Close Encounters though. :D

Have you seen all those USAF UFO videos that were released recently with footage from fighter jets?

• Thanks 1

Not hugely detailed but interesting since their confirmed unknown. The camera operator guy's reaction in the second one if pretty funny. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea what I was supposed to be seeing there (will have a better look next time I'm on a laptop).  But yeah, the plane crew's reactions were pretty cool!

All I saw was a dot.

This doesn't really belong in this thread, but that last video linked to this one, and it's hilarious. Although I bet we'd be surprised (or not) at how many of these signs are actually in response to a real incident....

Yea it is just a dot really, its only the 'this is real and we can't debunk it' official recognition that makes it that interesting. 

Ah yea, those signs, I always wonder what idiot provoked them. 

The 'drowning happens once in a life time' one reminds me... have you guys come across The Swim Reaper? It's a water safety campaign from NZ, but pretty amusing. 

The Swim Reaper
Just lovin life. lol. Nah, jokes. Lookin to reap some peeps this summer. If ur gonna make dumb decisions in the water, I’ll be waiting. Holla!

https://www.instagram.com/iamtheswimreaper/

'Reap some peeps' LOL

Geez. I knew there was a reason I don't like being in the water.

I suspect that a lot of those signs would actually be helpful in the dark, or in fog, or with snow on the ground.  And some (like Closed until Opening Time) are probably intended to be somewhat humorous.  And some (like the out of order ones) are simply standard routine.  But I would love to know the stories behind some of the others!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, Pseudonym said:

I'm okay now I've 'tuned my ear' in. Did you understand what the kid said right on the beginning the 'why was he wearing a dress?' because i couldn't make head or tails of that. 

To my memory that's all he said, "why was he wearing a dress?" and something about the victim being cut to pieces. (Ew.)

I've now watched the entire first episode, and have to say so far I'm underwhelmed … it tries too hard. The doctor is a paragon of tolerance, the police captain is wholly corrupt, the girl is heroically liberated, etc etc. Some of the character actions were horror movie dumb. And towards the end there I thought I was watching ASIP again, even the camera angles were the same. I'll give it another go, though, because I liked the cast and the way they used music to heighten the menace in some scenes. 

Oh, and ended up turning on the captions too, not because of accents, but because there was so much whispering. Most of the accents seemed vaguely British to me.

That's what I mean, he doesn't say much but that particular line I must have listened to about ten times and couldn't figure out what the hell he was saying. I saw some people online moaning about the pronunciation of words beginning with 'wh', mainly that people were pronouncing the 'h' but can't say I found that overly noticeable or irritating. 

I read a review that said a similar thing about it being unoriginal, according to that site it's based on a book that was original when it came out, but since then it's been done on TV so many times that it immediately makes the adaptation pretty samey. I know what you mean though, I think I'll watch another episode or two but I can't say I was particularly interested... and them being so blase about child prostitution is pretty grim. I get at the time it might not have been a big deal, with having a murdered kid casually referred to as a 'boy whore' made me cringe a bit.

In a similar vein, period wise, I see The Limehouse Golem has just become available on Netflix - that seems to have the same feel but I think it as supposed to be good... have you seen that?

A while ago I watched a documentary on crime scene cleaners - what a horrible program and a vile, vile man. I thought it would be interesting but the main guy's attitude was so gross I got less than a quarter of a way through the first episode. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I saw some people online moaning about the pronunciation of words beginning with 'wh', mainly that people were pronouncing the 'h' but can't say I found that overly noticeable or irritating. 

In a great many American dialects (including the way we talk around here), the "h" in "wh" words *is* pronounced -- the "wh" is pronounced as "hw."

There are other areas that drop the "h," including, I think, a good bit of the east coast, possibly including Boston -- but even so, perhaps not back then.  I'm guessing that the complainers are from one of those areas, and don't realize that not everyone drops the "h" sound.

By the way, even in the "wh" areas, the 'w" pronunciation is sometimes used in order to make a pun.

What, where, when, why, who …. just trying them out. The first four I pronounce "wh" (or maybe just "w"?) and the last I pronounce "hoo." Doesn't everybody? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

In a similar vein, period wise, I see The Limehouse Golem has just become available on Netflix - that seems to have the same feel but I think it as supposed to be good... have you seen that?

Generally speaking, if I can't see it for free (or for my monthly cable fee), I don't see it. And I'm tempted to unhook from cable too; for the amount of money we pay, there's precious little to watch. Most of what we end up watching is available over the airwaves … free. (Sort of. I'm sure we pay for it somehow. :smile: )

On the 'wh' debate, Family Guy is the obvious example. 😃 And what accents those (The Alienist) are I still don't know but I wouldn't say American. 

• Haha 1