What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

I watched “Good Omens” on Amazon Prime, the adaption of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s collaborative novel (which I’ve not read).

It was... different.  Not even sure what to say really, lol.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, Artemis said:

I watched “Good Omens” on Amazon Prime, the adaption of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s collaborative novel (which I’ve not read).

It was... different.  Not even sure what to say really, lol.

I love the book, but the adaptation left me flat. Michael Sheen was brilliant though.

Crowley and Aziraphale's friendship is what I liked best about it.  A lot of the rest felt like stuff I just had to get through to see the good parts, lol.  Some of it was clever, and some of it was just plain weird... nonsensical, even.  But I feel the same about "American Gods" (which I also have not read), so maybe that's just Neil Gaiman's style.  (Speaking of, did you guys notice the air base guard reading "American Gods"?  Ha.)

I think I would prefer to watch a spin-off series about Crowley and Azi's intrigues throughout history.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this, it looks like everyone watches loads of things!

I’m the complete opposite haha, I watch mainly just Sherlock (I’m on my 11th run through whoops) and doctor who!

I recently finished watching Good Omens which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

x

10 minutes ago, Sherlock The Otter said:

I watch mainly just Sherlock (I’m on my 11th run through whoops) and doctor who!

Well, there's lots of Doctor Who -- do you watch both the classic and the current episodes?

And 11 viewings of Sherlock is perfectly normal!  Do you mean 11 times through all of the episodes, in the past couple of years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Carol, only eleven run-throughs is pretty average for hard-core fans, although I tend to give TRF, HLV and TFP a wide berth, skipping and fast forwarding. It’s cheating, but I still want to watch part of them, all the good bits. 

Other than that, being a hard-core fan of Granada Holmes, I regularly watch JBs version of Rebecca and An Ideal Husband. Then, there’s A whole lot of Rumpole of the Bailey, written by a self-confessed SH fan, Arsene Lupin with Georges Descrieres, Maigret with Michael Gambon and Bruno Cremer, Cadfael and I, Claudius with Derek Jacobi, the entire Batman and Star Trek sagas, both original and sequels. One is literally spoilt for choice!

Just for the sake of solidarity -- I don't watch much either, Otter! Right now I'm on my nth rerun of Babylon 5, that's about it. And that's only because it's on one of the few TV stations I can get; if I have to obtain something on DVD or the internet, I just don't bother. 😞 Possibly because I don't really enjoy watching stuff on a computer screen.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I don't watch much either, Otter! Right now I'm on my nth rerun of Babylon 5, that's about it. And that's only because it's on one of the few TV stations I can get....

Oh -- are we counting only broadcast / cable / satellite programming?  In that case, I don't watch much of anything nowadays.  We had been watching a few shows on Cozi (AKA the rerun channel), but we have all of them on DVD anyhow, and once we stopped to think that all those commercials are replacing several minutes of the actual episode, we started watching them on DVD instead.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

...if I have to obtain something on DVD or the internet, I just don't bother. 😞 Possibly because I don't really enjoy watching stuff on a computer screen. 

Me neither, unless it's just a brief video or else something I'm really eager to see.  But we have a DVD player, so we can watch on our regular TV.  With our new setup, we can even watch YouTube videos on our television -- we rarely do, but it's kinda neat to have that option.

• Like 1

YouTube is OK until the copyright owners pull the plug on popular uploads. The BBC and ITV are particularly stringent in enforcing their rights. DVDs or Blu-ray for me. You can freeze it, get up off the sofa or armchair, do other stuff and then unfreeze it and continue watching. 

Broadcast is the only option I have at the moment, because it's free. Well, and free stuff on the internet, or DVDs, but again, small computer screen … my DVD player isn't compatible with my TV, at the moment.  Eventually I'll get a modern TV though, then we'll see.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... my DVD player isn't compatible with my TV, at the moment.  Eventually I'll get a modern TV though....

I had no idea that DVD players were not compatible with all television sets (at least all that are sold in the US).  Did you use to have a different TV (or a different DVD player), such that they were compatible at one time?  And when you say you'll get a modern TV -- are you currently using an analog set with a converter box?

I don’t know how many times I’ve watched through “Sherlock”, lol.  Not in the last year though.

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Possibly because I don't really enjoy watching stuff on a computer screen.

Me neither.  Neither my eyes nor my computer handle it very well.  I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, but I can watch all of them and more (e.g. YouTube) on my TV.  There are lots of ways to do that (Apple TV, Roku, Xfinity, cables that hook up to your computer, etc.), but I bought a Smart TV, which makes it simple and is not much more expensive than a regular TV anymore.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well, there's lots of Doctor Who -- do you watch both the classic and the current episodes?

And 11 viewings of Sherlock is perfectly normal!  Do you mean 11 times through all of the episodes, in the past couple of years?

Yes I watch both, but I mainly watch the current episodes. 

I mean 11 times through all the episodes in the past couple of... months haha 😬 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sherlock The Otter said:

I mean 11 times through all the episodes in the past couple of... months haha 😬

Sounds like us right after Series 2!  Except there were only six (seven counting the pilot) episodes then.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I had no idea that DVD players were not compatible with all television sets (at least all that are sold in the US).  Did you use to have a different TV (or a different DVD player), such that they were compatible at one time?  And when you say you'll get a modern TV -- are you currently using an analog set with a converter box?

Yes to both questions. At present, the only DVD player I have is for my computer, hence USB cable, hence no TV connection. Long story.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Husband and I finally got around to watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime. What a delightful little series! Moftiss, take note (and given that Mark Gatiss had a tiny role in one episode, he at least should) - *that* is how you treat two guys who are the most important person in each other's lives. Just show their devotion (and the actors did a marvellous job of it) and let the viewer sort it out on their own. :smile:

Also, best soundtrack ever. :lol: 

• Like 3

I think some would argue that's exactly what Moftiss did. :D But I know what you mean. One of these days I must make time to binge watch some of these things you bunch keep going on about!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, no, that's not how Moftiss did it, though they came closer in the first series. Admittedly, though, it's easier with Good Omens because the two guys in question aren't even guys, strictly speaking, and therefore the question of whether they even have any sexuality as commonly understood is open to interpretation. But that's exactly the point, that "open to interpretation" bit. Nobody in Good Omens, say, ever indignantly states that they're not gay, or gay for that matter. They are clearly shown to care a lot for each other, and just what that means is left for the viewer to decide.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, J.P. said:

Anyone watching Chernobyl?

Finished in one sitting, while being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I have no self control.

It's terrifying, harrowing, and captivating. It's scary and makes me mad. It haunts me for a good while.

But as usual, some inaccuracies bother me and affect my judgement and enjoyment of the series. It would be alright if they are minor, but some are not. Tbh it's pulling down the value of the series quite significantly although I'd still say it's a good series.

VBS was eaten alive by mosquitos? How sad. Who are you, then?

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

VBS was eaten alive by mosquitos? How sad.

:cry:

We'd better have a funeral, then.  Shall we serve cake in her honor?

Good idea, but we'd better set aside a piece for her ghost or she'll haunt us the rest of our lives. I mean, really, who wants to be haunted by the ghost of a non-existent supernova? 

• Confused 1

Cake????? Cake!!

How many times I need to die before I get a full cake????

On 8/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, Arcadia said:

I mean, really, who wants to be haunted by the ghost of a non-existent supernova? 

You have to admit you will always have that grand entrance, I will also help you sparkle up your lawn if you leave enough cake crumbles.

• Thanks 1