What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

7 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I haven't attempted a spoiler box recently, but I'm in no mood to fight the software either.

I love my laptop. :P 

48 minutes ago, Artemis said:

*Ed. note: I put it in a spoiler box for you, Artemis. But if that means you or anyone else has trouble reading it, let me know and I'll unspoiler it again. -- Arcadia

I can’t read anything inside a spoiler box.  :bemused: 

13 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I can’t read anything inside a spoiler box.  :bemused:

I can open the box, but then the contents are white-on-white.  On my laptop I can easily highlight the text and then read it.  That also works on my tablet and my phone, but only grudgingly -- it takes me a number of tries.  Does yours ever work, Arty?

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Can't think I've ever seen any attempt to explain that -- or his aversion to garlic, for that matter.

Really?  I've seen a number of explanations for both those things, religious and non-religious.

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

So what explanation did they give for Dracula's fear of the cross?

Spoiler

Basically, Dracula's relatives were warlords who died in battle, while he did not.  He is deeply ashamed of this fact, and thus over time has come to be repulsed by symbols of death (especially that of a sacrificial nature), including the cross, which remind him of his cowardice.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Does yours ever work, Arty?

I can highlight on my desktop, but I'm usually on my iPad, and highlighting in the spoiler box doesn't work on either my iPad or my phone for some reason.

1 minute ago, Artemis said:

highlighting in the spoiler box doesn't work on either my iPad or my phone

I assume you know how it's supposed to work -- press on one of the words you want to highlight (good luck finding it!!!) until it grows handles, then drag on a handle to enlarge the area.  Did that use to work on your pad and/or phone?

Yep, I do indeed know how.  I shall refer you to my earlier post for an example of what it looks like.  :smile: 

It used to work just fine before the software update.  And it still works on the rest of the forum.  Just not inside a spoiler or quote box.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Artemis said:

it still works on the rest of the forum.  Just not inside a spoiler or quote box.

Weird.  Truly weird!

What sort of phone do you have?

I have an iPhone 5s.

But!  It's not just an Apple thing, 'cause it doesn't work on my dad's Android tablet either.

15 minutes ago, Artemis said:

it doesn't work on my dad's Android tablet either.

What browser does that use?

Considering that you're having the same problem on three different devices, we need to consider the liveware factor:  Is there anything unusual that you routinely do on your three mobile devices?  (Strictly as an example of "doing something unusual," I recently discovered that zooming my display larger or smaller has some odd side effects on the forum software.)

If you do happen to think of anything, please let me know.  Meanwhile I'll bring this to Tim's attention.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

And it still works on the rest of the forum.  Just not inside a spoiler or quote box.

Just checking to be sure:  You're having the same problem (as shown in your prior screen cap) with quote boxes on your mobile devices?  That is, the quote box shows up plain white with no visible text inside; highlighting changes the background color inside the box but doesn't reveal any text?

Just now, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just checking to be sure:  You're having the same problem (as shown in your prior screen cap) with quote boxes on your mobile devices -- highlighting works but doesn't reveal any text?

Yes, but only occasionally.  Spoiler boxes never work, but quote boxes are hit-or-miss.

• Thanks 1

I jury-rigged your spoiler boxes (by changing the letter colour). Can't do more, alas, but Tim will. :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caya said:

I jury-rigged your spoiler boxes (by changing the letter colour). Can't do more, alas, but Tim will. :smile: 

Thanks, Martina. Yes, hopefully he can.

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Artemis said:

"After all this time,"

Well it's all based on the concept of "oral download" (which I loved btw). Dracula had her inside his mind as all the people he fed on, with the difference that he saw her as someone interesting, full of knowledge and an adequate adversary. It's not so much sexual, but very intimate relationship. Their chess play reminded me very much of the confrontation between Sherlock and The Cabbie. Then, he saw Zoe as an incarnation of Agatha, because of her bloodline (actually it makes no sense because Agatha didn't have any children, but erm… okay) , but also because he "downloaded" Zoe with Dracula's blood. And he didn't sacrificed his life for her, he used her to kill himself and end her suffering. (BTW, did you notice A to Z in their names?)

I do agree with the other arguments, they concentrated on Lucy while there were so many deliciously interesting themes to explore. And Lucy was a very shallow and unconvincing character. I think it was a nod to canon, but she was the weakest part of the whole show.

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

Well it's all based on the concept of "oral download" (which I loved btw).

I liked it too.  :smile:  But I’m still not sure how that explains “After all this time,”.  He was asleep for 123 years, so in total, as far as I can tell, he only knew Agatha + Zoe for a few months in 1897 and then another few months in 2020.  It’s not as though they had a 123-year-long relationship.  Or am I missing something?  Or were you making a different point?

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

(actually it makes no sense because Agatha didn't have any children, but erm… okay)

I think she said Agatha was her great-great-aunt, or something like that.  Oddly, sometimes people can be the spitting image of distant relations like that.

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

And he didn't sacrificed his life for her, he used her to kill himself and end her suffering.

Hmm, I guess that’s sort of but not quite how I interpreted it.  If it wasn’t a sacrifice on his part at all then their final exchange loses all meaning for me.  :bemused:  I heard the last line as a resolve to spare her from suffering even in spite of it resulting in what he feared most, his probable death.  If he wasn’t giving anything up for her, then I don’t really see the point of the last line and I’m not even almost moved by it anymore, lol.  And if he really wanted to die that much, then I have the same complaint as before, which is I don’t think it’s realistic that he turned so suddenly from living in a deep-seated fear of death so profound that he’d commit atrocities for centuries to avoid it, to accepting and desiring it.  Fear doesn’t disappear that easily.

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

(BTW, did you notice A to Z in their names?)

I did, but I didn’t know it was purposeful.  Does that have something to do with canon?

Their physical relationship wasn't long, but he had her whole life in his mind, all her experiences from her childhood. This is not long in physical sense, but still a lifetime. At least I see it that way.
A-Z don't know if it was even purposeful, but it's still like beginning and end. I don't remember anything regarding it from canon, but there are several hints to other shows, even to Inside Nr 9, which is a show running by the other guys from The League of Gentlemen. So who knows?

Now that I think about it, I've noticed some white on white boxes from time to time, but I'm not sure it's been consistent as to what kind or how often. Let me do some sleuthing.

Thanks for the edit, Caya! :tulip:

16 hours ago, J.P. said:

Their physical relationship wasn't long, but he had her whole life in his mind, all her experiences from her childhood. This is not long in physical sense, but still a lifetime. At least I see it that way.

Hmmm, I suppose I will have to take that as their intended meaning, 'cause I can't make sense of it otherwise.  It just strikes me as a bit strangely-worded, if that was their intent.  For one thing, I'm not quite convinced that a 40-year lifespan (or however old Agatha was when she died) would seem like a long time to an immortal.  I would think his concept of time would be different than the average person's.  But mainly, I was interpreting the memory download a bit more like "The Matrix", when Trinity downloads "How to pilot a helicopter" into her memory in about 3 seconds.  Or like, if I read a book that takes place over 20 years, all in one night, and then said "After all this time...", it would sound a little weird.  I may feel very connected to the characters after that, but on my end it wasn't that much time, it was just a lot of information.  I have 20 years' worth of their memories in my memory, but not the feeling of having spent 20 years with them.  (Maybe in one of the episodes he did say he has that feeling, and I just missed it?)  If his line had been something about how well he knows her as opposed to how long he's known her, I'd have understood it better.  As it is, I have to make a mental leap to get to what they were trying to say, and I don't like that, lol.

I can't recall if he explained this anywhere, but how much of her life experience does he actually "download"?  None of us remember every instant of our lives, so does he only download the memories that she possesses, or does he download everything, including experiences not in her memory?