What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

That's a really detailed question. :D. It's seem to be knowledge and memory he inherited from the people he bit (and it was the reason for him collecting certain people on the ship). But if it was purely chemical (which still would be true with sniffing things from blood, as he did) he would have download everything. Maybe he can filter useful things from the background noise, who knows? He had ages to learn.

I just heard that season 4 of "Fargo" will be airing this April.  Still deciding whether I'll watch it or not.  It's been 3 years since season 3.

Heck, I never even finished the first season.

I remember I thought the movie was terrific the first time I saw it. The second time, I felt a bit sick. I guess it's the kind of thing you have to be in just the right mood for....

"Sanditon" on PBS.  It's based on Jane Austen's unfinished novel of the same name.  It has all the markings of a typical Jane Austen novel: aloof but handsome men with good hearts; creepy, sexist clergymen; dastardly, scheming, money-grubbing rakes; grumpy, unmarried, outrageously rich old ladies who want their nephews to marry women of fortune; annoying hypochondriacs who talk only of the weather and their "poor nerves"; a creative, educated, witty, but underappreciated and less-moneyed heroine; town gossip; and fancy balls where characters have furtive arguments and revealing conversations while dancing.

But then there are uncharacteristically explicit elements, like a Crimson Peakian brother/sister who seem to be probably sleeping together, and secret handjobs in the park.  :blink:

The cinematography can be a bit jarring as well, rank with uncomfortably close facial close-ups.

But this is the first time "Sanditon" has been adapted for television and I'm interested in seeing where it goes, so I'll keep watching as it airs.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Artemis said:

... there are uncharacteristically explicit elements, like a Crimson Peakian brother/sister who seem to be probably sleeping together, and secret handjobs in the park.

Do you have any idea whether those elements are directly and literally from what Austen wrote -- or are they "interpretations" -- or perhaps merely bits of gratuitously added spice?

1 minute ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do you have any idea whether those elements are directly and literally from what Austen wrote -- or are they "interpretations" -- or perhaps merely bits of gratuitously added spice?

I was wondering that myself.  I have no idea.  They've been adding bits of director and actor commentary at the end of episodes, but so far they haven't addressed this.

• Thanks 1

Hang onto your hat, Artemis, apparently it gets, uh, stronger.....

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hang onto your hat, Artemis, apparently it gets, uh, stronger.....

Oh dear.  What have you heard?

I haven't seen it myself but I read a couple reviews about it. You sure you want me to spoil it for you?

Spoiler

There's graphic sex, apparently. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don’t mind spoilers; and certain things I’d actually prefer to know ahead of time.  When I’m able to get on my computer so I can read what’s in that spoiler box, I will.  :P  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

After reading it myself, I assume that Ms. Austen is turning in her grave.

Gotta agree, not sure she'd be very appreciative of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Binge-watched a Netflix original sci-fi called "Another Life".  Produced by and starring Katee Sachoff (Kara Thrace/Starbuck) from "Battlestar Galactica".  It got terrible reviews, but I don't think those people gave it a real chance, or else had expectations too high.  I quite liked it, except for episode 8, which was awkward and a complete waste of time.  It's been renewed for a second season.

Unless something changes, I can tell you that "Sanditon" (mentioned above) is not worth watching.  It ends on a bad note.  Apparently, there was a second season planned, but the show's been dropped due to low viewership.  It might be brought back out of pure audience outrage, but until then, don't waste your time on an unhappy ending and unresolved character arcs.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I believe there were mentions about Altered Carbon here before? Is it recommended?

I've been liking first three episodes, I like the concept, the idea of the world, it's certainly unique.

But, but! Not liking

that they like to enforce unnecessary nudity, it feels like the creators cast attractive people to purposely make them strip as often as they want to

and

god dang it, they ruin it so early by making the main character do it, I don't buy the relationship progression, and as mentioned before, I really hate it when a show feels like the characters need to bang. Also find the female character very unlikeable

Too bad, I've been liking the Kovac (he has good voice!) and Poe character a lot and the story progression, but this kind of putting me at a stop if  I really want to continue.

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I believe there were mentions about Altered Carbon here before? Is it recommended?

I've seen high ratings for it, but I personally was not a fan.  I gave it a couple episodes but just... didn't enjoy watching it.  I like the concept more than the show.

6 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But, but! Not liking

Ditto to that.

• Thanks 1

So it seems that we are stuck at exactly same place. Haiz... I thought you would come to my rescue and tell me that I have nothing to worry about in those things I didn't enjoy and it will get better, because I really like the first there eps..

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

So it seems that we are stuck at exactly same place. Haiz... I thought you would come to my rescue and tell me that I have nothing to worry about in those things I didn't enjoy and it will get better, because I really like the first there eps..

Sorry to disappoint, lol.  It could get better, but I honestly doubt it.

I finished season 2 of Netflix's "Lost in Space" last weekend.

Boo.

I wanted to like it, I really did.  But the robots' (still unresolved) storyline bothered me, every episode was a "rush to rescue" episode, and the Robinsons themselves were neither as intelligent nor as morally admirable as I would have liked or expected.  It could have been good, but in the end, there just wasn't much to like.

I did like JJ Feild's appearance as the morally ambivalent Ben Adler.  But I have a soft spot for characters who seem good at heart but took a terrible turn somewhere and then redeem themselves in the end; especially when they are played by soft-spoken British men, lol.  And objectively speaking, his acting ability was a level up from most of the rest, which set him apart in a way that made the others seem a little bit amateur, which may not have been as glaring without him.  Whether that's a positive or negative, I don't know.

Spoiler

But then he died, so... blah.

I hope this doesn't actually put anyone else off from giving it a try.  You might be less exacting than I and enjoy it just fine.

My husband watches Altered Carbon (there's been a new season apparently) so I caught a bit of it and, well, I've asked him if he could finish watching it while I was away from the TV, and I very rarely do that (I may or may not snark about his beloved Monstrous-Animal-Of-Some-Kind-Eats-Everybody movies, however :P ). Kinda liked Poe, though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

I finished season 2 of Netflix's "Lost in Space" last weekend.

Boo.

Wait a minute -- are you saying that somebody has actually remade Lost in Space?  Wasn't the original bad enough?

8 hours ago, Caya said:

My husband watches Altered Carbon (there's been a new season apparently) so I caught a bit of it and, well, I've asked him if he could finish watching it while I was away from the TV, and I very rarely do that....

Since Alex retired three months ago, he has been watching an entire movie every morning, in addition to our regular episode of Star Trek in the evening.  Watching more than an hour or so of TV per day makes me feel really blah, so I do other things (such as writing) in the morning, and it's hard for me to think in the middle of a shoot-em-up.  So he's being kind enough to spend his mornings in the guest room.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2020 at 2:52 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I've been liking first three episodes, I like the concept, the idea of the world, it's certainly unique.

But, but! Not liking

Seems like for awhile there I ended up watching 2-3 "mini-series" that were front-loaded with really graphic sex and violence ... and then after that simply got on with the story. That Martin Freeman show set in Miami was one of those. I don't either understand or appreciate that technique, what's the point?

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Wait a minute -- are you saying that somebody has actually remade Lost in Space?  Wasn't the original bad enough?

My thoughts exactly! :D  

Although I did always like Billy Mumy. It was cool when he showed up in Babylon 5.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Since Alex retired three months ago

Congrats, Alex!

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Although I did always like Billy Mumy. It was cool when he showed up in Babylon 5.

Poor guy was a real trooper to keep playing Lennier.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My tired eyes read this as “Bill Murray” and I was so confused for a minute, lol.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

That certainly would have been a different take on the character. :unsure: