What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

On 9/26/2020 at 3:31 PM, Artemis said:

I started watching the show because I was very bored and there was nothing else on.  I was nervous about it, because I don’t like seeing torture or rape, and I was afraid it would be chock full of either or both.  I did end up fast-forwarding through a couple scenes, but it really wasn’t too bad.  

Exactly, I was nervous about it too, and when I first watched, I could feel how messed up that world is, can't help to think what I'd do in it. Curled in fear and paranoia, I supposed, but probably at one point I'd be too pissed to be always afraid and snap to offence instead of defence.

Anyway, I believe there are actually many viewers who tune in for exactly wanting the things you mentioned, which is the shame, because I think they always try to fit in more actions for them. I usually like you, not fast-forwarding but I do my other things (always watch something while playing a game). To me, I'm more interested in world building.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

That sounds like the original Star Trek episode "Return of the Archons," only they called it "The Festival" and "The Red Hour."  The rest of the time, the local folks were pretty boring.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, Artemis said:

It also reminds me of “The Lottery”.

I don't know all these. Star Trek, I supposed the classic TV series? I have no idea about The Lottery, don't tell me anything, maybe I'll check it out.

Anyway, I have seen all the four movies. My thing is, I'd prefer to know nothing about something I want to watch, and after that, if it interests me enough I'd want to know everything (except the real actor's life) and it's too dangerous to only see one as spoiler is everywhere. But I don't think there is much to spoil with movie 2 and 3, but I really want to know the 4th as that would interest me.

So these are the movies, they are all happens around the Purge hours, except the 4th starting earlier.

1. The Purge, 

First movie that center about a family in a home

2. The Purge Anarchy

Centered about various characters outside, on the street

3. The Purge Election year

This one going wider into the government

4. The First Purge

When the very first purge happen

As said, although they touch it here and there, about the world they are living in, I find that it's a bit not enough, with too little percentage. Although I do enjoy the movies, there are too little snippets about the world building than the actual purge hour itself. Maybe that's why I like the TV season 2 better, but I still want to know more. Example I can think of:

- What kind of asset insurance so they have in this world? Yes they have bits of it, but tell me more about how does the insurance company expect to do well? How to prevent a cross looting strategy for example by ASMBOWAFUWTPAICAWTDSAI (Association of Small Business Owner Who Are Fed Up With The Purge And Insurance Company And Want To Do Something About It) by agreeing to loot each other and claim the damage. What about the insurance for physical destruction of property and vehicle?? My car is giving me too much problem I'd just strand it outside to get a brand new one. I want to revamp my home, let me have the flimsiest security to invite looter (read, anything that chainsaw could take) and take a one day holiday to Canada.

- What kind of life, accident and hospital insurance do they have? How many toes and limbs missing to be considered claimable for mere hospital bill? Or medical leave from work? What about circumstances of death, all death? How many families looking at it as a way out to get rid of 'burdens'? How thick is insurance contract and how many investigator they need to have?

- What kind of situation there are in the border? Can someone break in or break out?

- Have they created a very fake society now that everyone will be paranoid that every single ridiculous reason is enough to get them ended up in purge list?

- Any protection for teachers? Face it, they annoy student, they probably don't have enough income to afford state of art security system.

- What is work place like? Do they delegate each other task in case one gets killed tomorrow? How easy for sadist to get promotion?

- You know what?? Be in construction and HR, you'll never run out of job!

- Don't be a therapist.

- Surprisingly, only murders and tortures are popular in this world. Looting, the first thing we have seen so much in things go wrong around the world, witness it first hand myself, is barely existent. Or looters prefer to stay home instead of risking their lives to the murderer? Are those murderers that blood thirsty they don't think about grocery the next day after supposedly spending tons of money on their arsenal? Tell me!

-

Well it's a given that there are many political agendas behind The Purge, for genocide and getting of the poor, 'the less valuable', the weaker etc etc, but even so, is it really worth it, even from evil corporate government point of view? The destruction of infrastructures, public and private facilities, the replacement of work force, the psychological and criminal impacts. How if it gets the 'wrong' target? I stayed in a country when they try to encourage reproduction by introducing incentive for second and subsequent child, to ensure the future. However, the 'wrong' ethnics who are legally citizen as well responded better than the targeted, so the social campaign backfires, so how to differentiate without blatantly making it clear who do you prefer to purge? They have their ways for sure, but when the activity finally become a common and full blown scale, it'd be much more difficult to control. And then, what happens when the 99 or whatever percent is gone? There will be another social economy impact, which I'm very disappointed that they fail to touch it.

Anyway, I have so much unanswered questions, and quite disappointed with the 4th movie which I'm very excited given the tittle, how it was all started. There are so much potential to explore.

Lastly, to sum it all, it's an unlikely concept, fortunately, can't imagine living in that world. However, it's surprising to me how many of the elements are applicable and happening in the real world that the further I dive in the franchise, the scarier it is, maybe it wouldn't be as blatant, but the believability has grown quite tremendously. After all, this real world teaches me that it's probably not alien or pandemic that are going to destroy us, it's us. And I thought I overestimated human's stupidity, I wasn't. Stupid =/= something I don't agree, stupid is something that are already proven stupid. 

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I don't know all these. Star Trek, I supposed the classic TV series? I have no idea about The Lottery, don't tell me anything, maybe I'll check it out.

Right, the original Star Trek TV series, the episode "Return of the Archons."  And "The Lottery" is a short story by Shirley Jackson; it's available online if you don't mind reading it three lines at a time.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 12:09 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

... there's one thing that kept puzzling me -- the English subtitles are spelled in British.  Why not just use the original American subtitles?

I wrote that with regard to a Region 2 (i.e., British/European) DVD of an American show.  But since then, I've noticed British subtitles on some Region 1 (American) Blu-rays, which puzzled me greatly.  Of course, the show (Star Trek, original series) was filmed and aired in the late 60's, when there were no subtitles, but if they were going to add them, why not in American?

Then it dawned on me -- the subtitles are likely being done in a place where many people are fluent in English but the cost of living (and therefore the wage scale) is lower than here -- the same place where most of our Customer Service calls seem to be answered these days -- namely India!

We're on Season 3 now, so I've gotten fairly used to the British spelling, but -- well, you know how subtitles are often reworded a bit, in order to be shorter?  In tonight's episode ("That Which Survives"), Sulu says (aloud) "I've never seen anything like it," but the subtitle says "I've not seen anything like it."  No British spelling there, but in order to save two letters, they basically translated the sentence into British.  (An American would be far more likely to say "I haven't seen anything like it," if not Sulu's original utterance.)

• 4 weeks later...

I am watching Dexter now, finally!

Wanted to watch, but kept putting it back because I heard later seasons or the finale are disappointing, but that's all I know. Although I want to find out and judge on my own, it's quite a wet blanket. Now there are news they are making new season (not sure to replace or whatever) so I started to binge it.

I'm starting season 5 now, have to say I really really like the first 4 seasons, season 1 is a blast for me. It's so good! I like how they tell the story, characters, inner monologue, acting, and how they tie up each stories.

Not a psychopath, pretty sure of that, not a sociopath as well, but I relate to the main character a lot of times, I think he could be a better person than me. Most of the time I am really pissed with people's expectation of him, while he is just amused and keep trying to learn.

Anyway, these are the good quotes I wrote down for season One:

- Flirting; it's one of those mating ritual I don't understand

- Human bond always leads to messy complication

- The inability to feel has its advantages..sometimes

- Maybe if I don't blink, my eyes will tear up. I hate this, I'm questioning every move, it's exhausting. (on trying to understand how empathy works)

- Alone, I'd be better off. Relationship is too confusing

- I don't get birthday; the party, the song, celebrating another year just being alive feels... forced

- And things.. people.. who never mattered before suddenly starting to matter.. it scares the hell out of me 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I am watching Dexter now, finally!

Wanted to watch, but kept putting it back because I heard later seasons or the finale are disappointing, but that's all I know. Although I want to find out and judge on my own, it's quite a wet blanket. Now there are news they are making new season (not sure to replace or whatever) so I started to binge it.

I'm starting season 5 now, have to say I really really like the first 4 seasons, season 1 is a blast for me. It's so good! I like how they tell the story, characters, inner monologue, acting, and how they tie up each stories.

Not a psychopath, pretty sure of that, not a sociopath as well, but I relate to the main character a lot of times, I think he could be a better person than me. Most of the time I am really pissed with people's expectation of him, while he is just amused and keep trying to learn.

Anyway, these are the good quotes I wrote down for season One:

- Flirting; it's one of those mating ritual I don't understand

- Human bond always leads to messy complication

- The inability to feel has its advantages..sometimes

- Maybe if I don't blink, my eyes will tear up. I hate this, I'm questioning every move, it's exhausting. (on trying to understand how empathy works)

- Alone, I'd be better off. Relationship is too confusing

- I don't get birthday; the party, the song, celebrating another year just being alive feels... forced

- And things.. people.. who never mattered before suddenly starting to matter.. it scares the hell out of me 

:lol: I read the first book (are those based on the series or is the series an adaptation of the books Btw?), and while I found the premise interesting, it soon got too gory for me. Wouldn't read it again and wouldn't continue the series but I also don't regret those reading hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are books??? I want!

I also don't care for gory, it's not that bad though. Like Hannibal and other similar shows, I usually don't focus on those or look away, my interest is on their characters, which are somehow very very fascinating.

Could be spoiler:

While Hannibal knows very well about himself and he is indeed heartlessly evil (with fascinating intelligence and charisma), Dexter is very.. different. The character has childlike factor to it, almost innocent (in a way a serial killer can be, but I mean it), many many times I think he is a much better person than most people. He is almost flawless in his relationship or he tries to be. It's maddening that I think others are too demanding of him, that he has patience of a saint. His story is heartbreaking, and it's kind of sad sometimes to see how out of world he feels and how difficult it is trying to be 'normal' and trying to fit in. Ring a bell?

Anyway, I don't object to what he does. Really! Nearer end of season 5, liking everything so far, but gripping the edge of table expecting a downhill, gah, I shouldn't be affected what others say, I hope it continues to be as good.

Some story lines are predictable to me, but I still like how they get there and I'm still pleasantly surprised.

This is the book I read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkly_Dreaming_Dexter

According to the article, the first season of the TV series was based on it. I got it from the library while I was at university, mainly because it was one of the few English books available there that I didn't know yet and weren't trite romance novels. 

• Thanks 2

I will look for it, thanks.

Into season 6 now, so far haven't been dissapointed. There are a lot of things I learn about the main character. Still think that overall this is more like a tragic sad story about how a person, not a normal one, trying to fit in the world. His bubble head is very similar to what I have sometimes during social interactions.

This is one example (when witnessing the fight of two people that whichever side he takes he will be in trouble): 

would it be weird if i just left?

And this is one of those sadness? false hope? dissapointment?

they make it look so easy
connecting with another human being
it's like no one told them
it's the hardest thing in the world

And this certainty,
that nothing, nothing is set in stone,
not even darkness
while she was here, she made me think,
for the briefest moment,
that I might even have a chance
to be human

but wishes, are of course, are for children

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished watching Dexter, not sure if it's affected by me lowering expectations, I actually find the finale (which is apparently what people are complaining about, now that I am spoiler free to read around) makes sense and fitting.

I think the stories are still interesting and fresh enough up to the end, but I couldn't mention my defense without being spoilery.

Overall, I enjoy the series, and on the unpopular side of not having problem with the finale and story line. In fact, I like it the way it is that reviving it actually makes me nervous.

Here are some morel interesting quotes that I save, spoiler warning if it is. And warning, there are some mushy sh*t when read together 😅

- compassion does not fit me

- chemistry, I've heard some people have it,
an attraction that can't be quantified or explained
is that reason behind this.. loss of control?

- chemistry deals with the reaction between elementary forms of matter
separate the elements, and you negate the teaction

- so why am I walking away from this?
because when some chemicals mix
they combust, and explode

- when some elements come together, the create a reaction that can't be reversed
they transcend chemistry
is this what love feels like
is this how it begins?
am I even capable of this?

- That's how love is
It's a powerful weapon
It can work for us or against us, can't it?

- I suppose the heart knows something that we just don"t know
or maybe the heart is just wrong

- love can be inconvinient, perhaps inappropriate. it can be dangerous
make us do things we wouldn't dream of doing,
but wrong? that just depends on where we end up, doesn't it?

- we are outsiders, you and I
on the periphery, watching everybody else
pretending we're just like them, but knowing we're not
best we can hope for is to find a place where we don"t have to pretend

- no matter where we go we take ourselves
and our damage with us
so is home the place we run to,
or is it the place we run from,
only to hide out in places where we're accepted
inconditionally
places that feel more like home to us,
because we can finally be who we are

- I would.give everything to feel nothing again

- For so long all I wanted was to be like other people. To feel what they felt. But now that I do, I just want it to stop.

- It’s said there are seven stages of grief. I suppose killing someone with my bare hands in a men’s room was my way of working through the anger stage. Whatever the other six stages are… I don’t have time for them”

- We only see two things in people, what we want to see and what they want to show us.

• Like 1

Hello, JH, and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

There are a *whole* lot of comedy shows to choose from!  Could you give us some idea what type you like, or maybe give us some examples of your current favorites?

Hi JH! Welcome!

Are you looking for brand new shows, or will old shows do?

• 3 weeks later...

Before I saw the original post, I thought we finally have a John Hamish.

Tsk, you guys should cut down the habit on shortening member's name 😁😁

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Tsk, you guys should cut down the habit on shortening member's name

Gee, I can't imagine what you're talking about, VBS!   :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

What are you talking about, VBS?   :huh:

You and Arcadia called Jillian Huel "JH".

That's what I get for trying to be a *subtle* wise guy!  I've gone back and edited my post -- any clearer now?

Sorry, I thought you were genuinely confused, lol.  I don't always pick up on sarcasm.  Blame the Asperger's.

Nope, it was me.  There's a lot of meaning that depends on tone of voice, and it's sometimes difficult to decide which emotie makes the best substitute for that.  I came back to this thread with the intention of changing that post, even before I saw your reply.

• 1 month later...

It was simpler time.

1002106197-photo-u1.jpg

I don't disagree if they only take people who are irresponsible that makes this thing gets worse instead of better, a year!

1002106114-photo-u1.jpg

If you know Stanley and Pretzel day, you'd know how much it ruins his life.

• Haha 1

We've been watching the British sitcom Detectorists [link] (I keep trying to call it The Detectorists, but it's just the single word), about a club of metal-detector enthusiasts, their loved ones, and assorted associates.  It's written by, directed by, and co-stars Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The [Original British] Office).  The other co-star is Toby Jones (Culverton Smith the "cereal killer," and Dobby the house-elf).  The regular cast also includes Rachael Sterling (daughter of Diana Rigg, who plays her mother in some episodes), Sophie Thompson (Emma's sister), and bunches of other people who are presumably (and deservedly) well known to British viewers.

Due to the theme of the show, there are quite a number of outdoor establishing shots which could have been filmed rather straightforwardly, but here are more often elegant and artistic.  I don't usually notice cinematography, but these views are lovely.

The plots generally involve relationships, and the humor is gentle and quirky.  We've just finished the first (of three) series, and are having a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

We're now on the third and final series of Detectorists.  I'll be sad to see it end!

It just occurred to me that the main three actors have all co-starred with Martin Freeman at some point or other (Mackenzie Crook as Gareth to MF's Tim in The Office, Toby Jones as Culverton Smith to MF's John Watson in Sherlock, and Rachael Sterling as the "girl" to MF's "boy" in Boy Meets Girl).  Then I found out that Diana Rigg, who has a high-profile recurring role in Detectorists, was in The Last King, which MF was also in.

You'd think MF would have been in Detectorists, huh?   :D   No idea who he'd have played, though.  Maybe better not mess with the status quo.

• 1 month later...

Husband and I have been watching Galavant lately, and while it's more than just a little bit silly, damn it Alan Menken definitely hasn't lost his gift for catchy tunes.

eta: This here is the title song - I just hesitated to use that one because it gives a bit of a wrong impression about the show, which goes on to gleefully send up all those cliches. Still, catchy tune. :lol: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I loooooove "Galavant"!  Season 2 was the best.  So funny and so underrated, I wish I could get more people to watch it.  The Giants vs. Dwarves episode, lol.  The Forest of Coincidence, Tad Cooper, "Well well well,"... lol.

One of my favorite songs was "Build a New Tomorrow".  In the words of a commenter on this video: "They threw shade at monarchy AND democracy with this bit.  Absolute genius."

• Like 1

King Richard looks for another job.

• Like 1

This is just one giant breach of the fourth wall.  :lol:

tvh4lu2f1jz21.png

Okay I'll stop now, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1