What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

My dad started watching "Resident Alien" and wanted some company, so I've been watching it with him.  Aside from the sexual humor (which you guys know I'm not a fan of), it is probably my favorite thing on television right now (a low bar, I will admit); especially in the comedy genre.  I have plenty of criticisms, but I've been so starved of new, good TV lately, I'm just enjoying it for what it is.  I like Harry's dynamic with the kid, Max -- the only one in town able to see Harry's true form.  I'm always up for a good enemy-turned-ally trope, and it's extra funny when it's a being of supposedly superior intelligence battling wits with a wily child, lol.  Sadly, the season was only 10 episodes and ended already.  But it was a good finale.  I appreciated that it wrapped up the story and came to a satisfying conclusion (more or less) while still leaving enough open for a second season, instead of ending entirely unresolved in a full-on cliffhanger like most series' these days.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, so maybe it's just me; but "Don't go, it hurts!" has to be one of the best-delivered lines in television history.  For context: Harry is an alien from a nonemotional species, stuck on Earth in a situation where he is experiencing unfamiliar feelings he doesn't understand, does not want, and struggles to express.  In this scene, his only real friend is telling him she never wants to see him again, because of something bad he did (and lied about) when he first arrived.  To see a normally ruthless and self-superior (yet somehow still endearing) character suddenly humbled and desperate and scared, and unable to communicate that any other way but "it hurts," cracked my heart right in two.  I haven't seen much of Alan Tudyk prior to this (apparently he is well-known), but I applaud his performance.  Well done you, for managing to shatter me in 4 words.

I also started watching "Debris", another sci-fi show.  The premise is mysterious and intriguing, but it's a bit heavy and slow-moving.  I'll give it the rest of the season, but if it doesn't get better I might not continue, or I'll wait until it's all finished to give it another try.

Oh yes, and "Superstore" ended last week.  I'm a bit sad about that, but I suppose it was time.  The first few seasons were the best, and I didn't expect it to last long after a main character left last season.

15 minutes ago, Artemis said:

My dad started watching "Resident Alien" and wanted some company, so I've been watching it with him.  Aside from the sexual humor (which you guys know I'm not a fan of), it is probably my favorite thing on television right now (a low bar, I will admit); especially in the comedy genre.  I have plenty of criticisms, but I've been so starved of new, good TV lately, I'm just enjoying it for what it is.  I like Harry's dynamic with the kid, Max -- the only one in town able to see Harry's true form.  I'm always up for a good enemy-turned-ally trope, and it's extra funny when it's a being of supposedly superior intelligence battling wits with a wily child, lol.  Sadly, the season was only 10 episodes and ended already.  But it was a good finale.  I appreciated that it wrapped up the story and came to a satisfying conclusion (more or less) while still leaving enough open for a second season, instead of ending entirely unresolved in a full-on cliffhanger like most series' these days.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, so maybe it's just me; but "Don't go, it hurts!" was one of the best-delivered lines in television history.  For context: Harry is an alien from a nonemotional species, stuck on Earth in a situation where he is experiencing unfamiliar feelings he doesn't understand, does not want, and struggles to express.  In this scene, his only real friend is telling him she never wants to see him again, because of something bad he did (and lied about) when he first arrived.  To see a normally ruthless and self-superior character suddenly humbled and desperate and scared, and unable to communicate that any other way but "it hurts," cracked my heart right in two.  I haven't seen much of Alan Tudyk prior to this (apparently he is well-known), but I applaud his performance.  Well done you, for managing to shatter me in 4 words.

I also started watching "Debris", another sci-fi show.  The premise is mysterious and intriguing, but it's a bit heavy and slow-moving.  I'll give it the rest of the season, but if it doesn't get better I might not continue, or I'll wait until it's all finished to give it another try.

As soon as I read "Alan Tudyk" I thought "I gotta see this." I mostly remember him from "Firefly" but he was marvelous in that. Well, the whole cast was, but hey.

And if you haven't seen "Firefly" ... Rent. It. Now. And it's follow-up, Serenity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

And if you haven't seen "Firefly" ... Rent. It. Now. And it's follow-up, Serenity.

I haven't seen it.  I've heard great things about it, but I also heard it got cancelled, so I was never sure about investing my time (and emotions) into it.  If you recommend it though, maybe I will.

5 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I haven't seen it.  I've heard great things about it, but I also heard it got cancelled, so I was never sure about investing my time (and emotions) into it.  If you recommend it though, maybe I will.

Well, there's only a dozen or so episodes, and it's resolved in Serenity, if that helps. But there is some, er, sadness involved by the end. But lots of laughs, adventure, relationships, ideas and a great cast along the way.

Are you familiar with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog? Also worth watching. It used to be free on their official website, but you can still find it on (ahem) Dailymotion.....

It's a shame Joss Whedon seems to be on his way to becoming a Bad Guy, because his work is brilliant. Well ... Age of Ultron wasn't so great, actually, but the rest.... yum.

• Like 1

Another vote for Firefly/Serenity. It's gonna rip out your heart and stomp on it, but still worth it.

Same goes for Dr. Horrible, really. Plus it has catchy tunes. And Neil Patrick Harris is brilliant in this. 

• Like 1

Are you familiar with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?

I own that one!  :D

It's a shame Joss Whedon seems to be on his way to becoming a Bad Guy, because his work is brilliant. Well ... Age of Ultron wasn't so great, actually, but the rest.... yum.

I totally agree!  Although, I'm one of the few (it seems) who actually does like Age of Ultron.  I wish so badly that Joss had had more involvement in other MCU films.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I'm one of the few (it seems) who actually does like Age of Ultron.  I wish so badly that Joss had had more involvement in other MCU films.

I should probably watch it again, I just remember it seemed kind of slow.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I loooooove "Galavant"!  Season 2 was the best.  So funny and so underrated, I wish I could get more people to watch it.  The Giants vs. the Dwarves episode, lol.  The Forest of Coincidence, Tad Cooper, "Well well well,"... lol.

Is there a female equivalent to Brothers From A Different Mother? Because we're that, Artemis. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caya said:

Is there a female equivalent to Brothers From A Different Mother? Because we're that, Artemis. :lol:

There needs to be!  I heard "sisters from another mister" once, but I don't think it's official, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I should probably watch it again, I just remember it seemed kind of slow.

The only thing I really didn't like about it was the forced and somewhat awkward romance between Hulk and Widow.  But I feel that way about most of the MCU romances, lol.  Actually, most movie romances in general.  :P

• Like 1

Another recommendation for Firefly. I even bought Serenity DVD and I only have handful DVDs (no prize to guess what other series I have!).

Interested with the context of Resident Alien, however, from your description, Artemis, it seems more heartbreaking than funny? I am scared of those, it's like The Sign of Three to me.

Watched Queen's Gambit recently, based on recommendation. It's intriguing, the settings are gorgeous, nice music, great actings, great accurancy in the game of chess, however Imho it misses a lot of things, scratching a lot of surfaces but don't really get into them, but maybe it's me. I still enjoyed while watching it, binged it in two nights.

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Interested with the context of Resident Alien, however, from your description, Artemis, it seems more heartbreaking than funny?

I believe the series is officially a "dramedy" (part comedy/part drama), but for me it's more comedy than drama.  The scene I described was only 2 minutes of the series.  Even comedies need a helping of heartfelt moments (unless it's "Seinfeld", lol).  :smile:  And because it's a comedy, the mood lifts again quickly; sometimes with the very next line.  So even when something is sad or poignant, you don't stay sad for long.  Having the right balance is important in a show, and I think the amount of comedy makes the emotional moments that much more impactful when they occur.

The thing about Harry is that he's so self-assured he's doing human behavior right, he doesn't even realize he's fumbling most of the time.  So what could be a tragic predicament (an alien feeling alien feelings for the first time) is often actually pretty comedic, due in part to his sense of superiority and lack of awareness.

In any case, it's far more funny than heartbreaking, and there's nothing to be scared of.  Unless you are scared of aliens.  :P 

f30f21f46f6e1b7528dd4b7730807de3ed176bb8

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

however Imho it misses a lot of things, scratching a lot of surfaces but don't really get into them, but maybe it's me.

I felt the same, so much so that I actually quit watching.  I just got bored.  But maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, either.  I may try it again someday.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I felt the same, so much so that I actually quit watching.  I just got bored.  But maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, either.  I may try it again someday.

Good to know I am not the only one who thinks it's overrated. Wonder why it's such a hit. It's not bad, but there are many other underrated series that deserve more attention.

33 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Good to know I am not the only one who thinks it's overrated. Wonder why it's such a hit.

Hard to say.  The past year hasn't produced much to choose from.  Maybe people are just happy to have any new content.  I can see the appeal, it drew me in.  Like you said, it's not bad.  It just left me wanting.

35 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Good to know I am not the only one

On that note...

On 4/1/2021 at 11:55 PM, Artemis said:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, so maybe it's just me;

^ Good to know I'm not the only one!  :D  

a1e09f4452600455b11faffd25c0594221593767

12 hours ago, Artemis said:

Even comedies need a helping of heartfelt moments (unless it's "Seinfeld", lol).

Seinfeld was a comedy???   :blink:

• Haha 1
  • Tongue 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Seinfeld was a comedy???   :blink:

Only the best one ever!  :P 

On 4/9/2021 at 6:09 AM, Artemis said:

Only the best one ever!  :P 

It's high up there on the scale of how much I want to do what those characters do in dealing with other human.

The other day while browsing YouTube, for some reason the algorithm gave me 'To Catch a Predator', anyone saw that before?

It was quite sometime ago, the context is like the title, catching those people scouring internet trying to find young prey.

I must say I am horrified, to see how many they actually get (for example, in 3 days sting they could get more than three dozen of perpetrators), how 'normal' they look, how disturbing and graphic are the conversation, and how.. these people are teachers, researcher, cops, doctor, rabbi, the list goes on.

I am scared to imagine how easy it must be nowadays when people practically put everything on internet, eventhough, hopefully, there should be more effort to catch them??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

'To Catch a Predator', anyone saw that before?

I have, or something like it.  Predators are everywhere, hiding in plain sight.  If you really knew all the people around you, you’d probably never leave your house or talk to anyone, and even that’s not predator-proof.  A certain degree of naiveté allows us to live our lives, but sometimes it’s my biggest pet peeve, lol.

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

A certain degree of naiveté allows us to live our lives

... and lets us sleep at night.

5 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... and lets us sleep at night.

Well, after reading those last few posts, I'm not sure how well I'll be sleeping anymore..... :wacko:

Personally, I don't think it's the kind of naivete I want to live in. Being paranoid and cautious makes me weird and probably very annoying in a way, but it saved me too. I'm not changing that, but have to admit, the longer I live, I have worse and worse opinion about us.

I just wonder, why, why human are created this way? Wouldn't it be better if the libido level is toned down a couple of notches?? Human are too horny, it leads to too many crimes. What are the use of that! Animal have urge to procreate, that is their instincts. We should and do know better. Seven billions and counting to eight, countless of horrible crimes, broken home, pretty sure those perverts don't have procreation in their minds, god no.

I vote for less horny species, this is a big flaw!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I vote for less horny species, this is a big flaw!

I would make for a less crowded world.  But I'm not sure that predators, even the so-called sexual kind, are necessarily acting from horniness.   From what I've read, rape is more often done out of hatred, and I suspect something similar may be true of predation.