Jump to content

What other TV shows do you watch?


EvigMidnat
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 1:31 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

incapacitated by her overwhelming emotions that she had chosen to have a lobotomy.  My friend said she was still a very good nurse, but she was never happy or sad.  Now I'm wondering if she was still curious or empathic.

Can you elaborate? I am VERY curious. I thought lobotomy was a thing in the past, at least as 'treatment'.

This could send me into rabbit hole so I better ask you first before I get too curious to find out.

 

@Lucifer... erm.. 

On 6/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, J.P. said:

It definitely suffers from all series too-long-to-be-good syndrom

I have to agree with this, I love season 2, and season 4 exceeded my expectation too, especially after it was cancelled, but season 5 part 2... Please imagine Moriarty face in the roof top, the one when he said, Staying. 

I practically binged all of it, flat, without feeling anything. Maybe it's me, sometimes I could be in that phrase, but I don't think so. I didn't laugh or find anything funny or touching, despite its effort to do so. What is wrong with me or it??? And the musical episode, arghh!! What did I say about musical?? I love Tom in season 4 singing Creep, I love it! And I kind of like Wicked Game, but not all, not everytime, not Tom! The rest are mediocre and no musical!

The story line felt really forced and saturated, saw the jokes come from miles away. I think Tom is the only constant joy on screen as Lucifer and Michael. At this rate, I'd rather it ends at Season 4, hopefully last season could live up to when it was good or I'll be in better mood.

 

P.S. Yes Lucifer was saved by fans. It was cancelled after season 3. I binged them not long before season 4 came out, so I didn't know anything about it or had chance to mourn it.

The other show I think fans trying to save is Hannibal. Not sure how it's going now. It was cancelled after 3 season too. Three excellent seasons. I love the show, and have confidence in it, as it was originally planned to run more. Give it a try, don't chicken out like Arcadia everytime I mentioned it. :boing:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dunno, I'm not entirely sure Lucifer is still the same show I started watching, but I was down with it overall. I liked that they dedicated episodes to chars other than the main couple to tie up loose ends (the Linda one was lovely, imo) and I absolutely lost it at that scene (not a spoiler because it only makes sense in context):

hnRS71E.jpg

How they're gonna go on now, I have zero idea (other than, hopefully, getting a certain someone out of a certain place :blowmytop: ). But I'm still along for the ride, it's only one more season after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad you still find the charm in it. I do suspect that my mood affected my viewing. Nothing in particular, but I do find some days I have flat appreciation with about almost everything (shows), and I binged this in three nights. I guess there are three main factors too:

1. it could be better if it's not a two parter, as if it's watched together with 5.01

2. they are touching subjects that is probably too big to handle

3. Most of the conflicts/problems/storylines felt a bit forced for me

3.1. As much as I like music, and Tom Ellis singing, I rolled too many eyes in ep.2. Can't help it. I love music, and I secretly love singing, but musical drives me nuts.

3.2. The one that you mentioned, also failed to touch me. Somehow it feels like

Infinity War, I took no deaths there seriously. And I don't like concept of guilty=hell. What, are we supposed to not have remorse? I know a lot of psychopaths love that idea!

Having said all that, as mentioned, I do wonder why I felt so flat, because they still maintain some of the recipes from previous seasons that I like. Some jokes are the same lines, and this is the show that made me lol. It could be just me though, so I'm glad that it's still charming because I remember wanting to know your take.

I will still stick around for next season, hoping it will close it well. 

And I do love the last line OMM!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It might be things like the last line that continue to save this show. I found several peaks of profound or moving, but they are like the iceberg part over the water.
Funny thing, though 12 Monkeys still haunts me. The music haunts me, mostly.

PS: I was probably one of the very few people who just overreact.gif -ed when they announced Season 2 for Good Omens. I used it as an example why it is good for shows to be short and written in one piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 12:12 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Can you elaborate? I am VERY curious. I thought lobotomy was a thing in the past, at least as 'treatment'.

The early ones, some of which were grope-in-the-dark, hit-and-miss butcher jobs (nevertheless touted as panaceas), occurred back around 1940.  That type was still being done as late as the mid-60's, but meanwhile other, more precise methods were arising.  These latter were being done more rarely, and only as a last resort.  The last lobotomies were done about 1980 -- around the time when my friend told me about her co-worker's (relatively successful and helpful) lobotomy, though I don't know when that one was actually performed.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 12:12 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Give it a try, don't chicken out like Arcadia everytime I mentioned it. :boing:

Hey!! I'm right here, y'know!

On 7/4/2021 at 12:40 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

The last lobotomies were done about 1980 -- around the time when my friend told me about her co-worker's (relatively successful and helpful) lobotomy, though I don't know when that one was actually performed.

😬 

Didn't they try lobotomies as a treatment for epilepsy at one point? I seem to remember hearing about that. Urk.

  • Tongue 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Didn't they try lobotomies as a treatment for epilepsy at one point?


I wouldn't be surprised.  They (or at least some of Them) were touting lobotomies as the cure for damn near everything back in the mid-1900's.  But at that time, lobotomies often caused epilepsy.

However there seems to be a new type of lobotomy [link and link] now being investigated as a treatment for really severe cases of epilepsy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 12:40 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

The early ones, some of which were grope-in-the-dark, hit-and-miss butcher jobs (nevertheless touted as panaceas), occurred back around 1940.  That type was still being done as late as the mid-60's, but meanwhile other, more precise methods were arising.  These latter were being done more rarely, and only as a last resort.  The last lobotomies were done about 1980 -- around the time when my friend told me about her co-worker's (relatively successful and helpful) lobotomy, though I don't know when that one was actually performed.

 

On 7/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, Arcadia said:

Didn't they try lobotomies as a treatment for epilepsy at one point? I seem to remember hearing about that. Urk.

Yah, I remember those as 'thing in the past', because it didn't work or it messed up more that it fixed, and if I remember correctly, someone actually got a Nobel prize for it?

So when you mentioned that a friend got the treatment, I assumed it was quite recent.

 

On 7/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, Arcadia said:

Hey!! I'm right here, y'know!

Yah, but have you watched Hannibal? :cowdance:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

if I remember correctly, someone actually got a Nobel prize for it?

Yes (according to what I read while replying to earlier posts), the doctor who came up with the idea for lobotomies in general was awarded a Nobel Prize at the time.  Later on, when lobotomies were no longer considered a great idea, there was some talk of revoking the prize, but that never actually happened.

Frankly, if awards were revoked whenever the ideas behind them were discredited, most of them wouldn't last very long.  Old ideas are nothing to be ashamed of -- we perceive them as such because fortunately someone has come up with a better idea since then.  That's what we call progress.  So awards are basically a snapshot of an era, rather than a testimony to eternal truth.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Decided to re-watch Spartacus. Because I'm on vacation without being away, the weather is ridiculous and the Corona incidence reached 100 in my town - so binging Netflix while knitting doll socks and sweaters seems the best option available.

Well, I only got my opinion confirmed after almost a decade.

Actually, it's a good story, with solid writing, interesting and twist-rich plot with many surprises, decent acting, LGBT-representation and interesting visual style. It even managed re-casting of the lead character really well.

BUT
Someone there decided that literally buckets of red paint, body parts flying through the air and orgies that would made GoT makers blush* - that it all would make the show even better.

It does not.
So it probably will be only remembered for a bunch of dirty wrestlers running around in leather diapers, cutting each other into pieces in slow motion and showing of their clean shaven (WTF?!) d**cs - which is kind of sad and does not give the justice to the story. This show probably lost many potential viewers who couldn't stomach the butchery.

So it's Lanisters who will be remembered as the masters of intriguing, even if they wouldn't survive a day in the Houses Batiatus or Crassus.

*actually, beside wild orgies and rapes, there are also some explicit sex scenes full of love, caring and tenderness - something that GoT was remarkably bad at.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, J.P. said:

Decided to re-watch Spartacus.


I assumed from the start (due to the thread you chose) that there must have been a tv show by that name.  Your description confirmed my assumption, literally in buckets!!!

When I was in high school, the Kirk Douglas movie of Spartacus was released, and our little-old-lady Latin teacher took us to see it.  Mind you, this was the American version, so the only nudity was partial and non-frontal.  Still, in the scene in Spartacus's cell, when the slave woman (partly) bares herself, we kids were mostly watching our teacher.  She never did say anything, but we were virtually certain that she wasn't expecting that scene.

I'm willing to bet any sum of money that your tv show would have elicited some rather vigorous comments from her -- right before she turned off the set!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of TV shows -- we've been watching Longstreet on DVD. The show ran only one season back in the 70's, and was apparently never syndicated, meaning that I may be the only person here who's ever even heard the title.  It's about an insurance investigator (Mike Longstreet, played by James Franciscus) who is blinded when a bomb (presumably meant for him) kills his wife.  Once he's learned how to manage fairly well without sight, he investigates the case and figures out who planted the bomb.

Having thus proven (especially to himself) that he can still function, he decides to go into business as an independent insurance investigator.

Anyhow, in addition to admiring Franciscus's performance (and he wasn't bad looking either!), I've been trying to figure out just how the bomb was supposed to have destroyed his sight.  A few days after the explosion, he's shown in the hospital with bandages over his eyes but no other signs of bodily harm.  Of course he may have had a concussion, though not enough to knock him out.

The bomb had been disguised as a bottle of champagne, so it was pretty compact.  Mike was maybe ten feet away when it went off.  The blast covered his face with soot and scratches, but later when the bandages come off, his eyes look the same as before, with no external signs of injury.

So -- does anyone know of some way that could have left him completely blind?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The heat from the explosion maybe? They had one method in antiquity of blinding that involved passing a hot torch or metal plate close to the eyes, which started a very painful process that left the victim blind, but still in possession of his eyes (unlike, say, gouging).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Caya said:

The heat from the explosion maybe?


Maybe.  That would also explain the soot on his face.  But that historical method sounds like it was used right up close to the person's eyes.  Seems like anything that would create sufficient heat at a range of ten feet or so from the source would be likely to cause a bunch of other heat-related effects (e.g., severe burns on his face), which we did not see in the show.

I've also considered that the bomb might have given off sufficient light to blind him, even at that range, but I'm not sure something the size of a champagne bottle could give off that much light (especially with 70's technology).  Maybe a champagne-bottle-sized chunk of magnesium, somehow induced to oxidize all at once?  Here's a video of a thin ribbon of the stuff giving off really intense light (and heat):

One of the viewer comments under that video says that lithium oxidizes even more brightly.

Anyone may feel free to offer evidence that I'm wrong about any of the above!

I'm currently leaning toward the "it's television, so it doesn't have to make literal sense" school of thought -- though I'm uncomfortable with that due to the relative realism of other elements in the production.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Explosions are dynamic processes, though. Could be a hot chunk of whichever substance exploded flew close by his face, fast enough not to burn skin (which would need a second of exposure iirc) but damaging his eyes. Could have been light too of course, but I have no idea if a brief flash could suffice to do permanent damage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on how bright, I suppose.

We rewatched the first episode tonight, and the police lab found parts of a Russian hand grenade in the rubble.  Mercifully I have never witnessed any grenade going off, but I have the impression that they produce a pretty run of the mill explosion, and that the damage they do at any distance is mostly due to shrapnel.

So I'm back to general bewilderment -- barring any new input, of course.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, J.P. said:

Decided to re-watch Spartacus. Because I'm on vacation without being away, the weather is ridiculous and the Corona incidence reached 100 in my town - so binging Netflix while knitting doll socks and sweaters seems the best option available.

Well, I only got my opinion confirmed after almost a decade.

Actually, it's a good story, with solid writing, interesting and twist-rich plot with many surprises, decent acting, LGBT-representation and interesting visual style. It even managed re-casting of the lead character really well.

BUT
Someone there decided that literally buckets of red paint, body parts flying through the air and orgies that would made GoT makers blush* - that it all would make the show even better.

It does not.
So it probably will be only remembered for a bunch of dirty wrestlers running around in leather diapers, cutting each other into pieces in slow motion and showing of their clean shaven (WTF?!) d**cs - which is kind of sad and does not give the justice to the story. This show probably lost many potential viewers who couldn't stomach the butchery.

So it's Lanisters who will be remembered as the masters of intriguing, even if they wouldn't survive a day in the Houses Batiatus or Crassus.

*actually, beside wild orgies and rapes, there are also some explicit sex scenes full of love, caring and tenderness - something that GoT was remarkably bad at.

Hey oh, I agree with everything you said.

I watched this couple of years ago, I still remember lots of it. It's a shame that it's not easy to recommend this to others without feeling the embarrassment that it has a lot of explicit scenes, and the gore! Bahaha... I'm not squeamish (for tv and movies), it doesn't really bother me as I know it's TV, but you are right, it's a bit over the top even though some scenes work really well with it.

Regarding the lead, couldn't agree more, the original is great, so sad that he couldn't make it, but the replacement works. Did you watch the prequel, or whatever they call it. It also works well too and I'm glad he appears again.

Some story lines are great and memorable, I really like the Kill Them All and the finale, and they build it up really well. So mostly I'd just look away from unnecessary scenes and violence to enjoy the rest. Yes, if only they cut away those, it would be a very good and powerful series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, how good to meet someone with a similar view! yess.gif

It's almost like admitting you watch pornography, because most people see it as such.

Prequel - you mean Season 2, the story before Spartacus? It's a bit weaker I think. I suspect it was made to fill the gape due to the lead being sick and dying (it's a really sad story, so damn young). They probably thought that it would prevent the viewers from loosing interest.

As for the plot: for me it was interesting to realize that the conspiracies among the Roman nobles were as brutal as the fights on the arena, only with a bit more sophisticated methods. Or even they were worse, because gladiators had at least a kind of code they followed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 1:37 AM, J.P. said:

It's almost like admitting you watch pornography, because most people see it as such.

Yes! And to be fair, I'm being a bit judgemental as well. For example, a colleague in my old workplace mentioned that they watched the series in their dorm (some kind of housing provided by company). Well, they are young guys, and I have heard some other weird things about the place, so yah! I assume they watched it for this purpose. 😅

On 9/14/2021 at 1:37 AM, J.P. said:

Prequel - you mean Season 2, the story before Spartacus? It's a bit weaker I think. I suspect it was made to fill the gape due to the lead being sick and dying (it's a really sad story, so damn young). They probably thought that it would prevent the viewers from loosing interest.

Yes, the one without Spartacus. It's Gannicus I think. For some reason, I watched it in this order. Yes, it's the weakest, but even so, it provides a good angle of gladiator world. 

And to the actor, agree, if I remember correctly, he is such a good sport and had full mental support from the rest. I don't know his other works, but he is so good in this series. I still remember the one in the mid season, I think you know, so I don't need to mention it as it's spoiler. When I watched it, I was like, ehhh, so this is not just a mindless fun gladiator series. It actually...makes me feel??

On 9/14/2021 at 1:37 AM, J.P. said:

As for the plot: for me it was interesting to realize that the conspiracies among the Roman nobles were as brutal as the fights on the arena, only with a bit more sophisticated methods. Or even they were worse, because gladiators had at least a kind of code they followed.

Yes, didn't expect that it was explored very well. The house of Bastiatus is the most intriguing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.