What other TV shows do you watch?

EvigMidnat

Roddenberry always claimed to have a very liberated attitude toward women, but that seemed to translate mostly into their right to wear the shortest possible skirts and to scratch his itches. Even so, Trek was about par for the late 60's, I think.

Looking back from our vantage point makes it seem pretty stodgy, but you really can't blame them for not knowing the future of women's rights. Nobody predicted the internet either.

• Like 2

And come to think of it, back then the right to wear mini skirts WAS a women's lib issue. To this day I've never forgotten what it felt like to have the school principal measure the distance from my knee to the hem of my skirt, like the whole school would descend into chaos if I dared to bare an extra half inch of leg. I also remember girls being put on report and sent home for doing just that. I've never understood why it was the girl's fault if a boy got overexcited by the sight of her quadriceps.

• Like 2

Roddenberry always claimed to have a very liberated attitude toward women, but that seemed to translate mostly into their right to wear the shortest possible skirts and to scratch his itches. Even so, Trek was about par for the late 60's, I think.

Looking back from our vantage point makes it seem pretty stodgy, but you really can't blame them for not knowing the future of women's rights. Nobody predicted the internet either.

I did not see TOS in its original run, but I was alive in time for the movies and saw TOS in rerun. So, for my formative Trek years, the TOS universe was all that existed, and we didn't yet have the space shuttle, let alone a female astronaut.

That's always what I thought was behind some of the "sexism" in the TOS universe.  I assumed that, since these were created pre-moon shot, the mental model for selection of members of the Enterprise crew (and especially the bridge crew) was more similar to astronaut selection.  I figured Starfleet controlled for all sorts of variables, including health, height, weight, strength, and other things that might come into play if they had to take an escape pod or just survive 5 years away from Earth.  Seen through that lens, I didn't think it was unusual that they might control for the number of women for a variety of factors. Remember what a big deal it was that the ship on TNG had kids? I figured that the TOS era focused on people who didn't want kids, and that also had an impact on the number of women crew members.

• Like 2

Thanks, Boton. That makes perfect sense from a late-60's perspective.

Also, even though the series was meant to portray a 22nd century society (changed to 23rd for the movies), they had to make it relatable for a 20th century audience. So the astronaut model makes even more sense as something the audience was familiar with.

• Like 1

Meanwhile...

tumblr_inline_ob7fy8G8yr1tstdlr_500.gif

Are those tribbles by chance? Never got into TOS. Barely got into TNG, saw Generations once, and have only seen STID because of Benedict (I do like the storyline and own the DVD). But I like all of the Star Wars movies without issue. (I'm just a wee bit picky about my sci-fi if no one noticed)

Yup, they are indeed. For some reason Spock looking so enamoured of his amuses me. :D But look at Uhura, she's happily stroking and then it looks like she's just found a flea, or a tick, or something else unsavoury. 

I'm the opposite, I never got into Star Wars. I've not seen either of the newest ones though to be fair.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love the old Star Wars but never got into Star Trek. Sometimes I feel like I am the only Sherlock fan who doesn't like Star Trek! I am married to a person who does though. Guess that will have to count.

• Like 1

I love the old Star Wars but never got into Star Trek. Sometimes I feel like I am the only Sherlock fan who doesn't like Star Trek! I am married to a person who does though. Guess that will have to count.

You're not the only one. Star Trek is take it or leave it for me with most of its entities being leave it. If I was given the choice of watching Star Trek (excluding STID) or Star Wars, Star Wars would win hands down.

I adore them both, probably equally, and for entirely different reasons.

I think Star Trek is something you had to grow up watching to truly appreciate. There was nothing else like it when the first one came out, that made it more special. Also it addressed the issues of its time, which haven't changed, exactly, but we think about them differently now. It was monumental at the time to have "people of color" as officers (!) on the bridge, for example. And of course, Spock, the ultimate minority ... he wasn't even human! :smile: All of which seemed perfectly ordinary by the time Star Wars came along. Star Wars broke a different barrier ... it made movies fun again. Which at the time seemed very important, for some reason. There's not an action movie made today that doesn't owe some of its DNA to Star Wars, and that probably includes Sherlock. 

George Lucas, you have a lot to answer for... :p

• Like 2

I agree with Arcadia.  There was something about Star Trek that was just so *possible.* Especially with the original series, I always felt like all I had to do was live long enough and I could be a part of that kind of a future adventure; there was nothing else that could possibly hold me back.  And, give or take a few moments where the episodes got a little heavy handed, most of the ground-breaking diversity was just there.  Uhura and Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand may not have been captains (although we got our female captain later in Katherine Janeway), but they were women chosen for this great mission, and no one treated them differently. Chekov was Russian at a time when even being in the same room with a Soviet seemed more improbable than being in the same room with a Klingon, and Spock, as you say, was the ultimate minority.  Star Trek was my go-to picture of the future, and everyone who worked hard and was brave had a place there.

Star Wars is wonderful, and I love it, but it never can and never should really try to escape its roots as archetypal myth.  A better mind than me (Joseph Campbell) has written extensively on how the original (Episode IV) is the archetypal father quest, and that in itself takes it out of the realm of the possible into its role as allegory.  Still awesome, though.  We need more popular myth in the world.

• Like 4

I agree with Arcadia.  There was something about Star Trek that was just so *possible.* Especially with the original series, I always felt like all I had to do was live long enough and I could be a part of that kind of a future adventure; there was nothing else that could possibly hold me back.  And, give or take a few moments where the episodes got a little heavy handed, most of the ground-breaking diversity was just there.  Uhura and Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand may not have been captains (although we got our female captain later in Katherine Janeway), but they were women chosen for this great mission, and no one treated them differently. Chekov was Russian at a time when even being in the same room with a Soviet seemed more improbably than being in the same room with a Klingon, and Spock, as you say, was the ultimate minority.  Star Trek was my go-to picture of the future, and everyone who worked hard and was brave had a place there.

Star Wars is wonderful, and I love it, but it never can and never should really try to escape its roots as archetypal myth.  A better mind than me (Joseph Campbell) has written extensively on how the original (Episode IV) is the archetypal father quest, and that in itself takes it out of the realm of the possible into its role as allegory.  Still awesome, though.  We need more popular myth in the world.

Precisely. Star Trek was science fiction, and a vision of a hopeful future. Star Wars is fantasy, and a vision of a past that never existed but seems like it should have. I think it actually owes more to Lord of the Rings than Star Trek, and I'm all for more Lord of the Rings. :d (The Tolkien version, though, not the movie one.)

• Like 4

What I like about the old Star Wars movies is that they are so... Funky? Campy? And yet they have the power to move me to tears. And of course I like Han Solo.

• Like 4

What I like so much about Star Trek is that it's optimistic science fiction. These days, when every cinematic or literary vision of the future seems to be a dystopian hellscape ruled by megacorporations or oligarchs or sentient stoats for all I care, I kinda miss that spirit. Also, it's hands down the best of all imaginary worlds for a common citizen to live. Most places are only fun if you're royalty, a Jedi or similar.

• Like 4

Yep-p!

I'm watching The Doomsday Machine right now, one of my favorite episodes. Kirk is at his best in this one, for one thing. But it's just a good, tight cat-and-mouse drama, and a decent character study of both captains. Also Spock vs. Decker is awesome to behold. 

Uh oh ... I forgot, though, that this is one of the ones with a really over-the-top soundtrack. *wince* :smile:

• Like 1

Yes! You like Person of Interest as well Doe?

I loveeee it!

I gotta confess to you guys, I spent 80 hours or so rewatching it again after initial watch instead of rewatching S4. I think maybe I could do it in loop for a long time and listen to the soundtracks in between.

• Like 1

It's being rebroadcast on one of our stations, I've been waiting for it to roll around back to season one so I can try watching it again. I've tuned in a couple times and just feel confused.

I am happy to see

the inclusion of Amy Acker as Root, she was one of my favorites on Angel.

Oh dear, you shouldn't know that before you watch...! and maybe it have to be in spoiler box :p

Don't give up after a couple of episodes, it is not a common procedural series, it pays in long term and enjoyable in short.

I'll be happy to open a thread for discussion, so many interesting stuffs.

Oh, I don't know what her role is in the show, I just noticed she's in it. But I'll spoiler it if you think I should.

Just finished binge watching Breaking Bad, so now I'm up on all the pop culture references for the moment.

I am now going back and forth between the second season of The Last Kingdom (I read all the books.  Twice.  That's a long story....) and The 100.  One of my students last semester recommended The 100, and it's not bad, but Mr. Boton has really gotten into it.  

Yes! You like Person of Interest as well Doe?

I loveeee it!

I gotta confess to you guys, I spent 80 hours or so rewatching it again after initial watch instead of rewatching S4. I think maybe I could do it in loop for a long time and listen to the soundtracks in between.

Absoletly me too. 

Finch, clever man.

Root, fantastic.

Reese, interesting.

I love all of them.

Did anyone watch Luther?

I was into it for awhile but it was too relentlessly dark for my taste, and I lost interest. I'm in a head-space right now where I need some air and light from time to time.

• Like 2