"Nightjar" game (voice by Cumberbatch) now on iTunes

Carol the Dabbler

From Sherlockology:

The Nightjar launches internationally on iOS

tumblr_mm0taiwwYx1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

Previously available only in the UK, the multi award winning mobile game The Nightjar has finally become available internationally via iTunes. The sci-fi horror tinged video game sees the player navigating the corridors of a dying spaceship, relying purely on the verbal instructions fed to them by the mysterious Dickie, played by Benedict Cumberbatch. The image above shows Benedict recording his performance for the game in March 2011.

The original release of the game had more than 100,000 downloads, won FWA, Cannes Lions, D&AD, BIMA and Lovie awards, and was nominated for two BAFTA Games awards.

The game is available for purchase worldwide from iTunes for devices running iOS 5 upwards.

There are currently no plans for Android or Windows Phone releases.

Visit the Nightjar website and follow the game Twitter account for updates, especially as we’ve been told an exclusive competition to win Nightjar posters signed by Benedict Cumberbatch is coming soon!

(I have absolutely no experience with this sort of product, so if the thread title isn't suitable, please let me know!)

• 3 months later...

I tried this today on a friend's iPad and dear me, that's one creepy game :ph34r:.

You have one electric blue slider for spatial orientation and two areas to tap to move your right and left foot, respectively - but that's all the visuals you get, the rest is up to your ears. And they get challenged pretty hard - my friend brought his luxury noise-cancelling headphones and even with those it was difficult enough.

But mostly (have I mentioned that before ;)?) it's seriously creepy (play it in a darkened room for additional effect :unsure:). You don't see a thing (but you hear many, doors opening, lifts moving, etc.); there are others in the dark, and they are coming for you if you are not careful and/or quick (and you can hear them approaching very clearly); the voice in your headset seems helpful but is he really? You don't have any choice but to trust him for now, anyway ...

You probably won't be surprised to hear that Benedict Cumberbatch nails the voice of your AI pal (and you can hear the fun he had recording this), but this game might leave you feeling anxious when hearing his voice (it's that good) so I'd consider carefully before giving it a try :lol:.

• Like 1