Sherlock's reputation at the beginning of S3

Caya

I agree with you, restoring Sherlock's reputation should be a fairly straightforward matter.  (Lestrade's reputation may take a bit more work, though.)

I don't think Sherlock needs any evidence against Moriarty , he is dead so there can be no retrial  , so it seems pointless.
The judge did order the jury to find Moriarty guilty  , and with him being dead no doubt the jury members will tell tales too.

I was hoping for a press conference from NSY on the result of their investigation into what happened , and for Sherlock to text them all " Wrong~SH"  right in the middle of it  .

I do think Mycroft knows and is assisting Sherlock with the fall , and that Mycroft / the government let Moriarty go because they believed in the code and thought Sherlock could get the code . So they let it play out.

As S1 earlier said the show is only 90mins so they probably won't spend much time on it.

"Fan service" makes me suspect they will spend some time on it, though not answer every question we might have.  But in TRF they used publicity to trap Moriarty and I think it makes sense to use publicity to rehabilitate Sherlock in the public eye.  They have to do this so he can continue working with the police in future.

I think Kitty is more interesting as a disgruntled enemy and could be fun in future episodes.  Kind of like Rita Skeeter and Harry Potter.  I'm all for them firing her.  

Also, it would be good for someone to get the credit for destroying the Moriarty mob, and Lestrade will also need to be rehabilitated with Scotland Yard, so he needs to publicly show Sherlock and he worked together to bring down all those evildoers.  Mycroft will keep the government's name out of it.

• 1 month later...

I hope we can see Kitty Riley as a villain some day.

I think Watson would be less-popular than Sherlock (I bet his moustache has something to do with it) after he was "helping a fraud" or something. But Sherlock really needs to tell everyone what exactly happened :D He can't just say "Hi, im back. Missed me much?". So he has a lot of job to do, when he gets back.

I think Watson would be less-popular than Sherlock (I bet his moustache has something to do with it) after he was "helping a fraud" or something. But Sherlock really needs to tell everyone what exactly happened :D He can't just say "Hi, im back. Missed me much?". So he has a lot of job to do, when he gets back.

Oh, I don't know. I think the moustache makes him look very much the "British army doctor" even if he has been pensioned out. Very distinguished.

But yeah, he is going to have a hard time of it, could even find himself investigated as a possible accomplice to Sherlock's "crimes" since he not only helped the disgraced consulting detective but was living with him, for heaven's sake.

Sherlock is going to have provided proof positive that Moriarty was real and Richard Brook a fake. That is where a certain phone comes in, I believe.

• Like 2

Oooh, that's a brilliant thought! Not many places on that barren roof to hide recording equipment though, and Moriarty's quite perceptive, too. Maybe Sherlock was wired with some high-tech stuff ... which would point to Mycroft, again, I guess.

That rooftop was awash in electronics, there were wires and transmission poles all over the place.  There were nearby buildings with good views of the roof.  Sherlock and Mycroft had ample time, hours, to set up rooftop surveillance and bug the roof, even though high-tech listening and filming devices would have been adequate from a distance.  Although I have to admit it's always been my theory that he just recorded Moriarty in his mobile phone.  You can make movies on the mobile, too, of course. 

And Sherlock could count on Moriarty to "confess" to him, because "that's the frailty of genius ...  it needs an audience."

• Like 4

And Sherlock could count on Moriarty to "confess" to him, because "that's the frailty of genius ...  it needs an audience."

Wow, that's both brilliant and it would so fit the style of Gatiss&Moffat - "But of course we placed a hint ... in S1E1."

• Like 1

Wow, that's both brilliant and it would so fit the style of Gatiss&Moffat - "But of course we placed a hint ... in S1E1."

And there are other hints.  Moriarty is right about there being similarities between himself and Sherlock.  You recall in Baskerville at the beginning when Henry Knight is at the flat, Sherlock starts to give the explanation and John accuses him of just showing off.  He says, "Of course, I am a showoff, that's what we do."

explainingtohenryEDIT.JPG

(explaining to Henry)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I really can't imagine any other point to the rooftop confrontation (at least on Sherlock's side) than to get Moriarty to confess and document that confession in some form. I just wonder how and when it will be made public. What was Sherlock waiting for? If he needed to be believed dead because there were plenty of Moriarty's people left who would have soon killed him or his friends if they knew the fall was fake, he could still have had his own name cleared "posthumously" by making sure the video or sound file or whatever it was exactly, got to Mycroft.

I wonder whether they will introduce the idea from the original that Holmes took control over what was published about him. Until now, John seems to have been allowed to just blog along, but seeing where celebrity led Sherlock in series 2, it would make sense if he demanded to be at least asked for permission in the future.

Holmes was also good at handling the press. Maybe we'll see Sherlock playing with fake ads or misleading journalists as well. The writers will have to think of something to prevent history repeating itself.

• Like 1

I wonder whether they will introduce the idea from the original that Holmes took control over what was published about him. Until now, John seems to have been allowed to just blog along, but seeing where celebrity led Sherlock in series 2, it would make sense if he demanded to be at least asked for permission in the future.

Which canon stories are you referring to?  I know that Holmes is forever bitching about Watson's write-ups being too sensationalized, etc. -- but I don't recall him ever dictating the contents.  Or are you talking about the stories that Watson prefaces by saying something like "only now can I reveal ..."?  I always took those to be saying that anyone who might have been embarrassed by the story has now passed on.  But I'm not really all that familiar with the canon.

Holmes was also good at handling the press. Maybe we'll see Sherlock playing with fake ads or misleading journalists as well.

You mean like the scene in "Six Napoleons" where Holmes asks Lestrade to pass along some disinformation to the journalist?  That was funny -- but presumably also encouraged the criminal to keep on smashing statues, not knowing that Holmes was waiting for him.

• Like 1

One example is Holmes not giving the okay for Watson writing about his return until after 10 years. Another can be found in "The Devil's Foot":

"It was, then, with considerable surprise that I received a telegram from Homes last Tuesday—he has never been known to write where a telegram would serve—in the following terms:

'Why not tell them of the Cornish horror—strangest case I have handled.'

I have no idea what backward sweep of memory had brought the matter fresh to his mind, or what freak had caused him to desire that I should recount it; but I hasten, before another cancelling telegram may arrive, to hunt out the notes which give me the exact details..."

The opening paragraph of "The Devil's foot" tells of how Holmes grew more and more reluctant in general to let his cases be published.

• Like 1

You are very welcome. I didn't read the stories in "His Last Bow" or "The Casebook" until recently myself - before getting a complete Sherlock Holmes from the library, I didn't even know they existed and at first I turned up my snooty nose and decided they wouldn't be any good like most late works of any artist. But I was wrong. There are some very enjoyable pieces among them and "The Devil's Foot" is definitely one of those.

• Like 1

Holmes's aversion to publicity seems to have deepened after his return from the dead. Here is another example from "The Norwood Builder" (the second case after "The Empty House"):

"His cold and proud nature was always averse, however, to anything in the shape of public applause, and he bound me in the most stringent terms to say no further word of himself, his methods, or his successes—a prohibition which, as I have explained, has only now been removed."

Well some people apparently believe in Sherlock in S3:

tumblr_inline_mwqjeiMO001qaitdt.gif

Wasn't there something at Setlock during the filming of E1 where someone overheard Anderson saying to Lestrade, "I believe in Sherlock"?

Still ... Anderson?

Yes, someone who was at a filming location did quote him as saying that.  Poor fellow must be an emotional mess for some reason (guilt?) -- look at that clip you posted, his sweater's buttoned crooked.

And it seems they couldn't quite let go of the idea of him having a beard (like he had in the pilot). Seems like this will be the episode of facial hair. I just hope they let Sherlock's face be.

On why he might be in "Sherlock's fan club": Maybe prior to Sherlock's reappearance some information on Moriarty became public. Proof that Richard Brook was not his real identity, for example. I would assume if Sherlock had his comeback planned, he would reestablish his reputation first in order to get the right kind of welcome.

P.S.: Sorry, I have not yet found out how to use that "spoiler" button.

If you want to use the "automated" button, you first need to highlight whatever you want hidden, then click on the BBCode icon (third icon in the top row of the edit box), then select "Spoiler."  You'll see your selected text (or whatever) displayed, then just click "OK."

I find it easier to just type in the BBCode myself -- just like this, except use [square brackets] instead of the {curly ones}:

{spoiler}stuff to be hidden{/spoiler}

Back to the discussion:

I suspect you're right, "Richard Brook" has been thoroughly debunked, and Anderson -- who isn't a bad sort, really, just kinda hung up on proper procedure and his own dignity -- is appalled that he had been duped into helping tear Sherlock down.  As for the beard, the reason they shaved him before is that the pilot test audience assumed he was the killer because of it.  But now we know he's just a bit of a jerk, so they can bring it back.  I personally think it makes the character seem a little more "human," which is good.

• Like 1

Thank you! Lets see whether I've mastered it:

As for the beard, the reason they shaved him before is that the pilot test audience assumed he was the killer because of it.

Really? :rofl:

Now I wonder, if Anderson went over to Sherlock's side, what will Sally's point of view be when we see her next? And will Sherlock even want to be on good terms with either of them?

Yup, really, it's in the commentary.

You've raised some interesting questions, especially that last one!  They'll still need some sources of dramatic tension and comedic relief, but switching to something new might not be a bad idea.

Oh, I don't know... why change a running system? And if Anderson was forced to change his mind about Sherlock and feels kind of guilty, that does not mean he'll actually like him any better, especially if Sherlock turns up in person to rub it in.

True -- and it'd be fun to watch Anderson trying to make nice, only to be doubly insulted by Sherlock!

I guess I'm happy either way.  There will surely be some new twists to all of the relationships, which will make for some interesting adjustments.

And will Sherlock even want to be on good terms with either of them?

I don't think Sherlock would bother holding a grudge against Sally and Anderson because he'd see them as nothing more than pawns in Moriarty's game. Sure, they were always unfriendly to him, but that was really small potatoes to Sherlock. The reason they had him arrested was that they were manipulated that way by Moriarty.

Remember how unconcerned Sherlock looked during his arrest? He knew this was just another hoop he was being made to jump through before the real showdown, whatever that might be. He knew the whole thing was ultimately between him and Moriarty.
  • Like 2

Another good point. Also, thinking it over, I realized that it would not have furthered Moriarty's plan to make things look like Sherlock killed himself of his own accord if his three friends had been found shot on the same day. I should really learn to slow my mouth down to the speed of my brain...