I am opening a new topic for this rather than using the other thread, for I tried to do a write-up and had almost every single sentence in spoiler tags, since most of you won't have had a chance to see this yet :( (aside: that is so weird for a European to type, I can't even tell).

So beware: This thread will be full of spoilers. I'm still going to spoiler-tag the huge, storyline-relevant ones that you really, really shouldn't read before seeing it, but the minor ones will be out for everyone to see. If you feel that reading stuff like (TINY SPOILER WARNING):

There's a cameo by a Tribble :boing:

is going to detract from your enjoyment of this film, please turn away now and come back once you've seen it.

Okay, spoiler gloves coming off now.

Star Trek 2 opens in unfamiliar surroundings (the crimson forest seen in the trailer) and ends in very familiar ones,

the beginning of a certain five-year mission. This film is still a prequel to TOS, of sorts.

That's the film in a nutshell - it bridges the gap between old and new, nods towards TOS and introduces fresh concepts, weds existing canon to new storylines. Amazingly, it does so fairly gracefully. It seems to have the potential to lure in both old Trekkers and newbies, a feat in and of itself - and it's also beautifully shot (but why oh why must those 3D films be so dark?) and fun to watch. A bit to hectic at times, but certainly never dull.

The Enterprise's new crew seems more at ease with their roles now, and their interactions are great to watch. In fact, if there's one thing I truly missed, it was more of a chance for the crew to shine - Kirk and Spock and their relationship are very much at the center, while the others could definitely have used more screen time. They do make the most of what they're given, though, and Dr. Marcus fits in well.

Both Pine and Quinto really own their roles this time. They play off each other beautifully, and manage to make both their differences and their friendship feel genuine. Pine's Kirk is both cocksure and vulnerable at times, and while the first film was about his finding his way into the captain's chair, this one is about his proving he truly has what it takes to lead. Spock, still visibly shaken by the loss of his homeworld, is trying to find his place and his path, and alienates both Kirk and Uhura along the way. Spock Prime makes a brief appearance, too, and it's a joy to watch the two of them interacting (I'd be so freaked out by another me, but Vulcans seem to take it in stride). By the end of the film,

Kirk shows he understands being a captain by sacrificing himself for his crew, and Spock shows he understands being a friend by bringing him back, a sweet echo of the film's beginning. Also, a beautiful Wrath Of Khan echo.

That being said, let's move on to the part you're probably reading this for :lol:: Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as John Harrison.

Who about halfway through the movie calmly states that his real name is, in fact, Khan. Yes, they really went there. Although he's Space Seed Khan and not Wrath of Khan Khan, so to speak. So no Ceti eels, thankfully.

He's beyond amazing. Bringing a deadly stillness and an earnest gravitas to this role, his John Harrison is genuinely terrifying. Much has been said about the prison cell scenes, and rightly so - they're pitch perfect - but there's one scene in the sickbay, where Harrison just sits, ramrod straight, and then calmly turns to watch Kirk with those glasz eyes, that makes a shiver run down your spine. Harrison's aloof and deadly, secretive, a brilliant fighter both with weapons and words, and very much a complex villain.

Though, as it turns out, this film has *two* villains, and as far as justification's concerned, Khan has a lot more of it than Admiral Marcus, imho.

His fight scenes are a blast to watch (and show an increased degree of confidence in BC's movements that I can't wait to see in season 3), and there's a great scene after the first big melee

on Qo'noS, when Khan has just wiped the floor with a whole bunch of Klingons, saving the lives of Kirk, Spock and Uhura along with some not-currently-redshirts; he then calmly walks over, asks them a question and surrenders. The looks on the away team's faces are priceless.

My favourite scenes, though, are the ones where

Kirk and Khan form an uneasy alliance, working together while knowing that it's a question of when, not if, this truce will fall apart.

Pine and Cumberbatch really pull this off amazingly and it's pure joy to watch these two different yet alike characters in that situation.

And having seen them, I now shall forever regret that there was never such a scene between Sherlock and Moriarty, that would have been ... words fail me. It's difficult to imagine just what would have forced those two to join forces temporarily, though - but pine for it I shall, regardless.

J.J. Abrams leaves the franchise with a beautiful, upbeat ending and the potential for a great new beginning, and one can only hope that whoever takes the helm next doesn't squander that. Exiting the cinema to the sound of the classic score, I left with a huge smile on my face.

Oh, and Khan survives, they put him into cryostasis again. The possibilities ...

eta: There's a little scene that has to be an actor allusion of sorts near the end of the film. There's that massive crash from the trailer, and Spock tells the crew to scan the wreckage for Harrison's life signs (paraphrasing here cause I saw the dubbed version). Sulu (iirc) protests that there's no way anyone could have survived that and Spock basically responds that oh, he could. Cue to them finding life signs and putting the signal on the screen, and Harrison jumping off the wreckage to the baffled exclamations of the crew that he could take a leap off somewhere that high :lol:.

• Like 4

Thank you for starting a new thread for the spoilers!

Now excuse me while I run out of here with my fingers in my ears, singing "La-la-la-la-la" at the top of my lungs!

The following link leads to a short (1min) video of an incredibly perfect scene from the film; beware of the spoiler, though (it's well cut, so that you don't really learn what's going on if you didn't know beforehand, but there's one big honking spoiler of a name being mentioned right in the middle).

Here you go, don't say you weren't warned.Link in itself is no spoiler yet, so I'm leaving it untagged, but go there and you *will* be spoilered.

I eventually saw this last night.

In 3D.

Absolutely loved it.

Brilliant film.

Excellent performances all round.

An aural and visual treat.

So exciting.

Strongly recommended.

Is the 3D well done?  (I've heard that Star Trek wasn't actually filmed in 3D (like The Hobbit), but had it added later.)  I haven't seen it yet, and am pondering which version to see.

I found it too dark at times but otherwise well done. Gives you a real spatial feeling for the Enterprise that I don't think the 2D version would (haven't seen it in 2D, though). Haven't seen the IMAX 3D version (yet) either but I've heard good things about it.

Is the 3D well done?  (I've heard that Star Trek wasn't actually filmed in 3D (like The Hobbit), but had it added later.)  I haven't seen it yet, and am pondering which version to see.

I've seen it three times since it opened wide here and will see it again tonight.    See the 3-D just for that first shot of Harrison.  Then you can see it over and over until your resolve weakens on a regular screen.

I didn't find the 3D dark, but I was in an IMAX.

Benedict Cumberbatch's performances always leave me breathless.  Pretty much speechless.  "Poleaxed by talent into tongue-tied mediocrity." 

It doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes in Atonement being stunningly creepy or carrying all five episodes of Parade's End or doing BBC radio or being Rory on 40 Something or ....  here's something from Caitlin Moran's last interview:

brightly+gone.JPG

• Like 3

Just saw it on the regular screen and it was lovely.  I am an ancient Star Trek girl though. Saw the very first episode with Dad and brothers at aged 11.  I love the reboot, embrace it wholheartedly and the concept is delicious for those of us who remember the firsts, the way the timeline alterations have things looping back on themselves but eerily twisted though the characters remain essentially true to themselves. And Ben is very cool as the bad man. All that assurance and charm so you want to sympathize and then - bam! - he crushes your head. Literally. I didn't 3D, but I might go see it at an IMAx theater.

It's number one at the box office but already the critics are grousing because it didn't pull in over a hundred thousand dollars in the first week end domestically.

It's number one at the box office but already the critics are grousing because it didn't pull in over a hundred thousand dollars in the first week end domestically.

You meant 100 million, I think. ;)   I doubt anyone would expect it to make that much considering the recession and movie-going habits being what they are these days, the 70M gross is quite respectable, I think it approaches 90 including the first few days.  We'll see if it has legs, though.  The Star Trek franchise itself has fallen off, too long between films, I think. 

Yeah, millions....thousands....it's all numbers and Greek to me...but anyway...according to the so called experts, it was slatted to make between 80 and 100 million but because it didn't break the 100 mark the first weekend they were complaining. Why, I don't know, maybe because they feel that they can. But it has already made double what the 2009 Star Trek movie pulled in over seas in the same time period.

. But it has already made double what the 2009 Star Trek movie pulled in over seas in the same time period.

I wonder what they are doing?  Because it opened a full week or more overseas before it opened here.  So, if they are counting all the receipts, that's at least two week-ends and the week days on at least three continents.  Maybe four.  Maybe they just had to do it that way to get the actors all around the world for promotion, but it feels like propping up the numbers. 

I don't care.  The faster I can get it on DVD the happier I'll be.

Maybe when they said "same time period" they meant that the viewing time that a movie starts it's  run over seas. If the over seas market always get the movies before the US and Canadian audiences then that would work for the 2009 viewing as well.

I don't need a director's cut. Just all the footage they left out. Including the much-anticipated shower scene.

There was a shower scene?

showerbegin.JPG

Apparently JJ had some sort of mental breakdown and cut it.  I'll take an all-Cumberbatch DVD, please.