Canon References In BBC Sherlock

believeinsherlock

Ooh also - the client who we see briefly, with the tattoo referring to his Japanese ex-girlfriend? I do believe thats Ezikiah Hopkins, the client from 'the red-headed league'... The deduction about manual labour from his hand size is consistent with that story, as is the comment about having done something clever. Also, the character's accent is just like the accent in the Granada version of that story :D I love this...

So sorry - not Ezikiah Hopkins - the client's name is Jabez Wilson... Should have checked before posting :D... Now I need to find out who is the other?

Also, re: Norbury... In 'the yellow face,' Norbury is the name of the place where the case happens. In the story, Holmes gets the solution completely wrong and is surprised at the end, which is why he asks Watson to remind him of the case if he seems to be getting too arrogant or over sure of himself.

John's line to Mary- something like: 'l may not be a very good man, but I think I'm a better one than you give me credit for' also comes from that story.

• Like 1

On to "The Lying Detective." Clearly it's based on Conan Doyle's story "The Dying Detective" -- but some of the borrowings from that story may not be all that obvious, and some elements may have been borrowed from other canon stories.

We just rewatched the episode, and I recall noticing something straight out of Conan Doyle -- though I wasn't sure which story, and now I don't even recall what it was that I noticed.  I'm sure the rest of you have been more observant, so what have you noticed?

Well, Culverton Smith is obviously the villain in the original story, and the plot follows broadly the same lines - Holmes making himself sick, mrs Hudson calling in Watson, and catching the criminal in the act of killing Holmes... For more specifics, I will watch the episode again tomorrow!

Edited by Arcadia
Quote added for clarity since this has been merged with another thread.
  • Like 1

"The game's afoot!" That's about the extent of my canon knowledge.... XD Although if I ever knew Doyle was quoting Shakespeare there, I've forgotten it.

• Like 1

Aha, found it! Here is JP's link to a whole list of canon references. Maybe you lot have found them all by now, I haven't checked.

http://buddy2blogger.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/six-thatchers-canonical-references-nods-original-stories-novels-arthur-conan-doyle-sherlock-holmes.html

• Like 2

I was rather taken with the jellyfish one. I just figured that was Moffat being funny! :d

With the original, I've always wondered whether "Culverton Smith" might be a double surname, and I'm still not sure. In the episode, however, it's clearly a first and last name.

Aha, found it! Here is JP's link to a whole list of canon references. Maybe you lot have found them all by now, I haven't checked.

http://buddy2blogger.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/six-thatchers-canonical-references-nods-original-stories-novels-arthur-conan-doyle-sherlock-holmes.html

So now this entire thread can be reduced to "read J.P.'s blog." :D

Edited by Arcadia
Quote added for clarity since this has been merged with another thread.

J.P. has always been a most helpful member, but nothing beats re-reading the originals, as well as any reliable Sir Arthur biographies and trivia.

Hah! I'm reading Ariane DeVere's transcript, which reminded me of something (though not, I think, the one I had in mind). In the children's ward, Sherlock mentions "The Case of the Killer Orang-Utan," which is of course not ACD canon, but rather Edgar Allen Poe.

Thank God. I was thinking Doyle had jumped the shark. :D

• Like 1

Check out this compilation of references in Steven Moffat's TLD script:

http://buddy2blogger.blogspot.in/2017/01/lying-detective-canonical-references-nods-arthur-conan-doyle-stories-novels.html

B2B.

Edited by Arcadia
clarified which script
  • Like 2

Thanks, B2B -- and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Now our challenge will be to see if we can find any references you've overlooked!

• Like 1

Thanks, B2B -- and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Now our challenge will be to see if we can find any references you've overlooked!

Thank You Carol for your kind words of appreciation :)

Check out this compilation of references in the T6T script by Mark Gatiss:

http://buddy2blogger.blogspot.in/2017/01/six-thatchers-canonical-references-nods-original-stories-novels-arthur-conan-doyle-sherlock-holmes.html

B2B.

Edited by Arcadia
clarified which episode was referenced
  • Like 2

Someone had already posted a link to your list, B2B -- but it's great to have the author here in person! :applause:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've merged the "Canon References" for T6T and TLD here. Took quite a bit of editing, so I'll get around to TFP later. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Okay, I've merged the "Canon References" for T6T and TLD here. Took quite a bit of editing, so I'll get around to TFP later. Enjoy!

What? Where?