Canon References In BBC Sherlock

believeinsherlock

Scroll up. ;)

What I mean is, I got rid of the other threads and put all the canon references here. So, yeah, just, um, scroll up. :smile:

The Series 4 references start here: http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/117-canon-references-in-bbc-sherlock/?p=113485

• 6 months later...

No, Doyle never once included the "Jack The Ripper" mystery in any of his stories and it has been wondered why since Doyle was actually instrumental in helping the police in solving several crimes. Maybe that's why there was at least one Sherlock Holmes story where Sherlock was "The Ripper" himself. No, I don't get the idea that Doyle was in anyway involved in the "Ripper" crimes.

But his father was institutionalized and an escaped mentally ill patient would write a long letter detailing the murders and confessing to the murders, both in London and a similar out break of such murders in the US. Maybe this just struck to close to home for Doyle.

Hi,

I've been interested in The Whitechapel Murders for around 30 years, I post on the Casebook site and the JTR Forum and have nearly 300 books on the subject. Fairly recently there was a book published called The Strange Case Of Dr Doyle: A Journey Into Madness, in which the author proposes Doyle as the Ripper! It's possibly the worst book on the subject ever written (worse than the ones proposing Lewis Carroll or Toulouse L'Autrec!) Doyle was interested in true crime and was a member of The Crimes Club but he definately wasn't the Ripper. Surprise, surprise!

• Like 1

Hi all,

Bit late posting but I've only just joined. Another reference is the use of Sherrinford as the name of the prison island. Doyle was initially going to call Holmes and Watson 'Sherrinford Holmes and Ormand Sacker.' Thank god he changed his mind.

• Like 2

Ormand Sacker. :rofl:

It could be a nice fit for the rage issues that our John has, though.  Because nothing says "beat me up and steal my lunch money" quite like a name like Ormand Sacker.

• Like 2

I feel the need to repeat that in the Doyle stories, there is no third Holmes sibling. There isn't even a hint of one. "Sherrinford" is really just the name Doyle originally thought of for Holmes. It's an old fan theory that this is the name of another brother.

The "East Wind" is a quote from "His Last Bow" and supposedly refers to the beginning of WWI.

• Like 4

Ormand Sacker. :rofl:

It could be a nice fit for the rage issues that our John has, though.  Because nothing says "beat me up and steal my lunch money" quite like a name like Ormand Sacker.

zGq9DDe.gif

Y'all are in rare form today!

I feel the need to repeat that in the Doyle stories, there is no third Holmes sibling. There isn't even a hint of one. "Sherrinford" is really just the name Doyle originally thought of for Holmes. It's an old fan theory that this is the name of another brother.

The "East Wind" is a quote from "His Last Bow" and supposedly refers to the beginning of WWI.

The speech was also spoken by Rathbone at the end of Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror.

• Like 2

And so many people believe that "Sherringford" is the name of another brother... Where did that fan theory come from?

Thank you for sharing the meaning of the "East Wind", by the way.  :)

We know about Sherrinford from Doyle's notes and, if I remember correctly, it's mentioned in Doyle's autobiography which is called 'Memories and Adventures.' He was originally going to call 'A Study In Scarlet,' 'The Tangled Skein.'

• Like 2