Mary's here now

Mary

Hello, dear Sherlock Fan Forum!

My name is Mary and I am a 16 years old student from Germany. That means I'm no native-speaker and my english can be quite funny sometimes. I'm aware of the age 18 rated area here and though I'm not keen on finding out, I actually wonder what you're discussing there.

I might be friendly in forums, but in real life I wouldn't call myself a nice person. At least not in association with my school comrades. Wait... have you ever had the subliminal feeling that you're constanty dealing with people whose IQ is on room temperature? Enough said. I promise not to make you any trouble, though. I can be a quite pleasant person after all. 

I'm addicted to Sherlock since... uff, I would say Christmas last year. I remember that my mother had spotted the series on german TV once so I actually owe her my addiction. She's also supporting me in my wish to have a life-sized bison skull at my wall (the one I'm not shooting of course) and to have a tattoo on my left shoulder as soon as I'm 18. 

I've considered to register as 'Clara' since it's my middle name (Well, in german spelling it's Klara). However, I choosed Mary because I'm also known as 'Mary Me' in another Sherlock forum, where I'm quite active. 

My signature reveals some of my favorite quotes. I wanted to put an image there but it was too big. Oh weeeelll....

Anyway, I'm hoping for a nice time here and looking forward to (virtually) meeting you all!

Greetings from Germany,

Mary

Hi, Mary, welcome.  We're glad you're "here, now!"

I am much older than you are and have never been in the adults only forum.  I'm not sure I want to see or read anything that would have to be in there.

Julia Mae

Greetings Mary! So glad you found us. I'm sure you'll get along just fine. We seem to be able to discuss things and be very adult and mature about it all whether we agree all the time, or not. :welcome:

Hello Mary and :welcome:! Glad you found your way here, and don't worry about your German - I'm from Vienna, and everybody here has been incredibly nice about my mauling their language :D. Besides, wow, your English is impressive - I wish I'd even been half as good at it when I was 16.

But I must admit I'm curious - why a bison skull? Is there a story behind that choice?

But I must admit I'm curious - why a bison skull? Is there a story behind that choice?

I assumed it had something to do with this:

skull221ba.JPG

But it doesn't look like a Bison to this former Coloradan.   Looks African to me.

I thought that one was an antelope :huh: (don't have the casebook to check atm, though).

Hello Mary :welcome: to Sherlock Forum!

And the others are right, your English is very good!

:wave3:

Thank you all for your warm welcome!  :)

Julia Mae, you're assuming right. In fact, it is a bison skull according to Sherlockology, which is painted black for some reason.

Ah!  It's a European bison, then!  Longer horns.

per Wikipedia:

170px-Euroameribison.jpg

Left is the Euro one.

The things you can learn on this forum :applause: - comparative bovine anatomy *g*. Thanks Mary and Julia Mae, I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that was an antelope.

• Like 1

The things you can learn on this forum :applause: - comparative bovine anatomy *g*. Thanks Mary and Julia Mae, I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that was an antelope.

It looks quite antelope-y what with the bony eye orbits eroded off somehow! 

BTW - I come from backgrounds in law enforcement and science and have interest in precision of facts and minutiae.  This gets to be quite irritating to people around me.  Too old to change, however. 

Would you like to read a few hundred words on a Parker Duofold Pen with an Iridium nib?

nevermind

• Like 1

Gotta dash off to school now and so can't give your monograph the attention it deserves, but wow - you must have been sorry when Sherlock took down that analysis of tobacco ash :lol:.

Seriously, I admire people who can pay that much attention to detail. I'm much too scatterbrained for something like that.

eta: Read it now - oh my, you and Sherlock would get along fabulously :D. You have to write fanfiction; I want to read your having Sherlock do his analysis sooo bad right now.

In the Case Book, page 111, there are three post it notes, with an arrow pointing to the animal skull with white head phones, on the left hand side at the bottom of the page. They read as follows

1) I have never been sure whether this was a joke or an experiment to test how unendurable Sherlock's music collection is post mortem, perhaps.

2) I never lose them.

3) And they smell of antique antelope! Will the pleasures never end?

But according to "WearSherlock" on tumblr and Sherlockology it is a bison skull and attested to by Arwel Wyn Jones who bought it on line and painted it black and added the white earphones. So I guess, there you have it.

Well maybe Watson is as clueless about the finer points of ungulate anatomy as I am :lol:. The post-it that calls it an antelope was his, iirc.

Hey! Don't you go saying my Watson is clueless, believe me, you won't be hearing the end of it if you do. He certainly DOES know, his resume is quite extensive and he is extremely experienced. He may not be on such levels as myself, but he is intelligent and not clueless in the least! Have you got that?

• Like 1

Okay, okay, I'm retracting my statement - I'm sure the good doctor is as erudite as our own Julia Mae about bison taxonomy and just called it an antique antelope because that's such a nice alliteration :).

• Like 1

Hey! Don't you go saying my Watson is clueless, believe me, you won't be hearing the end of it if you do. He certainly DOES know, his resume is quite extensive and he is extremely experienced. He may not be on such levels as myself, but he is intelligent and not clueless in the least! Have you got that?

Why would a medical doctor who treats people know anything about ungulate anatomy? 

Somebody needs a smoke.

Excuse ME, he's not simply a medical doctor. He's a highly trained army doctor and a Captain, formerly of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers. He has many years of excellent training. If he does not and I am in error, which I highly doubt that I am, I shall not withdraw my statement but however I will make attempts to correct myself on the small fact. But to make short of this, do NOT EVER question John Hamish Watson. He is my best friend and my devoted blogger and therefore find anything anyone says that puts him in question as a personal offense. Don't allow it to occur again.

And I do not require a smoke, thank you very much, Miss Mae. My dear friend, in fact, has been keeping me off. I would say that if anyone requires one, it would be you, but clearly you've already been smoking a lot. Ah, what? Oh apparently that was rather rude...

• Like 1

Well..yes....knowing the difference between a antelope skull and a bison would be a bit dicey....especially the different species such as the Asian water bison and the American version, but if Sherlock says it's a bison, who am I to quibble. And yes, since I let it be known where I hid his cigarets in front of Mr. Henry Knight, I have had to improvise another hiding place. No telling this time. No matter what. No.

Yes, Sherlock lets not be rude. You're doing splendidly so far.

• Like 1

And of course you say nothing of the fact that I just defended you when you know I hardly say any such things aloud. So either you find yourself extremely surprised, which you shouldn't. Do you really imagine that I have no respect for your medical abilities? Or you're simply choosing to ignore the fact that I've said anything, which is perfectly fine by me. Why should I care if you choose to acknowledge that I, Sherlock Holmes of all people, have defended you and complimented you in several aspects as well as told you exactly what you are to me? I won't be at the flat. Good night.

• Like 1

(Sigh and face palm) You are such a toddler at times, of course I was surprised but Sherlock I am so pleased at the progress you are showing. And yes, if I failed to show it, thank you. Your defense of me, I consider it to be priceless. Thank you.

Bison, huh?  Yeah, I guess I had also believed the alliterative antelope.

But anyhow, welcome to the forum, Mary!   :welcome:   Glad you're here, and hope you have fun!