Douglas

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes

49 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think I've seen about the same ones Carol mentioned. Of those, I think I liked Young Sherlock the best. Also the Great Mouse Detective (one of my favorites :smile: ) I also remember liking the 7 Percent Solution, although I'm not sure it would hold up now. 

I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of Elementary. I didn't much care for the first RDJ Holmes, but I liked the second one more than I thought I would. Downey's just a really good actor; I keep forgetting that, because he's in so many frothy things. But he's truly fun to watch.

I could just watch Downey's face, forget the plot.  He does pathos especially well.

I really should watch the Great Mouse Detective, I suppose -- everyone keeps saying how much they like it.  I've never seen the 7 Percent Solution either -- I've heard the book is better, but still can't find my father's copy, which I'm sure was around here *somewhere*.

• Like 1

I remember liking the book even better. But that was at a time when it was fun to see icons like Sherlock Holmes being somewhat inverted. I don't know if I would like it now.

You should probably give Iron Man a try, Carol, if you haven't already. It's worth it just to watch Downey.  Imo. :smile: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I could just watch Downey's face, forget the plot.  He does pathos especially well.

I really should watch the Great Mouse Detective, I suppose -- everyone keeps saying how much they like it.  I've never seen the 7 Percent Solution either -- I've heard the book is better, but still can't find my father's copy, which I'm sure was around here *somewhere*.

You surprise me when you say that you’ve never seen TSPS Carol. I absolutely love it but there are some that aren’t keen. I do like The Great Mouse Detective too. I’m yet to see Sherlock Gnomes or the Holmes & Watson movie but ill get them eventually.

Have you, or anyone else, seen the Hammer Hound Of The Baskervilles with Peter Cushing as Holmes?

I'm not sure I'd want to see Sherlock Gnomes (someone please let me know if it's utterly brilliant), and I'm pretty sure that Holmes & Watson is unfortunately just one of Ferrell's lamebrain comedies (too bad, because he's capable of much more).

And no, I haven't seen that particular Hound either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm not sure I'd want to see Sherlock Gnomes (someone please let me know if it's utterly brilliant), and I'm pretty sure that Holmes & Watson is unfortunately just one of Ferrell's lamebrain comedies (too bad, because he's capable of much more).

And no, I haven't seen that particular Hound either.

I’m not overwhelmed with desire to see the Ferrell movie either. Holmes and Watson are pretty much ripe for comic interpretations and you’d feel that with some good writing someone could come up with a funny movie but every single person that I’ve heard comment on this movie has basically called it a complete turd of a movie. I haven’t seen Sherlock Gnolmes either but there’s a fair chance that it’s the more watchable of the two.

The Hammer Hound is great imo. Cushing is one of the best Holmes. Christopher Lee is in it too playing Sir Henry Baskerville.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Have you, or anyone else, seen the Hammer Hound Of The Baskervilles with Peter Cushing as Holmes?

I have! Alas, it was long ago and far away, so I don't remember anything about it except that I was confused that Peter Cushing (instead of Rathbone) was Holmes. That's how young I was. But it made enough of an impression that I remember seeing it.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Unsurprisingly (to me), the Gnomes got pretty blah reviews. (27% on Rotten Tomatoes.) https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sherlock_gnomes/

Ferrell's movie, on the other hand … what Herlock said. (11%!)  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/holmes_and_watson_2018

• Like 1

The critic I read who posted a scathing review of 'Holmes and Watson' called it 'Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen."  I tend not to think it was hyperbole, and that guy sees way more movies than I do.

I am taking his word for it and staying well away.  I can't think of any circumstance where I would *willingly* watch this movie.  There'd have to be like, an actual gun to my head.

• Like 2

Oh, I can imagine myself going to see it on a lark.  Maybe with a group of friends who were in the mood to do something silly.  (And maybe being stoned would help.)  But I see so few movies nowadays that I'm pretty selective, so I'll presumably give that one a wide miss.

4 hours ago, Hikari said:

The critic I read who posted a scathing review of 'Holmes and Watson' called it 'Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen."  I tend not to think it was hyperbole, and that guy sees way more movies than I do.

I am taking his word for it and staying well away.  I can't think of any circumstance where I would *willingly* watch this movie.  There'd have to be like, an actual gun to my head.

John  C Reilly is having a mixed time of it. Everyone appears to hate Holmes and Watson but everyone appears to love Stan and Ollie.

As a huge L & H fan I’m dying to see this movie. Have you or anyone else  seen it yet?

I haven't even heard of it. I loved them when I was a kid. But when I saw one recently ... meh. Funny how that works.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, Arcadia said:

I haven't even heard of it. I loved them when I was a kid. But when I saw one recently ... meh. Funny how that works.

I don’t know where I read this Arcadia and I haven’t a clue about how they arrived at it but someone said that women were far less likely to like Laurel and Hardy than men. I have to say that my own personal experience tends to back this up. My two best friends and my two brothers all love them but their wives just don’t get it.

Just one of those things I guess.

Part of it may be that women tend to have a more subtle sense of humor, and even though Laurel & Hardy aren't exactly the Three Stooges, they're still basically a slapstick act.  Plus the humor always seems to come from something going pretty predictably wrong, or from one guy getting even with the other guy, either of which I find more annoying than amusing.

Judging by what little I've seen of them, I like L&H better than T3S, and I will admit that they're very good at what they do, but a little goes  long way with me.

• Like 1

P.S.:  Here's an article I found interesting, comparing the author's knowledge of the actual events to the depiction in Stan & Ollie.

I remember my Dad loved both Laurel and Hardy and the Stooges. I know the physical "violence" became less funny to me as time went on, as did the mockery. But I began to appreciate the Marx brothers more. Whatever any of that is worth.

I don't think I watch any comedies at all on TV any more. I find the humor too mean. Or if not mean, then just ... well, not funny. The last show I remember finding funny was ... well, Sherlock, actually. 😊 But the last comedy that made me laugh was, I think, Home Improvement. That was, what, 20 years ago? Yeesh. I need a tune up.

Yikes, it *has* been 20 years!  (Home Improvement ran from '91 to '99.)  I haven't watched much broadcast TV since then either.  The last broadcast sitcoms I recall really enjoying were Friends ('94 - '04), Frasier ('93 - '04), and Love & War ('92-'93, before they "fixed" it).  The mean-spirited sitcoms started about then, too, such as Seinfeld ('89-'98), which may explain why I mostly stopped watching broadcast television.

• Like 1