My Mum Is Fantastic

aely

Not only do I now have a copy of the "Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" that was hers before she got married (my parents have been married 52 years this year) she also found me an audio book of A Study in Scarlet on tape - which means I can listen to it in the car on the way home.

This will be my introduction to ACD.

• Like 3

Wow! That's an amazing find and awesome of her to give that to you! :) There's nothing like old books... especially ACD! I hope you enjoy them! They are just as fabulous as the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw JB's Holmes at time of broadcast, I just don't remember it well.

• 1 year later...

I've been a Sherlockian for over 40 years.  My greatest (and only) regret about this is that I cannot read the canon again FOR THE FIRST TIME.  I so envy anyone who is doing so.  What a priceless treasure they are about to find, one after another.  Aside from my Lord, nothing else inspires so much passion in me.

As stupendous as BBC's SHERLOCK is, Granada's Sherlock Holmes series is the one for me, not only because of its faithfulness to ACD's canon but also the wonderful characterizations of Brett, Burke, and Hardwicke.

• Like 2

I've also been a fan for 40+ years, read "The Adventures" at 9. I remember when I read "The final problem" I thought Sherlock really died and I was devastated. I returned the book to my Brother's room where I stole all my reading material at the time, and after yelling at me to keep my hands off his stuff, he told me "Sherlock doesn't die , you idiot, he never dies."

I had a taste of what it felt like when ACD first wrote it. So sad.

I like to think of Jeremy Brett as the perfect older Victorian Sherlock and B.Cumberbatch as the perfect young Holmes. You can't have too many Holmes and Watsons. I hear Ian McKellen is going to play a retired Sherlock. Yeah!

"Sherlock doesn't die , you idiot, he never dies."

That would make a great T-shirt!  :D

You can't have too many Holmes and Watsons. I hear Ian McKellen is going to play a retired Sherlock. Yeah!

Yes, indeed!  Have you heard anything beyond that?  Any idea who (if anyone) will play his Watson?

• Like 1

Hhhhmmmm we do have some local shops that do produce T-Shirts. Maybe in the Spring? Or at least after Christmas and New Years if someone in the Forum doesn't do it sooner. You would get full credit, of course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think with the originals you get a greater appreciation of the nature of the new show. And if you've never seen Jeremy Brett's versionl, I urge you to do so.

Yes, you definitely get more from BBC Sherlock by reading the originals. SO many little references to the books are dropped in as little in jokes for ACD canon readers it adds a lot of colour the the programme.

• Like 2

They have certainly got a lot of mileage out of the "Sign of Four" so far and i love the "Adventure of the Black Peter" at the beginning of "HOB".