I certainly don't want to find an eyeball in my cup!!!

Sherlock only takes eyeballs in his tea.  Coffee should be safe enough, as long as we don't let him play with the sugar bowl.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ohhhh....  :o  :o  :o  :o  I didn't know I got so many reply(post) in the thread. This is my first thread. I checked it 5-6 times a day for 2-3 days when i first joined sherlock forum. But there were i guess 5 posts. I thought nobody liked it (entirely). So I stopped visiting this forum. No entirely my fault. I had to wait 24 hours for approval of  my every post. I was disappointed. Anyway I returned again after 2-3 month or so... 

discussion is different than i thought..... My idea was to travel back in time to meet Sherlock of 1900(original sherlock). Will sherlock hokmes be able to guess that we have traveled back time just my looking at us??? We have knowledge of his every case that he had solved and he would solve in his future. perhaps we don't have power like Sherlock but we have knowledge of what would happen next because we have came from future. I guess we would have even opportunity to surprise Sherlock...!!!

We could pretend we are describing him just by looking at him....      

If time travel is unknown in Victorian London, and we voice it aloud, we could be locked up as being insane or worse, be accused of witch craft. And we also have to remember that Watson made it clear that he often changed certain elements of each case so we may not have all the information of any case he may be working on at the time.

Even so, Fox, we'd know quite a lot about Holmes and Watson.  Bear in mind that a time machine could take us to their London only if we were living in their timeline -- meaning that we could consult historical records as well as Watson's writings.

That's an interesting question, Parv, and you're right, we misinterpreted your initial post, probably because you referred to Holmes as "Sherlock."  I think most of us on this forum call the modern-day television character "Sherlock," and refer to the Conan Doyle character as "Holmes."

If you want to know whether a thread has gotten any new posts (without having to check it regularly), you have two options --

1) At the top of any page of that thread, click the "Follow this topic" button.  Then whenever a new post is made on that thread, you will get (depending on your settings) either an email or a Notification.  Or --

2)  Click the "View New Content" button at the top of any page on the entire forum.  You'll be taken to a page that lists all forum posts in time sequence, with the most recent at the top.  I've bookmarked the New Content page, and rarely use the forum home page (main index) at all anymore.

So, everybody, what's your answer to Parv's newly-phrased question?

• Like 1

I think he would see right through me, because I am a TERRIBLE liar. And he is smart enough to believe that maybe people really can come from the future!

Even so, Fox, we'd know quite a lot about Holmes and Watson.  Bear in mind that a time machine could take us to their London only if we were living in their timeline -- meaning that we could consult historical records as well as Watson's writings.

Yes we do, but even so, there is a question.....oh...I think I am understanding. Holmes himself may not know what we case we might taking about but Watson would have to since it would be his account of events that we would be referring to. Case in point, the post made by someone about how the story of "The Cardboard Box" was actually Watson's telling of Holmes's involvement in the Ripper murders. Totally different points of view.

And he is smart enough to believe that maybe people really can come from the future!

Yes he was a brilliant scientific chemist and Forensic Investigator and yes science fiction was being written during the Victorian era but it is a large jump from being a level headed scientific centered person and believing that such things as time travel might be remotely possible in the reality of Victorian England.

Another hurdle might be that since Holmes's interests were very focused on concentrated on materials that dealt with criminals and crime, even if he cared to deduce that we were from the future, he might not care unless we could prove that criminals have evolved to the point that crime had become more interesting and challenging....which....i can't see that it has....except maybe for that gang that is getting away with some pretty big jewel heists in Europe right now.

Then there is the rule of thumb, if time travel would ever be possible and practical, great pains have to be taken by the travelers that nothing is done that could even remotely change the course of history. We would have to dress and act not as people from the future but as recent visitors from that time period to London unless we have people like aely and Slithylove in our group who are natives of England and could pass as such. But we would have to be very careful still.

Right, we'd need to fit into the Victorian Era.  That's the rule in all the time-travel stories.  (Which is, by the way, why I believe a time machine will never be invented -- because if there really were time travelers, some of them would either goof up or show off, revealing their origin -- so we'd know about it -- and we don't.)

But back to Parv's question.  What would Holmes make of our knowledge of his cases, even the future outcomes of his current cases?  Watson seems to believe somewhat in the supernatural, but Holmes does not.  So I suspect he'd think we must know somebody involved in the cases, and were perhaps even part of the gang ourselves.  So maybe not a good idea to show off!  Maybe best to just enjoy meeting him, say very little ourselves, and listen to what he has to say.

Well unless there's such a thing as Star Trek's Temporal Investigations and they see to it that any gaffe is covered up.

Z8TfSFJ.gif

After all, they have all the time in the world to correct it :D.

As for Parv's question, even if any time traveller would be able to fool everybody else (and the correct vernacular for that time period would be daunting even for natives, I think) I doubt that Holmes wouldn't notice something was amiss. No idea what he might deduce from it, though (he doesn't have today as a frame of reference, for starters):

• Like 1