Jeremy Brett

Alice Holmes

Right. I just checked with Ariane DeVere's transcript. I recall noting which end it was when I watched the episode. Don't recall now, but probably the north.

Right. I just checked with Ariane DeVere's transcript. I recall noting which end it was when I watched the episode. Don't recall now, but probably the north.

Hi Carol,

I was on the Thames embankment not far from Embankment Tube Station (opposite side of the road.) I could be totally wrong but it just looked 'familiar.' I can't see the relevant episode at the moment though.

Waterloo Bridge?

I always get my Thames bridges mixed up Arcadia as there are so many. Plus I was underneath it (not in the Thames I hasten to add.)

• Like 3

I've double-checked with good ol' Sherlockology, and Sherlock's encounter with the homeless girl was indeed under the north end of the Waterloo Bridge. They have this to say about it:

Sherlock and John 'access the homeless network' on the northern side, having jumped the railings on the Victoria Embankment. Their meeting takes place directly beneath the bridge, in an elevated seating area with the aforementioned clean view to Westminster. However, the location for the scene was chosen for a reason, as in reality you will frequently find the homeless sleeping rough here early in the morning.

According to Google Maps, that site is only about 1500 feet from the Embankment station, roughly three-tenths of a mile or half a kilometer. Not all that far. So perhaps that really was the place you noticed.

• Like 1

Hi Carol,

Wi-Fi at this hotel is hopeless so im struggling to stay online. You're right it was the spot I knew that I recognised it. I went on a Sherlock Holmes walk today mainly based on Sherlock. I stood near the 'Diogenes' and on the spot in Piccadilly Circus where the guy (or girl I can't recall) had a bomb strapped to her. I also saw the place that was used as The Diogenes in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes and the place used as the theatre in `Murder By Decreee.' Had to resist correcting the guide on a few issues but it was really good. A couple of Robert Downey Jnr Holmes sights too. Only one for Brett☹️ What is the world coming too!

Sounds like a fun tour! If you have time to see a few more Sherlock filming locales, just check out Sherlockology (use my Waterloo Bridge link a couple posts back). They give all the details you need to find a place, including the address if there is one.

Alex and I had great fun doing our own tour a few years back. We never did figure out quite where the bomb guy was standing, though.

And no one would be surprised to find out that the same bridge was used for Child in Time, as well as the place further upstream (cannot remember which bridge that is near) where Sherlock had his fateful conversation with Euros posing as Ms Smith. BC must have liked those locations. There, one more hijacked thread!

Back home now and with usable wi-fi! One thing I forgot to mention was that I passed the location at St. Bart's where Sherlock 'jumped.' There is Sherlock-related messages and graffiti everywhere. There were even messages on every dusty window. I took photos but the file sizes are too large to post.

Back home now and with usable wi-fi! One thing I forgot to mention was that I passed the location at St. Bart's where Sherlock 'jumped.' There is Sherlock-related messages and graffiti everywhere. There were even messages on every dusty window. I took photos but the file sizes are too large to post.

Is the phone booth still covered with post-it notes?

• Like 1

Not a thing except Moftiss said that's what they were working on next. :(

I'm watching an episode of The Love Boat right now from 1984, Season 7, Episode 21, with an adorable Jeremy Brett playing Ace's valet.

• Like 2

I admire your commitment Pamela. There can be few biggest fans of Brett (as Holmes) than me but I doubt that I'd have the endurance to sit through an entire episode of The Love Boat

• Like 1

Aw now, The Love Boat was cute. ;) Not great drama, obviously, but it was fun to see familiar actors in unfamiliar roles.

• Like 2

To be honest Carol, I can't really recall ever watching it. I recall it being on tv here though. I haven't seen the Brett clip. I agree it's good to see actors in unfamiliar roles. Especially when they are younger and not famous. Jude Law in 'Shoscombe Old Place' is a good example.

• Like 1

I liked the theme music and Captain Stubbing! But I can't remember the particular episode! After Captain Stubbing, Jean-Luc Picard seemed a logical choice for ST:TNG!

Here are Jeremy Brett's scenes in The Love Boat episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWeLJZirtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWk9tIUv20U

• Like 2

Urk, that show is just as ... not to my taste ... as I remembered it. I hope he at least got the girl in the end. 

I very well may have seen that episode as a kid (yes I watched way too much tv when I was young).

• 4 months later...

I just thought that I’d post these links for any Brett fans who might not have heard them. In 1989 Brett and Hardwick appeared on stage in The Secret Of Sherlock Holmes. No footage is known to exist but these are 3 x 10 minute audio excerpts which are posted on YouTube. Tantalisingly the poster said that he intended to post the whole show but no more have appeared. It’s very frustrating.....they must exist. I’ll keep searching. You can buy the book The Secret Of Sherlock Holmes: A Play In Two Acts by Jeremy Paul but it’s a bit expensive. With postage the cheapest I’ve found is £33. I’ll leave it for the moment though I don’t know how long I’ll be able to resist the temptation?

I hope you enjoy listening. You’ll need headphones turned up a little which can be an issue because their is a lot of shouting. Brett getting a bit theatrical🙂

Now can someone explain this? Whenever I’ve posted a link before it’s only the link that has come up. Never any picture? 

• Like 1