Jeremy Brett

Alice Holmes

Because of the above I thought that I’d try posting one of my portraits. Something that I’ve never be able to do before even after I’d ‘compressed’ the image with a new app. This is a compressed image and it appears to have been accepted. Weird!

1CA5A4CE-6EEF-4946-ABC9-C6E41577590D.jpeg

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity I’ll try an post a non-compressed image. 

It says that I can only upload 102.4 kB. Does that mean that the individual file is too large or is that a cumulative figure which includes the Cushing portrait? Does it include the YouTube link too? If it’s cumulative does that mean that I can never post another image again because I’m at my limit?

First of all; nice drawing! Pencils?

Okay, I'll do my best to answer your questions (I'm no expert). Re: video links ... I have no idea why sometimes it appears as a link, and sometimes as an embedded video. As far as I can tell, that's under the control of the software, not the user. There have been times when I've linked to a video, and all I see is a link; then I'll go back a few days later and it's miraculously transformed itself into a video. Or vice versa. No rhyme or reason to it that I can detect.

However, if you post a link to a video and the link doesn't work, that's usually a format error in the code. With the new software, at least so far, we're not able to go back and edit the code like we used to. Hopefully that's a feature that will be installed eventually?

Re: images ... the difference is, when you link to a video, that video is already stored on another site somewhere, usually YouTube. But in the case of your own photos, until you post them, they're only stored on your personal device. It's only when you upload them to the forum that they become stored on the internet, where people can link to them, just like a video.

But ... when you upload them here, you're storing them on the forum, which only has so much room. Therefore, each member is only allotted a certain amount of space, which fills up quickly. Yes, it's accumulative, because everything you store here, stays here, whether you've linked to it or not. I don't remember what the allotment per person is, but it's not much. I'm pretty sure links don't use up any of your allotment; just the actual files you upload.

So the solution is to store your images somewhere else on the internet, and then link to them from the forum, the same way you link to a video. 

Does that help?

• Like 1

Thanks Arcadia. Yes that helps...I think. So that means that if I wanted to I can never post another image (I don’t mean a drawing of mine, it could be anything) because that one portrait has used up most of my allotment?

If I did want to try posting something in the future is it possible for mods to remove the existing picture to ‘make space?’) Apologies for being the dumbest kid in the class here😀

The drawing was in coloured pencil by the way, on pastel paper.👍

You can delete your embedded pictures yourself, Herlock.  Somebody explained how just the other day, but I've forgotten already.  :huh:

By the way, one of the other videos that comes up after that third Holmes-play one shows Edward Hardwicke in a blue sweater.  I've seen that interview with him and Brett, and it's definitely worth watching -- to see them as themselves, if nothing else.

Okay, that was embarrassing. I just wrote a bunch of nonsense which I hope nobody saw before I edited it. :o

I figured out where to see the attachments, but I'm darned if I can find a way to delete one.

You can see how much space you have left, though. Click on your name in the top right hand corner, select "My Attachments."

That's all I've got at the moment.

• Like 1

Herlock, if you use an image-hosting site, you won't need to worry about how much space you have left for embedding images.  As I mentioned recently in the Beware of Photobucket thread, they're starting to make an effort to seem halfway reasonable, so you might even consider them (if you have $100/year extra, or whatever that is these days in pounds).

• 1 month later...

And not to mention, of course: that not only was Jeremy Brett, in my opinion, the best Sherlock Holmes; but he was probably one of the best actors to ever portray Sherlock Holmes! In fact, he was one of the best actors: period! 

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 10:55 AM, Douglas said:

And not to mention, of course: that not only was Jeremy Brett, in my opinion, the best Sherlock Holmes; but he was probably one of the best actors to ever portray Sherlock Holmes! In fact, he was one of the best actors: period! 

Hello Douglas,

I couldn’t agree more. Four other names come to mind who were all considered great actors in their time. Nicol Williamson and Robert Stephens who both only played Holmes once. And then, on radio we had Sir John Gielgud and Orson Welles. Stephens and Brett were best friends.

For me, and many more, Brett stands alone as Holmes👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hello Douglas,

I couldn’t agree more. Four other names come to mind who were all considered great actors in their time. Nicol Williamson and Robert Stephens who both only played Holmes once. And then, on radio we had Sir John Gielgud and Orson Welles. Stephens and Brett were best friends.

For me, and many more, Brett stands alone as Holmes👍

Hi Herlock!

Yes, those other actors that you listed were very good, weren't they! I didn't know that Jeremy Brett and Robert Stephens were best friends! That's interesting! So thanks so much for that info. 

Yes, and even though I liked Basil Rathbone as Holmes, I thought that Jeremy was just brilliant!

Take care.

Kindest Regards, always,

Douglas

Australia

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Rathbone was excellent. As was your namesake Douglas Wilmer.

Thanks, Herlock! Yes, sometimes I can't decide who was actually a better Holmes: Rathbone or Brett! It's a very close call; I reckon! They were both brilliant! 

He was on Sherlock once, the indignant old gent in the Diogenes Club.  (Just in case anyone didn't know that.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

He was on Sherlock once, the indignant old gent in the Diogenes Club.  (Just in case anyone didn't know that.)

Thanks, Carol; I'll have to check that one out. 

He was also in the Bond movie ‘Octopussy,’ And he played Holmes in drag in Sherlock Holmes Smarter Younger Brother. 

The surviving episodes of his stint as Holmes are well worth watching. Many thought at the time that he was the definitive Holmes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It might be mentioned already so sorry for repeating: but I've come upon this picture at Tumblr and I realized that he looks a lot like our Sherlock.

tumblr_onim1cPNmv1vj2w05o1_540.jpg

jeremy-brett-201293-1-402.jpg

It never occured to me because Brett's face is much more angular and he has a different profile, but…

si-holy-church-ofrandomfandom-sherlock-htumblr_muh10yYld51sw2gnno1_500.jpg

• Thanks 1

I can't tell, I'm really bad at seeing the similarities between people. They both look British, that's about as far as I can get. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I can't tell, I'm really bad at seeing the similarities between people. They both look British, that's about as far as I can get. :rolleyes: 

How about they're both men, they're both young and slender, they both have dark hair, .... ?

Two eyes, a nose, know how to look good in formal wear.... slightly effeminate in a strangely sexy way …. :D 

• 3 months later...

Add high cheekbones, a thoroughbred look, and you are there. When they turn on the charm full blast, oh my! The camera loves both of them to bits, although JB has the more hooked Holmes nose. 

On another topic, I have been watching JB play Max de Winter in a 1979 adaptation, and he is up there on a par with Sir Laurence Olivier and Charles Dance, in the more famous versions. What a great actor! 

• Thanks 1