Jeremy Brett

Alice Holmes

Dear Princess among waterfowl, from your mouth to the creators' ears! Up to now they have taken it apart: a quip in Scandal, Joseph Harrison's name used in The Great Game instead of Colonel Walter for the Bruce -Partington plans. But I am a born pessimist! I refer you to my answer in What keeps you hooked to Sherlock in the discussion thread, please!

• Like 1

They used John Harrison's name in TGG? How did I miss that? (Hastily runs to read the transcripts...)

• Like 1

Thank goodness, I thought I'd missed something important. :P

• Like 1

Dear Arcadia,

In the commentary to the Great Game (to me the most worthwhile because it is just Messers Gatiss, Cumberbatch and Freeman), Mr Gatiss clearly says that they used the name Joseph Harison from the Naval Treaty and proceeds to explain its similarities with the Bruce-Partington Plans.

• Like 1

Weird, I never noticed that.  Maybe because I was already aware of what he was driving at?  Will try to pay more attention next time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

To get my mind off SoT, I re-watched The Six Napoleons, with a lovely young Marina Sirtis ( Councillor Troy) and then proceeded to watch The Last Laugh, where she makes another striking appearance as Faustina, Raffles, made approximately around the time BC was one year old and had narrowly avoided death by freezing, left in his step-sister's care. That man must have nine lives, like a cat, never mind Redbeard!

And both Holmes and his natural quarry, Raffles, speak Italian in the respective episodes. Coincidence, coincidence!

Then I watched The Three Gables, that ACD feat of racism and misogyny combined: "Stay here! She's not Moriarty, she's a woman!" :angry: And Dr Watson"s retort: "Just remembrer Holmes, the female can be more deadly than the male" :smile:

And to cap it all, I watched The resident Patient, with Donald Pickering, who played Lestrade in the Polish co-production of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, where poor Mrs Hudson has just completed her spring cleaning before Hurricane Holmes strikes once again, and one of the villains' names in the bank robbery is Moffat!

post-1793-0-33722200-1437671239_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today marks the twentieth anniversary of the death of the man who was Sherlock Holmes above and beyond his calling as an actor! Those of us who experienced the Jeremy Brett version will always remember his versatility, his grace, his wit and his all-encompassing talent despite severe personal problems, ranging from his own disorder to the death of his wife of cancer during the series!

May his soul smile down indulgently on the Christmas Special, because there's no way his perfectionist side would have put up with some of the more glaring shenanigans of the modern version, with the exception of Sir Ian McKellen's Mr Holmes!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Okay, this is weird - or a well known trivia. But it's new to me and kind of happened… again.

(I love when things kind of happen in Sherlockverse - did I mention this before?)

So I was watching the Q&A from TFP screening and the next thing on YouTube was this:

vo0ryx.jpg

It's the Red Headed League, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8xaKIjsuI#t=107.162045

The picture you see over the  mantelpiece is - I think you guessed - the Reichenbach Falls.

032338k6-Reichenbach.jpg

Now, for the lazy - does the Granada series end with Holmes jumping into the falls with Moriarty?

If yes - it seems even the idea of hints and clues hidden on the set is borrowed from earlier versions. Bugger! :wacko:

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

To answer your question, J.P. - yes, there's a Granada/Jeremy Brett episode in which Holmes and Moriarty go into the Reichenbach Falls. (They don't 'jump.') It's called "The Final Problem." It's not the last of the Granada series. If you're familiar at all with the original stories, this story was not the last. The episode is really, really good!

By the way, this episode fortunately starred David Burke as Dr. Watson. After that, Edward Hardwicke assumed the role. He was very good, but Burke was my favorite.

• Like 1

Yes, I love that episode of the Granada series.  Well, in fairness, I love all the episodes.  Even just seeing your avatar, Pamela, gives me an adrenaline rush of love lol.  Jeremy Brett.  Wow wow wow. 

• Like 1

Yes, I love that episode of the Granada series.  Well, in fairness, I love all the episodes.  Even just seeing your avatar, Pamela, gives me an adrenaline rush of love lol.  Jeremy Brett.  Wow wow wow. 

Yep. He was the best. With all respect to Basil Rathbone.

I feel a re-watch urge coming on for both collections. :)

No, the Granada series doesn't end with Holmes's supposed death.  In fact, "The Final Problem" is merely the final episode of the first series.  The second series, naturally enough, opened with "The Empty House," wherein Holmes returns.  Then there are a few more series after that.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Oh, my ears and whiskers! I recently found a young Jeremy Brett photo on Wikipedia, and as Irene Adler remarks in this re-make, I could have cut myself slapping those cheekbones! Why, as a young man he looked like Benedict to an astounding degree!

• Like 1

Oh, my ears and whiskers! I recently found a young Jeremy Brett photo on Wikipedia, and as Irene Adler remarks in this re-make, I could have cut myself slapping those cheekbones! Why, as a young man he looked like Benedict to an astounding degree!

Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?

Oh wait, I think I just saw it - on Jeremy's own Wikipedia page, about a fourth down on the left, captioned "Young Jeremy Brett." Is that the one? Very nice.

• Like 1

Yep! (keeping it 'Sherlock' ^_^ ) That's the one! Unfortunately it cannot be copied from Wikipedia!

Speaking of whom, PlaidAdder has completed her re-watch of the entire Granada Holmes and posted it both in her tumblr page and in Ao3 as a meta : The Best and Wisest Adaptation... with links and GIFs and all the bells and whistles!